• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"view newest posts" icon has a bug

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I click on the icon, the screen that follows says: "No new posts since your last visit." This bug is starting to irk me.

Never mind -- it's no longer occurring. (I would erase this post if I could but the option is strangely unavailable.)
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
It's a glitch between ANN 5.0 and the forums. The individual forums consider your last time to the forums as your "last visit". The main page and the individual threads consider your last time being when you viewed the ANN main page. So the buttons won't work unless there are new posts since you first hit the ANN main page (or if you haven't closed your browser, since it doesn't consider you leaving until you do).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Sounds pretty screwy. I assume that that Dan is working on a solution.....
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
I don't know what Dan's working on, but I do know that an upgrade to phpBB3 would not only fix this problem, but give added functionality to the button.

In phpBB2, the button is based on the last time you visited the forums as a whole (which is currently glitched). It [theoretically] takes you to the newest post since you visited.

In phpBB3, the button works on an individual thread basis. So, if I, say, haven't seen the newest episode of a series and don't want to read the discussion thread yet, when I finally come back after watching the episode, the button will take me to the first new post since I last visited the thread. Despite, perhaps, a few days having passed since I visited.

Plus, unlike vBulletin (which also has this feature), it will stay forever, until I either view the thread, or use the "mark all threads as read" button. It's very convenient.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Actually, I wouldn't say forever - if you don't visit a forum section for a long time some older posts you haven't actually read will no longer be showing as new.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I can vouch that phpBB3 will hold it for at least a year, since it did on the forums I was admin for.

vBulletin drops it after a couple weeks, though.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Here's a related bug that's bugging* the hell out of me; the fora will -- on an intermittent basis -- show all of the threads as having been read. This is really quite irritating when it happens.

*Pun intended! Laughing
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I was just going to post about this. It's kind of annoying so I hope it gets a fix soon.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:46 am Reply with quote
Happened AGAIN!!! (Dunno if this is relevant, but I use Linux.)
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote
Happened again. Seems to occur whenever my computer is turned off. Really quite annoying.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I thought I'd post about this again. It's been MONTHS since the upgrade and the "view newest post" has never worked once for me no matter the sequence of events I take to get to the forums,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
"View Newest Post" does work if you are within the same "session" as your previous visit (i.e. checked earlier that day, haven't closed browser and/or logged out).

I'm pretty sure that the problem has to do with the changes to the site since 5.0 rolled out, and this problem will likely remain until the boards are overhauled and/or switched to phpBB3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1