• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 322,000 PlayStation 4s Sold During Launch Weekend in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote
So, Japanese release sales approx 1/3 of North American release sales where Japanese population approx 1/3 North America. That seems reasonable, but how does it stack up with SONY's expectations for the PS4?

SONY is selling their PC Business ( Never much of a presence in the finished PC market, SONY was really only known as a supplier of parts. ), spinning off their Consumer Electronics / Television Business ( Long time successful name, but also a highly competitive market. ) and placing an emphasis on Cameras ( The former Minolta business + SONY's original Cybershot LOB. ) with Games.

So this is quite important for SONY's future. The times they are a changing.

Mark Gosdin
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
hm, that's good. Can't wait to see how the system does in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
So, Japanese release sales approx 1/3 of North American release sales where Japanese population approx 1/3 North America. That seems reasonable, but how does it stack up with SONY's expectations for the PS4?

SONY is selling their PC Business ( Never much of a presence in the finished PC market, SONY was really only known as a supplier of parts. ), spinning off their Consumer Electronics / Television Business ( Long time successful name, but also a highly competitive market. ) and placing an emphasis on Cameras ( The former Minolta business + SONY's original Cybershot LOB. ) with Games.

So this is quite important for SONY's future. The times they are a changing.

Mark Gosdin

Not well. First of all, Sony shipped 322,000 PS4s but sold 309,000. By sales standards that's a solid number, but by demand standards, that's lackluster and no different from Wii U's weekend sales tally. Don't be surprised to see sales rapidly drop.

You also know that Sony is more than $45 billion dollars in the red as a whole and has lost significant amount of capital and cash flow over a decade period. PS4 makes up a small amount of revenue, but with the rest of their main core divisions waning, PS4 barely makes much of a difference and won't even make a dent in Sony's debt. With a "Junk" credit rating a "F" in growth and profitability ratings, Sony is just a few years from filing Chapter 9 bankruptcy. By 2016, it's almost highly likely.

The misconception with alot of people is that since PS4 is doing well, Sony is doing well. Which is exactly the opposite.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:

Much better launch than the PS3 launch (~180k first week), but in the end they don't expect it to sell total as much as PS3 (80+ million).

And unfortunately, it takes years for console development to finally be a profit - it took Xbox 360 till 2009 and PS3 till 2010 (after ~$3B and ~$5B losses respectively).

mgosdin wrote:

And they're selling their building for around $150 million (they already sold their Manhattan HQ for $1.1 billion): Loss-saddled Sony to sell its Tokyo 'birthplace'
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

mgosdin wrote:

And they're selling their building for around $150 million (they already sold their Manhattan HQ for $1.1 billion): Loss-saddled Sony to sell its Tokyo 'birthplace'

Yeah I remember reading about that a few hours earlier but I didn't bother bringing that up, but thanks for doing it for me, Enurtsol. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1