• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Abarenbō Rikishi!! Matsutarō Anime's TV Spot Previews Animation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
Yikes! That looks like ugly animation from the 70s. If Toei is using animation this crappy for the New Sailor Moon, it is going to suck.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Yikes! That looks like ugly animation from the 70s. If Toei is using animation this crappy for the New Sailor Moon, it is going to suck.

Nah, that is Toei being there usual cheap selves.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's the whole point of this, since it's a very old manga anyways.

BTW, Kozo Shioya as another fat guy: We know he's fat in real life, but maybe he should do another kind of characters besides fatties. Laughing
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Will anyone in Japan outside of the older fanbase who should be well into their 30's and 40's watch this. I can see the dated looking animation turning off kids and those who never read or seen the original series.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to this (edit: age 41, full disclosure). Animation looks fine for TV (though the character designs will no doubt be offputting to some). I for one love the more story-oriented 70s anime. That ramshackle early Showa aesthetic, where the country's just starting to emerge from the shadow of the war, is also interesting when not over-sentimentalized.

BTW: Matsudaira Ken made his name in TV period dramas, notably "Abarenbo Shogun," (imagine "Gunsmoke" as a samurai drama) so I'm not sure whether the casting director for "Abarenbo Rikishi" was thinking outside the box, or had his head stuck all the way in it.

Anyway, Matsudaira also sings, so brace yourself for... MatsuKen Samba!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vedwQFQIYY
(he takes the stage around the one minute mark)
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Animation looks fine for TV

It looks fine if you have lived under a rock for the last 20 years. Just because this is a TV anime, it does not have to have crappy animation. Just look at how great Gargantia, Nagi no Asukara and Kill la Kill (all from 2013) look.

Also, Kyoto Animation and P.A. Works regularly produce great-looking TV anime.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
vanfanel wrote:
Animation looks fine for TV

It looks fine if you have lived under a rock for the last 20 years. Just because this is a TV anime, it does not have to have crappy animation. Just look at how great Gargantia, Nagi no Asukara and Kill la Kill (all from 2013) look.

That's a liiiittle different. Toei usually does anime for children that lasts for a long period of time. This means a stretched budget. Gargantia was 13 episodes. Nagi no Asukara and Kill la Kill were two cours. We have no idea how long this anime will last. For all we know, it could be two years (this is just an example, it is unknown how long the anime will last).

I was amazed at how many veterans they got for this show! I love Yuko Mizutani (Digimon!), so it should be interesting how this all plays out.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Didn't say it looks great. I said it looks fine. Servicable. Nothing to get in the way of my enjoyment.

[deleted snippiness, sorry about that]

Looking at a few Japanese web pages, it appears the manga of this (called "Notari Matsutaro" --aha! so the "Abarenbo" *is* there to draw in aging Matudaira Ken fans) ran from 1973-1998 (!) There are 36 volumes, so yeah, this could run awhile if it can just find an audience. (Maybe dads will commandeer the TV from their kids for half an hour on Sundays?)

Can't be worse than Saint Seiya Omega.

Last edited by vanfanel on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Looks absolutely terrible. I know Toei are cheap, but DAMN, that's some cheap animation.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I really don't care if the animation's cheap. I expected it from Toei (all their good animation goes to Precure, lol), but really I don't mind and I think the backgrounds and artstyle are absolutely great.

I'm gonna like this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I think the designs are fine, considering what they're going for, but the animation doesn't look particularly fluid.
law240

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I agree this show looks neat it's got that old school style it looks like it's going to be funny too I'm excited for this now
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they're aiming for the older demographics, kinda like Space Battleship Yamato.

Just in time too since a new yokozuna was recently promoted, bringing up the current number to 3 yokuzunas, all from Mongolia.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2014/03/26/sumo/kakuryu-promoted-to-yokozuna/

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Definitely curious to check this out. Hope it ends up online somewhere, Crunchroll, Daisuki, wherever.

I like the look of the show, personally, but I'm an old-timer, I guess, in my 30's, and I love older shows anyway regardless of how well animated they are. The song in the trailer sounds good too!

It's not on the top of my most-anticipated shows this season, but I'll give it a try, and I'll be delighted if it grabs me.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Maybe they're aiming for the older demographics, kinda like Space Battleship Yamato.

Except for Space Battleship Yamato 2199, they (AIC, Xebec and a ton of other studios assisting) seriously modernized the production and made all the females extra sexy Laughing Speaking of which, for this title, Reiko Minami seems to be the only character who's attractive and not goofy looking.

As far as Sumo portrayal goes, it's odd to see a muscular character. I know one muscular Russian wrestler who went into Sumo, but he ended up fattening up too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2