• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ai Mai Mi TV Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
i dropped this after 3 episodes. did it ever get any better?
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Thank god I kept checking the official site after the 2nd season was announced on 1 April(Japan time), I was almost convinced it was a April's fools joke.

This is amazing news.
Urizithar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
i dropped this after 3 episodes. did it ever get any better?

Yeah, it got... but in brainwashing.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to assume that this is a really bad April Fool's joke.

I watched two episodes of this on Crunchyroll and was put off with how atrociously terrible it was in terms of animation and "plot". Seriously, it looked like a bad anime project put together by a bunch of lazy high school boys who wanted to see what stuck on the wall.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Its Already the 2nd of April in Japan, you know?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Seriously?

If this isn't a joke, you honestly mean to tell me that there is an actual audience for this crap and it got decent enough ratings for a 2nd season?
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Seriously?

If this isn't a joke, you honestly mean to tell me that there is an actual audience for this crap and it got decent enough ratings for a 2nd season?

Yes, people actually have different taste in comedy than you do.

Ratings don't matter for late-nigth tv anime, by the way.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:

Ratings don't matter for late-nigth tv anime, by the way.

I expect for a short form series like this, even disc sales aren't terribly important. Very likely the primary reason these types of series exist is to boost interest in the manga.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Seriously?

Yeah, I loved this show. I think I even like it more than Teekyu, the other longer-running show which would draw close comparison.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:

If there is a taste to be had, I'm honestly not seeing it here. The whole show just comes off as "Let's try random moment #3465b and hope the audience finds it funny." I'm honestly surprised that people like you can even have a taste in shit like this. You need to re-evaluate your standards. Honestly, if there is an audience who actually prefers stuff like that, then I'd sure like to meet them and give them a swift kick in the ass.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
rederoin wrote:

If there is a taste to be had, I'm honestly not seeing it.

In which case this whole discussion is pointless. If you can't understand that others have a different taste in comedy than you do, then what are we supposed to discuss?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In which case this whole discussion is pointless. If you can't understand that others have a different taste in comedy than you do, then what are we supposed to discuss?

But you see, I've never actually seen an audience that prefers these random "hope-its-funny" kinds of comedies. Comedy is a very strange beast to tame and if you can't make people laugh, you're gonna find yourself at the receiving end of a lot of abrasiveness. I've seen some of these acts first hand in my life and believe me, the audience does not forgive stuff like this. They want their time and money's worth. In which case, your taste in this genre is pointless. Get help.

But again, if the audience for this stuff exists, I'd like to meet them, really and give them a swift kick in the ass.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

But again, if the audience for this stuff exists, I'd like to meet them, really.

I think it migth be good for to acteally this thread, since they are posting in it.

And you really don't seem to understand what kind of comedy this is. Its a gag comedy, not a 'hope-its-good' comedy, Whatever the fudge the later means.
But since this series sold around 750 dvds, and teekyuu keeps getting 2.5k on average p/season, you must be blind to not see the audience for this kind of comedy.
KKK, Teekyuu, Ai Mai mi, Puni Puni Poemi etc.. migth not be popular, but they sure as hell do have an audience.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
rederoin wrote:

If there is a taste to be had, I'm honestly not seeing it here. The whole show just comes off as "Let's try random moment #3465b and hope the audience finds it funny." If there is an audience who actually prefers stuff like that, then I'd sure like to meet them.

Seth MacFarlane shows are kinda like that.

KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
I think it migth be good for to acteally this thread, since they are posting in it.

I meant in person.
rederoin wrote:
And you really don't seem to understand what kind of comedy this is. Its a gag comedy, not a 'hope-its-good' comedy, Whatever the fudge the later means.
But since this series sold around 750 dvds, and teekyuu keeps getting 2.5k on average p/season, you must be blind to not see the audience for this kind of comedy.
KKK, Teekyuu, Ai Mai mi, Puni Puni Poemi etc.. migth not be popular, but they sure as hell do have an audience.

I've seen good gag comedies like Squid Girl, Tonari no Seki-Kun and Kochikame. Guess what? Those comedies are not only funny in their gags but have good writing to back them up, which is what gag comedies should be. For a show like this to have an audience means that the audience themselves have no idea on what good comedy standards are.
enurtsol wrote:
Seth MacFarlane shows are kinda like that.

Well, I guess that takes the words out of my mouth. MacFarlane basks in his use of callous, dick humor and yet, people find his work funny. Wake up, people! MacFarlane's humor is meant to put down others and you're enjoying the kind of humor that just makes all of us lesser human beings!

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2