• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Nitaboh

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
A formulaic film "based off of a true story"? Wouldn't that define anything "based off of a true story"? Snark aside, Nitaboh does sound interesting, if only in concept. I never even knew there was a tradition of blind shamisen players.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Availability (Japan): I can't find a DVD release in Japan... but surely one happened? I know there's a French release...

The French release turns up quickly, but I couldn't find the Japanese release either....
Using different means, here's the case slick, catalog #: WW-D0001 and suruga-ya is the only retailer I've found so far carrying it
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this movie as well. Unfortunately, Nitabō himself very likely either never lived or else had his importance wildly inflated by a researcher named Kazuo Daijō, whom you'll notice is credited with the "original story" of Nitaboh. Essentially, you are free to view the film as complete fiction.

(I actually learned about the existence of blind female shamisen players from Mushishi...)

PS: The DVD is available directly from WAO here.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
@Neko-sensei Thanks for the link. I too had trouble finding a link to the Japanese version.

I did see it was listed on Tsuruya, but doubtful they actually sell it (Tsuruya is a rental outfit in Japan). Any other place I tried, from Mandarake to Amazon to Yahoo actions etc, turned up zilch...

As far as I could gather from the linked Wao site, unfortunately they don't seem to ship outside Japan. But sent a request to a shopping service, let's see if they can conjure it... Smile
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Interesting choice this week. Honestly, this movie has my interest simply from the subject material alone; the fact that it's well done only makes me more interested.

I wonder if Justin might one day check out WaoWorld's 2011 production, Showa Monogatari. Much like Nitaboh it's about a real-life time, in this case 1960's Japan right before the Olympics happened there, & was admittedly made for older audiences instead of the usual younger children or otaku. In fact, before the Spring 2011 TV series there was a movie edit in theaters just before it; I guess that would make the TV series an expansion of the movie, rather than the movie being a compilation of the TV series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
(I actually learned about the existence of blind female shamisen players from Mushishi...)

...and Samurai Champloo!
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Neko-sensei wrote:

...and Samurai Champloo!

Glad I wasn't the only one to think of Champloo upon reading this. Very Happy
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
I have never seen this but shamisens are cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1