• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, April 21-27

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to comment about the game sales, but the console and portable sales, I'm not surprised that handheld is still selling while console continue to slump a bit due to the tax hike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I'm not going to comment about the game sales, but the console and portable sales, I'm not surprised that handheld is still selling while console continue to slump a bit due to the tax hike.

tax or not. Handheld has been doing better than console in Japan for last like 5-6 years now.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Gosh, you have to keep mentioning tax hike, don't you? It's not like the price was tripled or something. If anything, these numbers show us that despite the tax hike, apparently Japanese gamers can still afford it. Rolling Eyes
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

tax or not. Handheld has been doing better than console in Japan for last like 5-6 years now.

L'Imperatore wrote:

Gosh, you have to keep mentioning tax hike, don't you? It's not like the price was tripled or something. If anything, these numbers show us that despite the tax hike, apparently Japanese gamers can still afford it. Rolling Eyes

I'm just giving an observation that's all. I know the price has not double or triple, but the tax hikes did really hurt the PS4 sales. Portables are a bit cheaper so that's why they tend to sell better then home console.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
^^^

Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III and possibly next Dragon Quest game & Persona 5. Those biggies are not there yet. Who knows?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
^^^

Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III and possibly next Dragon Quest game & Persona 5. Those biggies are not there yet. Who knows?

The JRPG game, Natural Doctrine, which got good reviews from Famitsu but yet it bombed in Japan after the tax hikes, how do you explain that? Why did the game bombed in Japan when it got near excellent reviews??
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
Because it looked like cheap crap?

Famitsu reviews don't mean anything and it's not like reviews translate to sales automatically. The game bombed despite being on more established platforms like the PS3 and the handheld Vita.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/09/week-sales-ouch-natural-doctrine/

Despite the tax hike other titles sold far better, so it dosen't make much sense to use a very niche game as a barometer of anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1