• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Gatchaman, Di Gi Charat, Godannar Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E-Master

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Gatchman will be put back in print. That release I am most interested among the annouced titles.
Zilan

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
wish we knew if the kokoro connect has the extra episodes.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Since Godannar is already up on Hulu, its not a surprise.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Since Godannar is already up on Hulu, its not a surprise.

Yeah, Anime Network added the show online again as well. It was only a matter of time before an announcement was made.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
glad they got Godannar back. i love that show
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
GREAT news! I thought Gatchaman would go to Nozomi or Discotek, but it's great to see Sentai pick it back up, as well as putting the OVAs back in print. I was worried that when Sandy Frank's license expired, it would be gone forever. Glad I was wrong.

I wonder if they'll consider getting the sequel series (which have NEVER been released here, although they were butchered by Saban for Australia). Razz

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sat May 25, 2013 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the original Digi Charat got picked up because I didn't really want to buy it second-hand. And hopefully the video quality will be somewhat better than before.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Pretty interesting that Sentai picked "Gatchaman" up again. I think the last time I watched it I didn't like it as much as when I was younger, but I'd still like to see the whole series anyway. I'll probably give the OVA a rewatch over the weekend and see how that holds up; I remember it looking good, so it might benefit from a BD.

But geez, the whole TV series and OVA in one set? I don't want to think of the price...

EDIT: Actually, does anyone think this might be a sign they plan to license "Gatchaman Crowds?" It airs in a little over a month, and if they really release the original in October then "Crowds" will have ended within weeks before it comes out. The timing just seems to work out, IMO.

Last edited by DRWii on Sat May 25, 2013 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Considering that they picked up Gatchaman, they'll probably be licensing Gatchaman Crowds this summer.

I still can't believe that AKB0048 will be on BD. I was certain that they'd only release it on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a Di Gi Charat license. Didn't expect that. Maybe I can replace my awful fansubs of those OVAs.

I wonder if they'll do the second TV series. The long one.
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
But geez, the whole TV series and OVA in one set? I don't want to think of the price...

I don't think it will all be released in one set. For 105 episodes, I would imagine about 8-9 sets. I would also assume the OVAs would be released seperately.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
deathfromabove1993 wrote:
DRWii wrote:

I don't think it will all be released in one set. For 105 episodes, I would imagine about 8-9 sets. I would also assume the OVAs would be released seperately.

Possibly for Bluray, but I imagine the DVDs will be divided up in 24-26 episodes sets, or possibly even 50-52 episode sets like they've done for Getbackers and Orphen. It will be interesting to see how they handle the bluray release though.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
deathfromabove1993 wrote:

To quote the article:
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks will release the entire original Gatchaman television anime series bundled with the three-episode 1994-95 OVA series on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in October. The company will then release the OVA series separately on DVD only.

Besides, they already tried releasing it in 8-9 sets when they were ADV. If they do decide to release in multiple sets, I imagine it would be four at most.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:

That was my first thought as well. Lucky, I actually own the original ADV Boxsets release of this (I wonder if this new set will have the extras that showed up in the boxsets? If so the price might even be higher than first expected :|shutter|: ). I promised myself as a kid that if Battle of the Planets ever came out in original format I'd pick it up and I kept that promise Very Happy So I won't need to re-buy it unless the BD is extremely worth it (I've never seen the second later series, so waiting for it on DVD is OK). Still, this could really make Mike Toole's day when he hears about it. I believe he missed picking it up and now he can Cool .

Quote:
EDIT: Actually, does anyone think this might be a sign they plan to license "Gatchaman Crowds?" It airs in a little over a month, and if they really release the original in October then "Crowds" will have ended within weeks before it comes out. The timing just seems to work out, IMO.

I think you may be on to something. Re-picking up at this time would make more sense IMO if that is what is going on. For me the real surprise with re-picking up Gatchaman was timing, not that they wouldn't ever do it if it came up again to pick up. That was a ADV "love letter" type project. Now if they could just get Aura Battler Dunbine back I'd be very interested (I didn't know what the show was back when they were putting it out so this one I didn't pick up (I had rare disks of that and Princess Tutu sitting at my Hastings but never realized what they were until it was too late Confused )).
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote

Been asking for a Gatchaman rescue for years. From FUNi (Casshern Sins), to Discotek (Robot Hunter Casshern, Tekkaman Blade II, New Hurricane Polymar, Samurai Pizza Cats & Yatterman live-action) and got a bit worried that Tatsunoko would block it like they did with the original Casshern when Discotek asked for it so I'm glad that didn't happen here. I didn't expect Sentai to get it though which might be even better because there's a good chance that they'll re-release the show with some, if not all of the extras from ADV's Collector's Edition sets so I'm glad either way. Very Happy

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I wonder if they'll consider getting the sequel series (which have NEVER been released here, although they were butchered by Saban for Australia). Razz

If Sentai's interested then it might be wise to wait until after Japan release those seasons on Blu-ray since they have yet to do that. If not then there's always Discotek which would increase the chances of the Eagle Riders dub getting a separate release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4