• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Library Wars Film Gets Sequel Next October

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
And we'll probably never get a DVD/blu-ray release in the US. I mean there's a lot of Japanese films that haven't seen a US release at all. I know that the first LA Library War hasn't gotten a US DVD/blu-ray release. Not even Dramafever has any Japanese films (beside J-dramas).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...

I think that I'll likely skip that one. I saw the first one at the New People theatre quite some time ago, and was rather disappointed in it (and so was a friend who now won't go near any of the Library Wars properties). I think that the actors might have looked close enough to other representations of the characters, but the plot didn't work as well. Most of the details have faded from memory, so I'm not really remembering what elements were the disappointing ones.

I was more accepting of the first Thermae Romae film, and that probably stuck to the original story even less than Library Wars. Maybe the filming locations were more interesting? Maybe it was the Italians dubbed over in Japanese. Maybe it was the opera singer or the toilet? ;p
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first movie. I saw it on the flight back home from Europe (family fun trip) in May. The small screen and less than good quality weren't ideal, but I enjoyed being able to watch it. I was pleasantly surprised to see it as an option on the Delta flight.

I haven't seen many live action movie adaptations of manga/anime, but I think both the Rurouni Kenshin movies and the Library Wars movie are good adaptations.

I'd be willing to see the 2nd movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
This franchise is still going? Huh.

Wings of Revolution was significantly better than the anime series, but I'm not really interested in watching a live-action version.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Wings of Revolution was significantly better than the anime series, but I'm not really interested in watching a live-action version.

I enjoyed the TV series sufficiently to blind-buy the anime film's Blu-ray when it was released. I'm very happy that I did so, and I've enjoyed it the three or four times that I've watched it so far... I would have imported the TV series Blu-ray set, if it had included English subtitles. I vaguely recall watching the series via fansub as it was airing, but I haven't gone back to it. Did I keep the files around somewhere? Hmm... I've been buying Viz's translation of one of the manga series; it's been okay. I'd love to see the novels get an official English translation.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic news! I loved the first movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1