• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote

The Kawai
Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Themes: school
Plot: Usa, a high-school student aspiring to begin a bachelor lifestyle, moves into a new apartment only to discover that he not only shares a room with a perverted roommate that has an obsession for underaged girls, but also that another girl, Ritsu, a love-at-first-sight, is living in the same building as well!

Episode 1:
I loved it :p

OP song is decent and the premise is already established fairly early. Usa though..oh God, I feel a little sorry for him for having an odd roommate. Still, I think he did strike gold in a way seeing she is interested in Riki.

The comedy is decent so far too imo. spoiler[Police already on the streets Anime hyper. Oh and I like how he can't get out of this with that phone call lol. I'm expecting a lot out of this show now. The grandma is awesome. Usa blushes more than I had thought Wink]

Usa is pretty fun to watch around his new rooomate and along with that woman with the glasses. :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
The animation sure is nice ^^ up to a certain point when it's just flashy.
Characters appearances are pretty good.
Story is a bit weird-ish though.
It's also kinda fun in a weird way.
This has potential, but I'm not really sure what to do.
I might watch a few more episodes before my final decision.
If nothing better comes along I'll probably pick it up.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Opps I didn't know there was an english name for this. I am just to copy and paste my post from the thread- This seems like it will be a decent slice of life. It has Kana Hanazawa, so I automatically gave this a chance.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

That was good, very funny yet some emotions in there. I think it seems to very strongly following the Straight man jokes, kind of similar to what D-Frag was doing, only this is much more on the romantic comedy thing.

The granny is also awesome, she can spoiler[muck around, go sadist mode, keep them in line, and still be caring]. Apparently a spoiler[Taser is +260 attack].

"I heard spoiler[your roommate is a unique, interesting person]" that is not always a good selling point.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 1
======

The animation reminds me of a low-budget Makoto Shinkai film.

The opening kind of set a different tone for then what the show actually is, which is odd. In the end though, I'm expecting it to be about the main guy and book girl, both of which I'm interested in. The music is nice and why O why can't sunsets in real life every look as constantly beautiful as they do in anime?

Looking forward to episode 2. There's nothing outstandingly bad about this so far.

Finally, I'm glad we get to see what Kisuke Urahara's human life was like before entering Soul Society.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:12 am Reply with quote
Cute slice of life, this is the kind of show I usually go for. The main character plays the straight man while the rest of the characters around him are whacked out, including his love interest. Similar set up as Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko from a couple years ago, which I liked.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Out of the other shows I've watched this season, this has been my favorite first episode. I enjoyed the comedy and I really like the characters.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, the humor really didn't click with me. I am a sucker for romance/slice of life stories though (and elderly people with a nasty streak) so I'll try a few more episodes.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
That unfortunate boner. Looks like the new girl is a yandere.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
That was glorious. Best comedy of the season imo. I think it might take some time for me and Usa to get used to that spoiler[Sayaka girl]. And a weakness for Ritsu is found this episode!

spoiler[Horror movies]!

Also, that scene of the spoiler[Birth of Venus] caught me off guard. LOL.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

The scene with the spoiler[Birth of Venus] was indeed very funny, and great seeing them both react like that. If a series can make me laugh like that along with the characters it is doing something right. Nice little step forwards (some steps back too), I think that it has set itself up very well. Some great use of characters.

Well my opinion on the new girl is that she is super fake and can be pretty passive aggressive, I did not consider a yandere characteristic though.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Ep 2

I'm really liking the comedy for this and the character interactions are always a treat. I don't think I'm going to be a big fan of the new character. The next episode seems like it will focus on her.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh God Sayaka...this is glorious LOL. Her trolling is going to make me laugh every week if this keeps it up, in a positive way of course.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

For a slice of life comedy this is going strong without being fanservice in the least. And I think learning about Kawai is pretty interesting, Sayaka was probably right about one thing and it is that she is pretty shy. It looks like it will not be a question of whether she like him or not, but rather that she is her own person who tends to like to do her own thing. She probably does not feel particularly lonely but she could probably do with a friend, and it is not like her lack of social skills make her a bad person, for some reason something feels refreshing. I had a feeling she had spoiler[read of a character similar to Mayumi.]

Kind of good on Mayumi for spoiler[not standing for the guy's BS], he was pretty condescending. Also Sayaka is pretty mean, it is good that she is balanced out with the cast, and I hope that we will see some other part so she is not so one note.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
It was nice to see that Mayumi isn't spoiler[a total doormat when it comes to guys and kick her ex to the curb]. I was afraid we might get a more standard anime resolution to the situation, with the spoiler[main MC coming to her "rescue" and thereby proving himself a "nice guy"]. This way it makes her her own person.

I kind of like all the characters except the masochist perv. He just makes me roll my eyes.

I'm a little on the fence with the show, but I'll give it another episode or two to see if it really grabs me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4