• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Apple Agrees to Conditional US$450 Million Anti-Trust Settlement

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
People love Apple for drive up the price. People hate amazon for not wanting to sell books when the price is too high.
Suena

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
Being someone who doesn't buy ebooks, this is something completely off my radar.

If I understand correctly, what was happening was that a bunch of booksellers wanted to be able to sell ebooks at a high price, but they needed a marketplace that was willing to do that, and Apple was willing to do that, and Amazon wasn't? Is that the gist of it?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
So the response to
Quote:
Amazon is lowering its prices "only as long as it takes Amazon to re-establish its monopoly."
was to collude to increase prices? I get why they'd want to, but I'm glad anti-consumer collusion got caught.

And I'm not sure regardless of a massive majority in market share if you can call something that is being forced to lower prices due to competition a "monopoly." One of the distinct features of a monopoly is that because they can take the market demand curve as their own demand curve, and then can use the market demand curve to calculate average and marginal costs to find the optimal price. If they are being forced due to competition to sell under that, it doesn't behave like a monopoly.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
But one way to establish a monopoly is to price so low that your competitors can't compete, leaving only you. This is especially doable if your company competes in many fields and you can offset the money lost or not gained in one division by another... which Amazon totally can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1