Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Terror in Resonance


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lain'sHairline



Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 158
Location: Dallas, TX
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Even with its pitfalls I still find myself genuinely wanting to see what happens next.

And to see Five twerk on screen eventually.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7837
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/news

animenewsnetwork.com/interest

We're working on other filtering solutions, please be patient.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 3513
Location: earth
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
" However, this is a unique, exciting show that will appeal to people who care about our societal trajectory or values animation as an artform"

I guess this is not for me because i watch anime for entertainment.
Not sure why do they want to address society issues using animation since anime is niche even in Japan. Shouldn't live action be a better media for this kind of thing?
I have nothing to add since i haven't even watch one ep yet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gedata



Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 494
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
" However, this is a unique, exciting show that will appeal to people who care about our societal trajectory or values animation as an artform"

I guess this is not for me because i watch anime for entertainment. I have nothing to add since i haven't even watch one ep yet.

Doesn't "unique" or "exciting" catch your attention?

Just because a show offers a little food for thought doesn't mean you can't have fun with it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gasero



Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 855
Location: MI, USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
" However, this is a unique, exciting show that will appeal to people who care about our societal trajectory or values animation as an artform"

I guess this is not for me because i watch anime for entertainment.
Not sure why do they want to address society issues using animation since anime is niche even in Japan. Shouldn't live action be a better media for this kind of thing?
I have nothing to add since i haven't even watch one ep yet.
Not sure what your point is. Whether something is live action, animated, or text, shouldn't matter as long as it effectively delivers the message it is trying to. In Japan, anime happens to be very popular so some writers may choose that as a medium to deliver a message.
I just hope that Terror in Resonance happens to deliver by its conclusion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 3513
Location: earth
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
" However, this is a unique, exciting show that will appeal to people who care about our societal trajectory or values animation as an artform"

I guess this is not for me because i watch anime for entertainment.
Not sure why do they want to address society issues using animation since anime is niche even in Japan. Shouldn't live action be a better media for this kind of thing?
I have nothing to add since i haven't even watch one ep yet.
Not sure what your point is. Whether something is live action, animated, or text, shouldn't matter as long as it effectively delivers the message it is trying to. In Japan, anime happens to be very popular so some writers may choose that as a medium to deliver a message.
I just hope that Terror in Resonance happens to deliver by its conclusion.


how can you delivery the message when anime is niche. People in Japan look down of those people who watch alot of anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beized



Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 129
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Have you considered that maybe some people aren't so narcissistic that the only way they can validate themselves is by getting as many people to look at them as possible? Maybe they just want to try and say something profound, using the medium of their choice, because they find it personally fulfilling? Or is their no point in being intelligent unless the majority of society knows about it? Maybe it's not worth enough to rising above the mediocrity of you're contemporaries just for the few who will see. I guess Watanabe should just make fan service garbage and shallow moe bullshit until everyone in the world watches anime.

Spotlesseden wrote:
I guess this is not for me because i watch anime for entertainment.
Not sure why do they want to address society issues using animation since anime is niche even in Japan. Shouldn't live action be a better media for this kind of thing?
I have nothing to add since i haven't even watch one ep yet.


So, to stop being facetious for a moment, you are arguing that things should be stupider for, as far as I can tell, no reason. Why?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 3513
Location: earth
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
my question was "Shouldn't live action be a better media for this kind of thing?"

I'm not saying that they can't do it using anime it for fun or personally fulfilling.. .. If you think anime is a better media for it, so be it. All i'm saying live action is better because people will understand the message better than otaku and it can reach more people. If his goal is to make otaku understand his message, then that's another story.


Alot of fan service actually don't do very well. Very very few of them do well. Unless you count Attack On Titan, SAO, Love Live! as fan service shows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DangerMouse



Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 3699
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Whether something is live action, animated, or text, shouldn't matter as long as it effectively delivers the message it is trying to. In Japan, anime happens to be very popular so some writers may choose that as a medium to deliver a message.
I just hope that Terror in Resonance happens to deliver by its conclusion.


This. Well said.

This show's been really good so far and I pretty much always find myself really looking forward to finding out what happens next.

I agree, I hope they fully deliver with the rest of the story, it's been great so far.

As mentioned in the review, I love how differently both Space Dandy and this have really shown strengths of anime/animation of both opposite types. I love the look of this show and the "film-style" touches mentioned that they've put into the generally gorgeous visuals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sunflower



Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Posts: 1079
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
I've only watched up through 6, but I think the comparisons with Death Note are more than superficial. They're using the same basic plot structure, teens killing people (even though these guys didn't want to they did) to prevent social injustice and losing control of the situation, especially when their Near and Mello stand ins are brought in to override the police and outsmart them. Of course there are differences- they haven't descended into madness and evil like Light did- but the similarities are becoming quite strong.

But even if they are, it's one of my favorite shows of the season. The way it builds tension is remarkable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stark700



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 11500
Location: Earth
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
This clearly one of my favorite series this season. I just find the overall concept and premise to be appealing along with the direction. Some parts like the spoiler[chess game] seemed lacking along with characterization though. Imo, this would of worked out a lot better if it was a 2 cour show (22 episodes). I just hope they don't rush too much from everything so far.

Also, not a big fan of Lisa so far. I know she got caught up in all this but her roles so far hasn't impressed me much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero



Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 855
Location: MI, USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
All i'm saying live action is better because people will understand the message better than otaku and it can reach more people. If his goal is to make otaku understand his message, then that's another story.

You keep assuming that moral messages will not be effective if delivered by animation. The animation industry in Japan is probably the largest in the world. I can't think of another country or region that delivers such a constant stream of animated shows. Watching an anime in Japan is not too different from watching a show on network TV in the USA.

You said yourself that you haven't watched a single episode of Terror in Resonance so your opinion is baseless. There have been multiple themes in the show from abandonment issues to corruption in government and I would like to see how those themes affect the plot. It's not slapstick comedy we're seeing here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
leatherhead333



Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 1187
Location: Kansas
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
For me this is turning into one of the most disappointing shows of the season. The main issue i have with it is that pretty much as soon as 5 shows up the logical leaps just get WAY to big. In the beginning they put a profound amount of detail in the investigations of the bombings making the show so much more surreal giving a sort of CSI feel to it. I still had to accept a few faulty issues (like how these guys are able to bomb places without anyone dying) but everything was well thought out and researched.

But ever since 5 who is basically a boring shounen villain with a outlandish personality everything has been falling apart. Especially at the airport bombing. So many things just don't make any sense anymore and I doubt there will be a valid explanation for it. Lisa also brings the show down with her outright uselessness in the plot overall. Nothing in the show changes if she's taken out at this point. She has hardly any presence, never morally questions what 9 and 12 are doing while being made into a weird moe blob who faints, can't cook and is overall clumsy. I had a lot of hopes for her character development going in but with the series half over giving me hardly any reason to care about her I'm chalking it up for a waste of potential.

I still think the show is interesting but it's a shame it had to jump off the deep end so early on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gasero



Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 855
Location: MI, USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
I agree with everything Leatherhead333 said. I liked Terror in Resonance up until episode 5 even though I had some reservations about the motives and especially Lisa.

After episode 6 I was turned off by the direction of the plot and decided to wait until the series was complete before watching any more episodes.

People compare Terror in Resonance to Death Note, but the thing about Death Note is that there was a supernatural component to justify the logi leaps and the main character slowly became unsympathetic. In Terror in Resonance the writers are trying to make me believe that 9 and 12 are sympathetic characters who know everything, will bomb public areas without killing people, and are actually nice guys just trying to deliver a positive message. Then "5" is introduced and the show goes off the rails. I am still hoping that the conclusion is well done, but for now I am hesitant to continue watching.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
mnordhoff



Joined: 04 Sep 2012
Posts: 12
Location: US
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
I've been irritated by Lisa's lack of development (and the lack of feminism in her "badass boys/ditzy housewife" role), but I'm willing myself to be cautiously optimistic that the writers know what they're doing.

The usual plot would have the new tagalong kicking ass and taking names along with her cool outlaw buddies within a couple episodes, but Lisa's just pathetic. She was floundering through her miserable home and school life, and now she's out of her depth with her new evil-genius partners and struggling to make herself useful and find a role. I'm hoping that the writers are doing this on purpose and there is some sort of point to it.

On the other hand, Nine and Twelve are bad guys (more or less). It's sad to watch someone who tried to be a normal girl crawl down the path to going Columbine on her school and getting executed or something. Succeeding at becoming a villain would only cause her chance at a normal life to continue shrinking away.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group