Forum - View topic
Naruto Manga Has 200 Million in Print Worldwide




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stark700



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 11652
Location: Earth
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
200 million? Wow.

And still, I can't believe the manga is over now although there's that mini series to debut soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 6176
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
Kishimoto should be living in a house full of silver(Oda lives in gold).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 13056
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
I wonder how many of those printed copies have are in English.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrownKlown



Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 1736
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I wonder how many of those printed copies have are in English.


I would imagine quite a few. Naruto is consistently on the best seller list for comics.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Somewhere



Joined: 27 Sep 2013
Posts: 361
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Best selling comics in the US don't have as large numbers as the title would seem to imply.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50992
The excel sheets work back to 2008. So, starting from there...
2008 - Naruto peaks with vol 28's 103,848, leaving the runner up (vol 29) in the dust at 76,442 (mentioning this because of the large gap)
2009 - peaks at vol 43 with 61,144 copies
2010 - vol 47 with 53,155 copies
2011 - vol 50 with 31,526 copies
2012 - vol 55 with 17,243 copies
2013 - vol 60 with 28,631 copies

As opposed to Japan where a Naruto volume usually hits the 1 to 1.2 million total area by the end of the business year, in those same years.

Though to be fair, using the US alone is not an accurate indicator of the western market as a whole, since Europe's traditionally a stronger manga market, particularly France. But I don't have any numbers for the European markets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigivel



Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 536
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Best selling comics in the US don't have as large numbers as the title would seem to imply.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50992
The excel sheets work back to 2008. So, starting from there...
2008 - Naruto peaks with vol 28's 103,848, leaving the runner up (vol 29) in the dust at 76,442 (mentioning this because of the large gap)
2009 - peaks at vol 43 with 61,144 copies
2010 - vol 47 with 53,155 copies
2011 - vol 50 with 31,526 copies
2012 - vol 55 with 17,243 copies
2013 - vol 60 with 28,631 copies

As opposed to Japan where a Naruto volume usually hits the 1 to 1.2 million total area by the end of the business year, in those same years.

Though to be fair, using the US alone is not an accurate indicator of the western market as a whole, since Europe's traditionally a stronger manga market, particularly France. But I don't have any numbers for the European markets.


Here the France's numbers:
Sales from 2005 to 2010
Sales of 2011
Page where in the end the Sales of 2012 are reported

Translations:
Titre -> Title
Sortie -> Release date
ventes -> Sales
Tirage -> copies printed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaxSouth



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 1305
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Naturo is officially #1 international manga of all time, surpassing Dragon Ball (One Piece is far behind; though, obviously, dramatically bigger than anything else domestically). Over 70 million prints were sold abroad.

Naturo anime is also the biggest international project of the new century, as of now. Metrics are about 2.5 times higher than for One Piece -- though it is no wonder since Naruto is much more Japanese project than Westernised One Piece, hence the interest from international audiences is different.

(This statistics, however, has nothing with pointless arguments about which manga is "better"; just interesting socio-cultural data.)

Stark700 wrote:
200 million? Wow.

And still, I can't believe the manga is over now although there's that mini series to debut soon.


Those mini-series is going to be separate work, nothing to do with Kishimoto or original manga besides franchise licensing. And whatever (minor) sales this thing is going to generate, it will not be lumped together with original manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group