• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hanamonogatari (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote

Hanamonogatari (TV)

Genres: action

Number of episodes: 5

Plot Summary:
[quote]Hanamonogatari features Suruga Kanbaru and is set after Koyomi Araragi graduates from high school. -MAL
----------------------------------

It's airing soon but is anyone else excited about this? I am. It's been over a year with the debut of Monogatari Second Series last Summer and no one knows exactly when Kizumonogatari will debut. With only 5 episodes though, I hope they can cover what's needed. Somehow, I think they might make a major announcement related to the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I to am looking forward to it. Currently rewatching Bakemonogatari in a drunken stupor actually. I cannot believe how quick all of this is being animated even though it is a cash cow for Shaft and despite the movie delays. I also cannot think of any other series, other than long running shows, which have such regular release dates. As much as I love the series, I would prefer they take their time with it. (At least wait until each stage gets a release so I can buy it and get into it all over again).
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:26 am Reply with quote
Anyways, I thought it was pretty good overall as we see and learn a lot about spoiler[Kanbaru. We get some harsh words to Kanbaru in the beginning from her mother.. Poor girl. The theme song is great too. This was a really nice insight with Kanbaru imo. I like how Kanbaru quotes on her arm about being human again. That's classic.]

Ha, spoiler[I find that running scene to be amusing in the second episode. So, Araragi apparently talked to Kaiki about Kanbaru before which is something I found interesting. I also notice how Kanbaru is using her other arm which is sort of explained in this series. Kaiki has some interesting advice as well. Great to see him around in this episode. He's one of my favorites from the franchise. The basketball match was great. I didn't think Shaft can make basketball look so creative.]

I like the way they also talked about spoiler[Numachi Rouka and her past as well. Although unfortunate with the incident and what happened three years ago, I find the exposition to be interesting overall. Same thing for the Devil's Skull and that basketball game. The way that slam dunk was initiated was just classic.]

The one and only spoiler[Araragi with badass hair returns as well. In the end, I thought it was a very well illustrated show of expositions, action, and dialogues. I look forward to seeing Kanbaru play basketball again]. Rating as very good. I'm thinking Excellent though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

The obvious answer seems to be that Suruga's spoiler[ex-nemesis is a little more than she let on]. Can't be sure but it seems very likely that spoiler[her left leg was a devil's just like Suruga's arm, most peculiar that it was having her solve the wishes of others]. But what seems to be the end is that the spoiler[arm has been taken, I wonder if there it will be something like a devil trying to pull its pieces together].

Also her mother sounded like a very odd person. And spoiler[Ougi is messing around with reality, making it look she/it had been a guy.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Marathon time!

Episode 2

So spoiler[Kaiki finally] got to meet Suruga, spoiler[he has become a rather] interesting character. At least spoiler[he is alive], that is good news. Also totally obvious over what spoiler[happened to the arm].

Episode 3

Hmm, she is rather interesting too, sometimes these Philosophical talks can get rather good. Can I admit that I found the spoiler[almost kiss part] hot? I did get the feeling that spoiler[Suruga was a little influenced by her teenage hormones into not running away].

Episode 4

Woah, big twists! After spoiler[all the discussions about Rouka's life, we find out that she had already taken it, she committed suicide before going on her misfortune hunt]. This was great, I did not see it coming but it sounds like a great Monogatari thing that I should have, and totally explains spoiler[parts I thought were a bit sketchy like how mobile she was while collecting, and too about not able to have a normal life]. And a slightly spoiler[older Koyomi, bringing in the message that after all his helping others it is only doing what they want to do].

Episode 5 (final)

It is really rather sad, spoiler[Rouka did not realise that she was dead, and the effect it had on Suruga] was telling. The spoiler[basketball game] was indeed thrilling. As usual a number of things are open to interpretation, like what were the feelings between the two of them. spoiler[They said that they hated each other, that they were jealous of each other], but perhaps yuri goggles saying it but there also seemed spoiler[very much like there was an interest]. Finally spoiler[Koyomi] was quite humorous.

Summarisation:
Perhaps because I mostly watched this in one sitting (minus small breaks in between), I actually found the pacing and story rather good despite how slow. It had the usual Shaft art style and Monogatari stuff, I was starting to feel that it was getting a bit stale, and was not too huge a fan on some of the shifting style of Second Season where I just waited for Koyomi to come back. Maybe because I am a huge Miyuki Sawashiro fan, but I thought that Suruga was a great protagonist for this, and yeah I am quite fond of Suruga too, how she sticks out in relation to the Koyomi is something I am fond of.

There was some nice twists, interesting art, a story that kept me interested despite the usual slow pace, and I think it came together nicely. Special note to the ED, which I guess was really more of a OP format, just switched around managed to deliver some nice images that would have not made sense if it was at the beginning. I rate it Very Good, something that should not be missed if you watch the series, yet those not a fan of the style may be turned away.

I think that I might have to marathon the first season BD boxset that I bought recently.
TheLonelyWheel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I am new to the Monogatari series, and all the sources I've looked at are not helping. What Monogatari do I start with?
NottJim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
#821954 wrote:
I am new to the Monogatari series, and all the sources I've looked at are not helping. What Monogatari do I start with?

This is the broadcast order, which is probably the best way to view it

Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Nekomonogatari (Kuro/Black)
Monogatari Second Season
Hanamonogatari

Back to the subject in hand, I really enjoyed Hanamonogatari.

spoiler[I was unclear about whether it time skipped, I thought it would pick up with the second season "Gaen askes Araragi for a favour", but either way it was really nice to get back to Kanbaru. And for a Kanbaru episode I though it was pretty low key on the fan service (which I don't mind, nice to see her get some character development). Araragi turning up was great, but he needs a better car / hair cut (I think he's been watching to much SAO II). Kaiki turning up alive felt like a plot spoiler, but I guess we now have to learn what happened to him.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
It's airing soon but is anyone else excited about this?

I am looking forward to the season but not really looking forward to the inevitable forum postings about what a pedophile Araragi is. I hope that is avoided.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
It's airing soon but is anyone else excited about this?

I am looking forward to the season but not really looking forward to the inevitable forum postings about what a pedophile Araragi is. I hope that is avoided.

That's not even relevant or part of Hanamonogatari at all. And no, it doesn't really exist in this series.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
And no, it doesn't really exist in this series.

Yes that was my point.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I just got around to watching this -- CR is showing all 5 episodes in one video. That makes it kind of a long sitting if you are used to 24-minute episodes but it isn't much different than marathoning them.

The story is a very nice development of the Suruga character. If you thought that her story or her character was neglected in the prior seasons then you will be very pleased by what these five episodes offer.

There are a lot of things this franchise does that other anime don't do but it wasn't until Hanamonogatari that I realized what it is they do that matters. That is they are willing to take philosophical questions big and small and run with them. In this case major instance of this is set up for you in the very first lines: "If you can't be a cure then be a poison. Otherwise you are just water."

There were times I thought the conversations dragged out overlong and often it seems the big payoff from those interactions never happens. I enjoy them anyway but I think a lot of viewers might be put off by it.

Araragi in a VW beetle? spoiler[ Don't comment on the rounds of my car!] LOL.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1