• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Sailor Moon

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manwards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd have said this was all fairly well known stuff myself, but maybe I just know too much about Sailor Moon.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
This was really interesting to read. Was really surprised about #1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
This was really interesting to read. Was really surprised about #1.

I wasn't; I learned out how weird Ikuhara was from penguindrum. Also, all ideas that might have happened in a non canon movie have about as much importance to a franchise as the things that really do happen in non canon movies which is to say "none at all".

I was surprised about the series about alien girls turning into cockroaches getting editorial approval. Guys, sure, and maybe even cute insects {Butterflies? Praying mantises!} but literally going for the bottom of the garbage barrel...

I'm sure it had more of a point than... no, I can't even say that.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I would have also mentioned on the list something regarding the animation itself...such as...did you know that the Inner Senshi's transformation sequences each consist of 160 frames, with cels being primarily numbered from A1 to A160? There are a lot of little known gems regarding Sailor Moon, or any series where artwork is widely available, that are not well known.

Or, if you didn't want to take that approach, why not mention the version that was being made exclusively for the US audience...the pseudo live action version where Mercury is in a wheelchair, Jupiter is black and "Say-lor Moon" has a fluffy white cat? The original script for the pilot episode exists and was sold on E-bay in 2013. There is some artwork out there from it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Color me shocked that Black Dream Hole was once intended to be centered around Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune. Surprised
I would've enjoyed their own storyline had it been followed through.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
That survey about "Favourite Studio" is too ambiguous. It depends on what production, at what date released, and subject matter. One series, or movie made by any of those studios could be award winning one year, and another complete dross the next. So if it were available I would have voted None Of The Above.
kuron3kosama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Nice list. Being a long-time Sailor Moon fan I knew most of these, but there's a lot of people who never got into Sailor Moon who probably don't. Smile

Regarding the new poll, MAPPA and Trigger seem to have been omitted from the choices.

Last edited by kuron3kosama on Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
unitmikey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, if a Uranus and Neptune script could somehow be salvaged and produced... I would much rather see that than more of Crystal at the moment.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
That survey about "Favourite Studio" is too ambiguous. It depends on what production, at what date released, and subject matter. One series, or movie made by any of those studios could be award winning one year, and another complete dross the next. So if it were available I would have voted None Of The Above.

Like comparing 80s DEEN to the studio today.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Heh, Naoko Takeuchi may be a one-hit wonder artist, but it's a big enough of a hit that it feels like she helps put food on the table when her husband is taking year-long breaks from work.

kuron3kosama wrote:
Regarding the new poll, MAPPA and Trigger seem to have been omitted from the choices.

Yeah, I wanted to vote for Studio Trigger. There's been nothing they've produced I haven't liked.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I'd totally vote for BONES if they were an option, but no dice. Sad
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Color me shocked that Black Dream Hole was once intended to be centered around Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune. Surprised
I would've enjoyed their own storyline had it been followed through.

We did get the half-hour "spinoff" episode in the SuperS Special, to cover up the fact that they didn't show up in the series...
And yes, even there, they're still pretentious, self-centered snots who can't keep their hands off each other. Sort of emphasizes why they worked so well as the contrast foils to the "good" Inner scouts on the show, but take away the likable characters and you can see why you wouldn't have trusted Saturn to these two posing pains.

The article said it best: Ikuhara is weird. Shocked
scarletrhodelia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Favorite studio - This is not something I know off the top of my head, so I looked up several of my favorite shows, but many of the studios weren't listed: Gonzo, BONES, Studio DEEN, Sunrise, Artland. Is this a survey only of current studios? Maybe the poll should have said so.

In the end, it was a toss-up between Production I.G. for the beautiful work on Kuroko no Basket, Madhouse for Hunter x Hunter (2011), and Studio Wit for Attack on Titan. I might have voted Kyoto Animation for Free! as it's easily my favorite eye candy, and sumptuously animated, but their other shows, not so much my thing.

EricJ2 wrote:
The article said it best: Ikuhara is weird. Shocked

Wink

Last edited by scarletrhodelia on Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I would have also mentioned on the list something regarding the animation itself...such as...did you know that the Inner Senshi's transformation sequences each consist of 160 frames, with cels being primarily numbered from A1 to A160? There are a lot of little known gems regarding Sailor Moon, or any series where artwork is widely available, that are not well known.

Or, if you didn't want to take that approach, why not mention the version that was being made exclusively for the US audience...the pseudo live action version where Mercury is in a wheelchair, Jupiter is black and "Say-lor Moon" has a fluffy white cat? The original script for the pilot episode exists and was sold on E-bay in 2013. There is some artwork out there from it.

Interesting! I knew about the live action SM project from the U.S, but not the transformations.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The List - 7 Things You Probably Didn't Care About Sailor Moon
Fixed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5