• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kenichi's Matsuena Finishes Waza no Tabibito Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The story centers around…

Undergarments, by the looks of it.
The film's association with Shinkai immediately earned this article my attention, though such attention was retained for reasons quite aside my preconceptions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
lol @ 2nd video. Needs less gravity and more DOA style bounce
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdqWRutCBgY&feature=player_embedded#t=122s

This part made me super depressed. Where it says "Kawakami Tomoko". I guess this was her last project?
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm starting to get tired of typical character design tropes. When I saw the opening shot with beautiful background, I was intrigued. However, when I saw the characters, it turned me off.

I do admire the indie artist's effort, but his vision seems limited.
toyNN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
LOL - guess we're all thinking the same way... 3 years of work for panty and gravity defying boobs. I think these sort of one-off projects should be the ones exploring something a bit deeper. We can get all our fan-serivce anime in bucket loads each season.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Man, I'm starting to get tired of typical character design tropes. When I saw the opening shot with beautiful background, I was intrigued. However, when I saw the characters, it turned me off.

I do admire the indie artist's effort, but his vision seems limited.

Exactly what I thought. --and I could really do without the toddler panty shots.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Even in 3D, we cannot escape underwear. How's that extra 3D education helping ya? Laughing
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh, how unfortunate. It looks like a video game cutscene from several years passed and the lead's breasts seem to be perpetually, well, oscillating. The story sounds like an unremarkable, but serviceable enough one that could be near good with some care. These videos, however, give no reason to think that such care was taken. I wonder why Shun Matsuena went to the trouble.

Tenmon's, thus, by proxy, Makoto Shinkai's, association with this project feels like a red herring, because panty flashes and a tectonic event on every woman's chest hardly evokes Voices of a Distant and although I haven't seen The Place Promised in Our Early Days, I doubt that it has those either. It reminds me how American distributors used to slather, "From the second key grip of Revolutionary Girl Utena," on unremarkable or bad titles as a desperate, nonsensical ploy for attention.

I almost feel bad about being so abusive toward something that we know so little about and that somebody spent three years to make, but, well... seriously? Applying that sort of personal dedication and creative freedom to something that looks like it could easily have had, "come on, y'all; commence the jigglin'," as a plot synopsis? Why? Why?

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
1) huge boobs
2) shaking, bouncing, oscillating,
3) underpants showcase,
4) old 3D game graphic rendition

did i miss something? maybe the breasts, no?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1