• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Retro Gaming Machine Gets More Compatible with Controller Adapter Set

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it just looks like another Retron 5-style "bunch of emulators in a plastic box" piece of garbage. It can't even output 240p, unless I'm mistaken and you can use more than just an HDMI. If you're wanting to play your old games but don't want to use your old system you're better off just emulating them on a Wii (which can output 240p), on a PC (where you'll pretty much get the same exact experience as with this but with even more options like visual filters), buying them on Virtual Console/PSN/whatever or just digging out/buying the console you already own the cartridge for anyways.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
As impressive as this Swiss-army-knife console looks, I don't think many people will want to buy unless it's capable of running games at a decent graphics quality with little to no lag.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
Did this one get permissions to use the emulators its using or did it write its own? Heh.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
One has to wonder, though, if they got permission to use the proprietary softwares (OS, protocols).
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
The glaring flaw of this is on the PCE side, the vast majority of good PCE games were only released on CD, it feel extremely bare without CD capability.
partially

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
Honestly, it just looks like another Retron 5-style "bunch of emulators in a plastic box" piece of garbage. It can't even output 240p, unless I'm mistaken and you can use more than just an HDMI. If you're wanting to play your old games but don't want to use your old system you're better off just emulating them on a Wii (which can output 240p), on a PC (where you'll pretty much get the same exact experience as with this but with even more options like visual filters), buying them on Virtual Console/PSN/whatever or just digging out/buying the console you already own the cartridge for anyways.

From the site seems it is HDMI only, internally upscaling to 720p.

I like the idea of this sort of machine. This isn't it though. Design is terrible, and looks very cheaply made. Why they don't at least allow component as well...

Funnily enough from what I can tell the giant plastic box isn't even the 'console' itself. That is simply a gigantic cartridge adapter with nothing else in it. The actual brains of this thing is the low-profile rectangular little box in front on the article picture. So it is going to look messy setting it up. And if they were going to separate the brains anyway, why didn't they make smaller individual cartridge adapters, so one could pick and choose, and yeah have a CD adapter as well.

And if you want to use original controller and not a USB one, you have to use the third box on the right. This entire thing is a mess. They should have put some money into the design, and if they wanted to separate the functions out into different parts like this they should have at least made it snappable modular. As it is setting it up in your cabinet will be an ugly mess.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
Did this one get permissions to use the emulators its using or did it write its own? Heh.

Most emulators are open source, so as long as they share any modifications they are ok. Those that are closed source could not be seamlessly integrated into a multi-console solution.

Hameyadea wrote:
One has to wonder, though, if they got permission to use the proprietary softwares (OS, protocols).

I see none on said consoles, could you please elaborate.

Hoppy800 wrote:
The glaring flaw of this is on the PCE side, the vast majority of good PCE games were only released on CD, it feel extremely bare without CD capability.

Maybe later on they will add usb cd/dvd support, there is at least one closed source emulator that uses high level emulation (instead of the original rom) to access the PCE cd functionality, maybe they can pay them to write such a module.
partially

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Most emulators are open source, so as long as they share any modifications they are ok. Those that are closed source could not be seamlessly integrated into a multi-console solution.

Just open-source, or open-source allowing for commercial purposes? There is a very big difference. You are still agreeing to a license agreement using open-source. And some obviously don't really like you using their code for your own monetary benefit. I see this a lot that people seem to think that all open-source is equal. It is not. And if you are planning to use someone elses software for something, read your license terms and make sure you actually can first.

mangamuscle wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:

I see none on said consoles, could you please elaborate.

I imagine Hameyadea is referring to the various cartridge adaptors. These cartridges don't use open protocols. Which is fine for a dodgy adaptor produced in China. Not so for a commercial sold console though. And I would be VERY surprised if they were able to wrangle permissions from all the various owners to make this thing.

Reading more on the website it seems there are various video filters and whatnot. I imagine they must be running a custom linux system on the thing and it is running PC architecture. They aren't very open about it though.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Just open-source, or open-source allowing for commercial purposes?

Recently MAME/MESS (the 800 pound gorilla of emulators) became open source for commercial purposes and it emulates said platforms and more, so there is at least one emulator that covers the bases (probably more, but I do not feel like googling it).

mangamuscle wrote:
I imagine Hameyadea is referring to the various cartridge adaptors.

Said adaptors were probably covered by patents, which expire after 20 years, so there.

partially wrote:
I imagine they must be running a custom linux system on the thing and it is running PC architecture. They aren't very open about it though.

My bet is that they are using ARM architecture to run this thing, since x86 is way too bloated (expensive, power hungry and produces too much heat).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1