• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Three Naruto Filler Arcs You Shouldn't Skip

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
48 Rices

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
Though I don't really like the fillers, I know Kurosuki Family / Raiga arc as the arc that shows the non-canon holder of the third 7 swords of the Land of the Mist beside the Kubikiribocho and Samehada. Man, that Kiba sword does give the team problems.

My other favorite is the "Laughing Shino" episode and the Mizuki arc that tells what happened to Mizuki after his defeat in the first episode. Quite a fun watch.

How about making one for Bleach/One Piece too? The Beast Swords arc (where the spirits of the zanpakuto went out from their swords and go wild) is pretty fun too since you don't always see the spirits of the swords beside Zangetsu.
tuklaw324

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
Last time it was about One Piece, this time it's Naruto. You guys got rid of House of 1000 Manga for these kind of features? I won't be surprised if the next one is titled "The best way to watch Bleach and which filler arcs are worth watching"
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/

Here, you can base your complaining on what we've actually published in the last month and not just this one article.

You said so yourself you liked the Shirobako one. We published one like it 2 weeks ago, and we have another one like that coming up soon, along with a bunch of other stuff.

And no, we didn't "get rid" of House of 1000 Manga, Jason retired it.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
This was a really fun piece. As soon as I saw the title, I figured Power would be on the list, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the Kurosuki Family arc made the cut. It's one of the few filler arcs I've made a point of rewatching. And I agree - Power really did feel like a feature film split into six parts.
brace625

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
I remember the 3 tails filler arc being ok, but it ended poorly because it had to tie in with the manga. The arc gave more focus on the countless other Orochimaru underlings. Same with the 6 tails jinchuriki, it was nice to learn a little about the character.
I think the The Twelve Guardian Ninja arc (NS ep54 to 71) was good. Asuma was a little more fleshed out before the Hidan fight. I say this with uncertainty as I only ever remember the arcs as being good, never great.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
Power was supposed to be a full-length movie, but they decided to switch it over to the TV format and kinda rush that Road to Ninja movie out the door (hence why one looks way better than the other). The DVD version for Power even has extended scenes because it had to be cut down for TV broadcast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RoamFree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
My favorite filler arcs are the Bikochu Beetle Arc, Sea Boss Arc, Treasure Hunt Arc, Three Criminal Brothers Arc, Trap Master Arc, the Hanabi Origin Arc and the Sand Village Chunin Exam Arc.

Last edited by RoamFree on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
tuklaw324

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/

Here, you can base your complaining on what we've actually published in the last month and not just this one article.

You said so yourself you liked the Shirobako one. We published one like it 2 weeks ago, and we have another one like that coming up soon, along with a bunch of other stuff.

And no, we didn't "get rid" of House of 1000 Manga, Jason retired it.

Point taken. I just hope we get to see more columns similar to House of 1000 Manga, or Justin's Buried Treasure and Pile of Shame. I don't mind these random features, but having a column dedicated on something specific that you read every couple of weeks is also good. Good thing we still have Answerman and The Mike Toole Show to look forward to every once in a while.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
What about the Kakashi Anbu Arc (Naruto Shippuden episodes 349-361) ? It details Kakashi's life in the Anbu Black Ops before he joined team Minato, and it's technically filler. I didn't see the whole thing, but its look at (even younger) child soldiers in the Naruto world is fascinating.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My other favorite is the "Laughing Shino" episode

I love this one, too! When it comes to Naruto filler, my favorites tend to be the one-shot humor-centric stories. It would be great to see a separate piece devoted to the series' funniest episodes.

Quote:
Power was supposed to be a full-length movie, but they decided to switch it over to the TV format and kinda rush that Road to Ninja movie out the door (hence why one looks way better than the other). The DVD version for Power even has extended scenes because it had to be cut down for TV broadcast.

This explains a lot. My one gripe about Power is that it ended very abruptly.
AeonFlux7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
Laughing Shino and curry Lee, good times. Of course naruto had some gems here and there, but the further they got the more they started focusing on flashbacks and stuff. I stopped watching like 30 eps ago in hope of plowing through the rest when it's over. The problem is when naruto turned fillers into milking and we'll have too keep watching until they can directly follow up the anime with the Boruto anime.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Gintama's approach was not necessarily voluntary on the part of the show's producers though IIRC.

Fairy Tail also followed the hiatus approach, but it is admittedly not as big as Naruto or One Piece, and I don't know if its time slot is good, so its producers don't have the same worries as Naruto's producers.
SilverSpades

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
What about the Kakashi Anbu Arc (Naruto Shippuden episodes 349-361) ? It details Kakashi's life in the Anbu Black Ops before he joined team Minato, and it's technically filler. I didn't see the whole thing, but its look at (even younger) child soldiers in the Naruto world is fascinating.

This. I've never been so interested in a filler before. I would even defend it and say while it doesn't count as canon-- it's the closest thing to it
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Gintama's approach was not necessarily voluntary on the part of the show's producers though IIRC.

I'm not sure if Gintoki was truly speaking for the producers, but a while back, there was a short segment in which the Odd Jobs crew discussed the tribulations of producing a long-running anime concurrently with a long-running manga. Gintoki claimed the show's production crew wanted to take periodic breaks in order to avoid catching up to the source material - but the series' popularity made this approach difficult.

Again, I don't know if he was genuinely acting as a mouthpiece for the production team or this segment was meant to be purely tongue-in-cheek. I have noticed, however, that whenever the Gintama anime goes on hiatus, it's riiiiiight on the cusp of catching up with the manga.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This. I've never been so interested in a filler before. I would even defend it and say while it doesn't count as canon-- it's the closest thing to it

I think the fillers are canonical to the anime, though. (As much as I wish this weren't true in certain cases.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4