• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nintendo to Lower Price of 2DS Handheld System

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is connected to the upcoming release of Yokai Watch in November. After all, from the beginning the 2DS was meant to be a cheap and child-friendly version of the 3DS that was released to coincide with a Pokemon game. I suspect they're hoping to do the same thing again - either people will stock up on the cheap models for the holidays (leaving extra money to spend on games) or that parents will go for the cheap model once their kids start demanding Yokai Watch. Either way, Nintendo benefits.

When you approach it from that angle, it's almost fiendishly clever.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I'll have to get one for Kingdom Hearts & Pokemon! I hate the 3D effect anyways it hurts my eyes O__o
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I just want a folding 2DS How much more would it cost?
terminus24

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I just want a folding 2DS How much more would it cost?
It's called a 3DS with the 3D turned off.

Anyways, I guess the price drop is good, since it's the cheap kids model, good for those wallets around Christmas. I'd just like them to announce the normal New 3DS already, I've been holding off on upgrading to the N3DSXL ever since they mentioned something about maybe bringing the normal size N3DS a few months ago.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Hoping this leads the way for the regular New 3DS. This clearing up some inventory and making way for New 3DS as a possible middle price point between 2DS and the XLs.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
This seems mighty tepid considering the amount of people who've bought N3DS XLs for $100 this past week.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
With Shigeru Ohmori appearing at Worlds with Matsuda and the rumors circling that there will be a new Pokemon game unveiled within the next week, this is an even brighter sign. If there will be any announcement, it will be within the next week....

Last edited by Lostlorn Forest on Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
That'd be pretty sudden. Any Pokémon game is a big seller, so I'd think it'd be important for Nintendo to let the public know a Pokémon game is coming.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
That'd be pretty sudden. Any Pokémon game is a big seller, so I'd think it'd be important for Nintendo to let the public know a Pokémon game is coming.

If you mean my choice of words, I did not mean that, I corrected it hehe Razz
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
Ah, all right then. I'm a Pokémon fan, but I'd like to make informed purchases, so that's why it struck me like that.

I'm still crossing my fingers for a Pokémon Stadium type game for the Wii U...
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Ah, all right then. I'm a Pokémon fan, but I'd like to make informed purchases, so that's why it struck me like that.

I'm still crossing my fingers for a Pokémon Stadium type game for the Wii U...

I hear ya Surprised I've never really been a spin-off type game, I'm only hoping for a main series truthfully Razz Though I'll probably settle on SMD anyway later in the year.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
With Shigeru Ohmori appearing at Worlds with Matsuda and the rumors circling that there will be a new Pokemon game unveiled within the next week, this is an even brighter sign. If there will be any announcement, it will be within the next week....

I'm not sure about the next week itself, but definitely within the next few weeks as they prepare the new Pokemon in the Mega Evolution special. We're all pretty sure it's Pokemon Z (or its equivalent, though signs are being much clearer this time around compared to B2W2). I'll genuinely be surprised if it's not.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I'm not sure about the next week itself, but definitely within the next few weeks as they prepare the new Pokemon in the Mega Evolution special. We're all pretty sure it's Pokemon Z (or its equivalent, though signs are being much clearer this time around compared to B2W2). I'll genuinely be surprised if it's not.

Well for starters, I HOPE the announcement wasn't just Pokken being released in Spring 2016, because I'm not that interested in Pokken. Mad

I don't think it will be, and I don't want it to be Pokemon Z. For one, I don't think they'd release an essential "remake" of a game (or extension) right after ORAS. Moreover, I actually would hate if they did that, because AT MOST there would be 30-40% more content than my Pokemon Y version sitting somewhere in my room. No thanks. If I were to guess, it's probably a new region altogether. New regions are always best for marketing as well.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
It's most likely the next major Pokémon release would be Z Version though. There are too many dangling threads, and ever since Generation II, there's always been at least one improved remake version in the same generation.

Bear in mind that odd-numbered generations are more about introducing large amounts of Pokémon, and even-numbered generations are more about bringing in new mechanics. Because they need time to come up with a lot of Pokémon, even-numbered generations tend to be longer. I don't think this is a coincidence, nor do I think they'll break that pattern any time soon. I am certain we will be getting a Z Version featuring Zygarde, but most likely in either late 2016 or early 2017 to space out those releases, and Generation VII will be released with a new region in late 2017 at the earliest.

Though I think for those wanting a new place to explore, another Team Cipher game would be for the best.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I am certain we will be getting a Z Version featuring Zygarde, but most likely in either late 2016 or early 2017 to space out those releases,

Early-mid 2016 prediction from me, mostly because new Pokemon not included in even the secret data of XY are popping up and with a most definite spoiler[Mega Zygarde, or alternate form], Pokemon Z is likely. They'd be releasing it early enough for people to play with it in the next film in the summer, where it/they would appear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2