• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Will Anime Ever Come To My Country (Legally)?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
Here is a question that I believe is on many people's minds. If an anime or a show is not legally available in your country, are fansubs technically illegal? Also, how do importing the BDs and DVDs from other countries factor into this equation?
consignia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If an anime or a show is not legally available in your country, are fansubs technically illegal?

It's all down to local law, I'd say. Many countries are signed up to the Berne convention, which should respect country of origin on artistic works for copyright. But if they are not, the country may be a regime where anything from foreigners is illegal anyway.

Obviously, I'm not not an expert, but this is my simplified view on the matter.
johnmp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
I was born in Vietnam, and I was luckly moved to the USA, I always said that I wished we never moved but after this question, I then realize how lucky I was to move here. If I stayed in Vietnam I probably wouldn't even know what anime is. But i hope one day all country can have freedom and rights like the USA because makes me feel sad when other. People who were born in country similar like mine don't have the rights like the USA.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
I live a place where the manga means mango. No, seriously, manga in the language here means mango (the fruit).

I only have one friend in my town who likes anime and manga like I do. Well, to a certain extent at least. No Funi, almost no Crunchy shows, no Hulu etc. All I have is Daisuki which I used for Kuroko no Basuke season 3 (though the player was troublesome most of the time but I digress).

Most people here have watched Pokemon, Doraemon and the like but don't know that they are anime. We have Animax but it's not popular at all. Afaik, only very few cable providers have Animax now. In other words, there are literally no anime and manga fans here except maybe one or two percent.

So I have to do things illegally. Buying stuff from the US is also out the question because my country's currency is suuuuper low when compared to the US dollar.

BUT, there is one thing I do, and that is, buy stuff directly from Japan! I'm learning Japanese and I like buying some manga, especially ones with Drama CD's from Japan. I love getting furoku from magazines as well.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
I imagine if they let you import manga into Iran, each panel would end up looking like:
GiriOni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
Quick correction: "Muslim morals" should be corrected to "Islamic morals" as Muslims are the people who follow the religion and Islam is the religion.
ICO44

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
I used to live there as well when I was a kid and the only anime I was able to watch was Capitan Tsubasa, I think they called it "Footbalista" there.

Last edited by ICO44 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
It has always been my assumption that the more a company keeps their properties out of other regions (regionally or intentionally) the more money they lose. Once people get in the habit of downloading something illegally it will be difficult to break that culture without offering an intense amount of incentives.

In the age of the internet it makes little sense for companies to not extend their licenses internationally whenever they can.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
Maybe Voice of America should should start broadcasting Prison School to Iran.
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Now I feel much better about my country. Sure, there's a lot of horrible shit going on, but at least no one censors whole culture here. Seriously, while reading this article I felt like I live in a world of enlightenment and progress.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Maybe Voice of America should should start broadcasting Prison School to Iran.

And Shimoneta. Man,I would love to see Muslims' reactions after watching these things...
Xaxtly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
As a person of Iranian decent who loves anime; it really pains me to see that you cant enjoy what I love with the same ease that I do. I know that things are getting slightly better with sanctions being eased and such; maybe a slight possibility if Japan pushes for an economic tie (given if the U.S approves of such) it might get bundled in.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
And Shimoneta. Man,I would love to see Muslims' reactions after watching these things...

I find it amusing that you seem to be implying that they would have some completely illogical / totally outrageous reactions which which would be a treat to be privy to, but that already happens to the same shows here.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Here is a question that I believe is on many people's minds. If an anime or a show is not legally available in your country, are fansubs technically illegal? Also, how do importing the BDs and DVDs from other countries factor into this equation?

Yup, it's still illegal because it's not where do you take "in" but you where do you take "from": original author is not making a yen from you, and I am quite sure he and his company would be glad taking more money from overseas.

As for Iran, well, the sanctions maybe lifting soon. Let's hope for the better.

Curiously, I keep on watching Arslan and thinking it could be a major hit there, with the Not-Persian kicking "Not-Bizantines/Indians" *sses... (except the minor thing about the priestess not-clothing)
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Orange Hollow wrote:
Now I feel much better about my country. Sure, there's a lot of horrible shit going on, but at least no one censors whole culture here. Seriously, while reading this article I felt like I live in a world of enlightenment and progress.

What is the anime and manga situation in Russia right now, and would it be possible for Iranians to legally import Japanese manga and/or anime from Russia? I think Russia is still trading with Iran despite the sanctions, right?

I knew a Jewish Iranian family in America that subscribed to a satellite entertainment package that included all Middle Eastern TV and radio ("all" as in from a whole bunch of countries in a variety of languages--Farsi TV from Iran, Arabic TV from a few different places, Urdu TV from Afghanistan, etc, "all" except Israeli TV and radio, basically). I remember watching The Magic School Bus in Farsi at their house and being surprised that Ms. Frizzle's hair wasn't covered in the Iranian version. I think they got some anime Masterpiece Theater classics, too, but that's not a whole lot of anime or animation in general. I feel for anime & manga fans who live in Iran or other Middle Eastern countries that wouldn't allow anime in for moral censoring reasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5