• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon: Mew Two no Gyakushū Evolution Film's Trailer Reveals CG-Animated Mewtwo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm still very conflicted on this remake because Mewtwo Strikes Back is one of my all time favorite of the original Pokemon movies. Making the entire movie CGI animation isn't helping me make up my mind about the film any easier. I'm not vehemently opposed to all CGI anime but Pokemon has always been in a 2D style and I feel like between the last two movies and the Sun and Moon anime, they've really stepped up their game with the level of high quality they give their 2D work. The CGI looks fine from the trailer but I feel like I need to see what Ash and Pikachu look like in CGI to see how I feel. I hope this reboot will do something fresh and original with Mewtwo instead of just copying the story beats of Takeshi Shudo's original film.

Edit: I think the info about Takeshi Shudo writing the script for the reboot is incorrect. Shudo can't be writing the script because he passed away a long time ago.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm still very conflicted on this remake because Mewtwo Strikes Back is one of my all time favorite of the original Pokemon movies. Making the entire movie CGI animation isn't helping me make up my mind about the film any easier. I'm not vehemently opposed to all CGI anime but Pokemon has always been in a 2D style and I feel like between the last two movies and the Sun and Moon anime, they've really stepped up their game with the level of high quality they give their 2D work.

The last two movies I agree had an interesting style to them, but Sun and Moon has been a real step down in quality animation wise. It reuses a lot of animation and cuts a lot of corners, especially during the battles. It's nowhere near as nice as XY's animation. I theorize that Sun and Moon's departure and direction is why the last few movies have had nothing to do with the TV show and have taken a more experimental approach with how they handle the movies.

-Stuart Smith
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Sun and Moon had very expressive character emotions and some of the best sakuga of the TV show has had in years. XY is fine but it basically looked the same as all the seasons that came before it. The movies went in an alternate reality reboot to celebrate the anniversary of the franchise. It had nothing to do with Sun and Moon. As far as I'm aware, Sun and Moon's ratings are still doing well. I will be interested to see how Pokemon fans who championed the last two movies as being better than Sun and Moon will react to this new movie being full CGI.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone tell which actor that is for Mewtwo? Masachika Ichimura from the original? Keiji Fujiwara from Smash Bros.? Maybe even Koichi Yamadera himself, as a little tip of the hat to his role as Mew? Or someone entirely different?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I’m very hesitant about the use of all CGI in this film.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Best Legendary.

Btw, I remember rewatching first movie in Japanese, years after first seeing it dubbed.
I was surprised when I found out how little cute Mew didn't have such peace loving nature in original.
Bullza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
So this is an actual CGI remake of the original movie?
Fuzzy Pickles!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I watched the original many times when I was a child and enjoyed it for what it was with the exception of the cringe-worthy scene where spoiler[Ash turned into stone and returned to life]. However, I have not seen the Japanese original but I am sure I would like to see it eventually.

As for this movie, I'm undecided. I'm not worried about the CGI since video games prove they can be done well but more if there will be something new for old fans to sink their teeth into. We'll see but hopefully that will be the case.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Edit: I think the info about Takeshi Shudo writing the script for the reboot is incorrect. Shudo can't be writing the script because he passed away a long time ago.

It's not a mistake. The Japanese site does credit him for the script which might indicate a close remake of the first movie.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Surely there will have to be a new writer to revise the script to fit the movie into the AU reboot canon even if it's using Shudo's script as a source?
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
^Maybe, but that wouldn't get people talking.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I hope this reboot will do something fresh and original with Mewtwo instead of just copying the story beats of Takeshi Shudo's original film.

Even if it does copy it, I'd at least welcome it if the English version remains faithful this time. I think we've come along far enough to allow Mewtwo and Mew's morally gray characters from the original script to survive the transition, which would give English-only viewers a chance to experience something other than the conventional clash of good vs. evil that 4Kids opted for.
tuturuu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Takeshi Shudō (Pokemon: The First Movie) is writing the script.

wtf he's DEAD
Feli1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:41 pm Reply with quote
wow what a way to kill the mood
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:32 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I will be interested to see how Pokemon fans who championed the last two movies as being better than Sun and Moon will react to this new movie being full CGI.

Animation wise they were better, but I hated the AU/non-canon story. Not that Sun & Moon has much story either, but the new movie being CGI is disappointing. The One Piece CGI film was a glorified PS2 game cutscene. Mewtwo looks fine, since it's not in that awful Detective Pikachu style CG designs, but the real issue is going to be the humans.

All I know is the next generation can't come fast enough Laughing S&M has been a chore to keep up with and I've actually fallen behind out of disinterest. It honestly might be the first Pokemon series I don't finish, and the movies have been kinda the same. I want to go back to the good old days where the movies tied into the show and the show was about traveling around getting companions and Gym Badges *smacks walking cane on the ground*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2