• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls Beyond the Wasteland (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote

Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance
Themes:

Plot Summary: Buntarō is a student who wants to be something, but doesn't know what. One day his female classmate Sayuki announces she is working on a bishōjo (pretty girl) game. Sayuki scouted him because he wrote a good script for drama club, but Buntarō doesn't know anything about bishōjo games.

Preview:
https://youtu.be/rblaPG33Hnk
----------------------------------

It's based on the original scenario written by Romeo Tanaka, which I heard good things about it. There's an OVA that was announced prior to the TV anime adaptation too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Yay finally my KanaHana fix. She wasn't in any of the shows I was watching last season Sad
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Sayuki reminds me of Yukino from Yahari for some reason. I don't think they have the same VA though. It was an alright episode, didn't come into the show with strong impressions but it did satisfy me with the way the dialogues were delivered.

The comedy is kinda nice too so I'll look forward to more to see where this goes. Premise reminds me of Saekano especially with that ending.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Yep, this definitely reminds me of SaeKano. But at least so far it doesn't seem to fall into the pitfall that one did, so it's not a bad thing. The friend trio has pretty nice chemistry together, and are fun to watch. Kuroda, not so much, especially those final lines that apparently made the MC amazed. Also, that was an Urobuchi call out, wasn't it?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Hmm, this feels a lot like Saekano, and that was even before the reveal the story of making a game, it feels worthy to compare and contrast. It avoided any semblance of fanservice, but it also avoided the high amount of self awareness that made it stand out. It is not as pretty, but it also feels somewhat nicely grounded. And I guess it is avoiding the anime drama parts, but at the risk of asking where it goes from here.

I like the characters I guess. Well I was bound to the moment I saw Sayuki get highlighted as not only socially awkward, but likes black clothes and such, kind of makes me identify with her. Although I feel a little like she is a bit ignorant of the money and or fame things of her goal, perhaps starting from not knowing her skills.

Actually, I don't think I have a good read on this yet, can't quite get what its angle is yet.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Bunta sure is a popular guy.
It's slightly amazing how he manages to do so much.]

Anime that feels like slice of life.
*sigh* skipping this.
Sadly, 1st episode didn't provide enough to interest me.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, this felt like a bore to me. The first few minutes weren't so bad in building the MC's character but afterwards everything kind of bored me. The whole "misunderstanding this is an actual date" aspect didn't work out for me because I knew that it wasn't the case from the synopsis/PV I've watched. It wasn't a bad first episode, it just didn't impress me enough. I do think I'll stick with the show for a while to see how it goes but like DuskyPredator brought up, I think Saekano does a better job of a somewhat similar premise.

Anyways, I do like the reference to Gen Urobochi when they pointed out the obvious Madoka Magica poster. I think that'll be some of the fun I have with the show -- observing it for references to visual novels or whatever (I'll have to rewatch the part where they enter the store).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
I liked it for the characters but the show hooked me on a completely different point; "Bunta, you wrote the play, didn't you know it was yuri?" "I didn't know, I just adapted it."

That is an interesting worldview, narrow yet somehow capable. He's well liked, far better at getting people involved and invested than either the class rep/pres or Kuroda... more on her later... but he has a blindness that I like in both how people use him and how he connects with them in return. Vision without sight, if you get it.

Yuuka's next. I liked how she managed to work out her role without flubbing a line... oh, it's called "improv" but dumbtitles can't cover everything. Tch, "yuri"... and yet she doesn't seem that interested in acting. Maybe I should say that in the play, she's focused and controlled while in real life, she's a bundle of childish energy yet she can shut it all down. A little bipolar, at the very least, right?

Kuroda... look, I didn't any connections to Saekano because I hated that series so Kuroda reminded me of Yukino from Love SNAFU. I liked that one. Kuroda is a lot more face that actual person right now... in other words, I think it's all an act and the real her is a lot closer to the girl who could barely give Bunta a piece of paper she picked up or the one who was suddenly embarrassed to be in the men's room. So I think most of the episode was I her stuck behind a rehearsed spiel but every now and then, Bunta cracked her mask a bit.

Anyway, it got me interested and it made me laugh. For a first episode, mission accomplished.

Honestly, the show had me at the guy not knowing he just wrote his female best friend as a lesbian.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

"This world is a wasteland" - 2016

I'm going to remember that quote for awhile. As for this episode, it didn't take long for the club to assemble. Not bad. However, I still have some mixed thoughts about the show. It needs to be careful with the dialogues it uses. A times, I like it, other times I find it uninteresting. Lol, Andou at the secret cafe. At least she looks cute.

Also, it looks like Sayuki and Andou has some weird rivalry going on lol...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
So their team members include a jaded 2D lover, a fujoshi programmer and a hopeful hentai artist. Not that there is anything wrong with the later two.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I felt that this episode helped a lot more in gauging my interest in the show. The instance with Atomu wanting to join the club gave some subtle insights to his character -- that he doesn't want to be left out from his peers. His sudden breakdown from the trigger word, "riaju," attests this theory of mine.

Kuroda also becomes more interesting when the scene in the cafe reveals more about her. her whole "winning is the only option" attitude comes across as a bit cynical and realistic (because if games don't sell, they're sort of failures). I wonder what attributes to this view of her and if her brother has a role in it since he's supposedly in a game company.

Bunta also turns out to be more than just a helpful guy. his innocuous reaction to the everything gives him this blissful ignorance of reality.

I also really enjoyed the recruiting of Yuuki -- her innocuous response to the letter and then the follow up meeting gave me a good laugh. It's as if everyone's bullying her and her reaction is quite cute.

But, dang, this is a club full of loonies. As for references caught this episode (1): Saekano (at least I'm sure that it's Saekano, the uniforms match). I couldn't recognize the posters in the maid cafe.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Got some mixed thoughts about this show right now.

The dialogues aren't as interesting as I had thought anymore compared to the first episode. Andou and Sayuki has a bit of rivalry going on in this episode as well. For their idea, most of them are generic and I feel like they didn't make much progress. Sayuki was also quite blunt about her rejection until they later settled it.

I hope they make their games worthy. Andou is still my favorite character in this show so far because of her personality. I'd like to know more about Sayuki though as well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
They are going to release their game physically? I have not really thought about how it might be in Japan, but from all the talk on indie games in the west, online distribution is how it is mostly being done. They are making small first, so imagine they would probably have an easier time with some sort of online game distributor, and selling the game for a few bucks. Cut out costs of physical discs, and try and ride word of mouth, and the reputation of their artist. Does Japan not have something like STEAM?

But she has another company lined up. How was this done?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

I think physical releases allow for more exposure to the crowd since Japan focuses so heavily on physical merchandise. This is actually an interesting topic since the West also relies on crowdfunding to finance the development of their games. Whereas Japan, from information in this episode, seems to allow "partnerships" (which honestly sounds more like funding and expecting profits in return). Regarding your question about STEAM, last I recall, Japan isn't too big on PC gaming -- they seem to one of the few countries that still have arcades as well. Actually, this Kotaku article addresses PC gaming in Japan though I don't think they're that great of a source.

As for Kuroda's connection to a company, I assume it's probably her brother's company with all the talk in the previous episode about her brother working in a gaming company.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
@ EmbraceMe

Than that is rather interesting, because although I don't really play much indie games myself, I know that they at least often have a big influence on it. It has been more of a hobby lately that I have been watching lets plays of visual novels and dating sims. I got a new laptop recently, so I was considering actually looking into STEAM to play such games.

And back on crowdfunding, it does feel like now it has come to attention of bigger people in Japan. From the Shenmue controversy with Sony, to a number of big designers leaving the company and making something like a spiritual successor. Despite all the big games of last year, one of the games that got the most attention was an indie crowdfunded game.

Partnerships are not entirely all bad, but surely they have had increased opinions that often the company might hold some power over the developers that could stifle the creativity, especially if you are going to them because they are separate (high schoolers). Perhaps I am using wrong words, but wouldn't minimal control over them instead be something like a "publisher".

I do think the hint might be that it related her brother's company. But if it was a big one like one of the characters said it was, then why is she so desperate to make a successful game?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3