• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses Fruits Basket, 2 Other Manga by Natsuki Takaya

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic news! Will definitely pick up the fruits basket manga as I never got to get the original. Now if only someone would pick up the D.N Angel manga I'd be the happiest girl ever! Tokyopop closed and the English release never got finished. It's one of my all time favorite series and it's sad that it'll probably never get finished Anime cry
partially

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Surprised this one took so long to come back.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm thrilled to hear more of Takaya's work will see an English release! I already own Fruits Basket but if there's new content I may be tempted to double-dip.

Regardless, Twinkle Stars and [i]Liselotte[/i] are instan-buys.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Twinkle Stars was published in English in Singapore though I guess that doesn't count.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
Twinkle Stars was published in English in Singapore though I guess that doesn't count.

Since Singapore is not considered part of 'the West', your guess is correct. 'West' in this case does not automatically mean 'English'.

Anyway, this is great news. I would definitely like to pick up the updated volumes.
BluExocet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Of course this is announced after I get rid of the few TokyoPop Fruits Basket volumes I had. At least I get a chance to finish the story.

DuchessBianca wrote:
Now if only someone would pick up the D.N Angel manga I'd be the happiest girl ever! Tokyopop closed and the English release never got finished. It's one of my all time favorite series and it's sad that it'll probably never get finished Anime cry

Viz has got you covered, digitally.
http://www.viz.com/manga/digital/d-n-angel
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
BluExocet wrote:

Thanks! Though unfortunately it seems that they only go up to Vol 13 which is the last Vol that Tokyopop put out but there was a Vol 14 scheduled to be released before they went out of business. I have no clue how many volumes the Japanese release has and I believe I heard that the writer went on a hiatus and not sure if they ever finished it or how many already released volumes are out that aren't released in English.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
SnowWarren wrote:

Since Singapore is not considered part of 'the West', your guess is correct. 'West' in this case does not automatically mean 'English'.

Anyway, this is great news. I would definitely like to pick up the updated volumes.

Actually, I thought West meant "First World Countries".

Regardless, looks I'll be buying a third translation of Fruits Basket for comparison on my blog.

And I'll be able to compare Twinkle Stars to it's Singapore counterpart.

http://mangaanotherstory.blogspot.com.au/
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
BluExocet wrote:
Of course this is announced after I get rid of the few TokyoPop Fruits Basket volumes I had. At least I get a chance to finish the story.

Same, I ended up donating my random copies, along with random D. Gray Man volumes, to a convention's manga library earlier this year because scrambling for the Tokyopop editions were ridiculous. Even had to buy the latest Funi re-release since my older DVD looked so weird.

OH, I'm so glad to buy Fruits Basket in order; still one of my favorite shoujo manga. Very Happy Even if Yen Press aren't known for omnibus, I'll just take the Kodansha Comics Sailor Moon route and buy it the second its available. I'll pick up the other two manga by Takaya of course!
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
YAY! Will definitely be picking these up ASAP, even though I already have all of Fruits Basket. I'm looking forward to the new version.

This news has really made my day. I'll probably be smiling like a goon at work all day tomorrow.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
BluExocet wrote:

DuchessBianca wrote:
Now if only someone would pick up the D.N Angel manga I'd be the happiest girl ever! Tokyopop closed and the English release never got finished. It's one of my all time favorite series and it's sad that it'll probably never get finished Anime cry

Alas, Viz only licensed TokyoPop's original releases and that's all the released digitally. They are not actually continuing the series Sad

There are currently 15 volumes in Japan, so the last two have remained unlicensed and unreleased. There are also at least 3 more chapters that have not been put into volumes yet.

Sugisaki had it on a 3 year hiatus, then restarted it. I think, it is now running in Monthly Asuka again, but not positive.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I was just thinking about FB a little while ago on another forum. It's surprising that this news appears. That's great news. Now it's available for those that didn't finish collecting or new readers. Definitely something to rejoice about it.

We bought the series for the collection when it was first introduced. We never got around to finishing the series as we never got any requests, plus we don't have the space for a title that has 20+ vols. We keep just enough on hand to give the students enough for casual entertainment and academic purposes. Surprised
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Already collecting the collector's editions of Fruba in Japanese so I don't know if I'll buy it again, but I'm so happy my favorite manga will be back in print over here! Very Happy I'm curious to see the new translation at least, since I'm not the world's biggest fan of Tokypop's translation.

But I'll definitely grab Takaya's other series! I've been hoping they'd be licensed for a while now and I'm glad I'll finally be able to have them in English. I got the first volume of Twinkle Stars a while ago and it's really sweet, but I haven't read the rest.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I've been buying the French releases of Twinkle Stars, so odds are I won't buy the English release, but it is a good series, and I recommend it to slice of life fans (and especially fans of Fruits Basket).
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Good good...

Now please, SJ take note, and finish publishing the remaining volumes of Strawberry 100%
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2