• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nikkei: Hideo Kojima Leaves Konami, Starts New Company

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
He should totally make Zone of the Enders 3, or at least a spiritual successor. I imagine if he didn't take the rights with him, Konami would sell the rights for a low price considering how unprofitable it supposedly would have been for them going by HD collection sales. They aren't going to do anything with the IP. It's just going to sit and rot on their shelf.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
This surprises nobody. EVERY Japanese developer that has had poor treatment of their property has done this.
ETX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Hoping for a sequel to Metal Gear Rising as unlikely as it is.

Raiden is awesome!
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
Hoping for a sequel to Metal Gear Rising as unlikely as it is.

Raiden is awesome!
Unfortunately Kojima has no control over Metal Gear anymore and Konami is not likely to commission another Rising game. They'll probably just make more Metal Gear pachinko machines and a mobile spin-off with microtransactions.
tailwhip

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
It's good if Kojima can take as many former colleague with him, I heard Konami has been treating it's employee very poorly in attempt to get them to quit on their own.[/url]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
How do these non-compete clauses work? I understand the purpose is to prevent, or at least discourage, leaking of company secrets and techniques to their competitors, but if that was the case, why does it take effect for a temporary period after leaving the company? I can see the logic behind a non-compete clause that ends once you leave, and a non-compete clause that's permanent (Amy's Baking Company infamously had one, where people who worked for Amy's were not allowed to work in another restaurant or start another one for their entire lives), but what advantages to a company would a temporary post-leaving non-compete clause have over the other two?

Nyren wrote:
He should totally make Zone of the Enders 3, or at least a spiritual successor. I imagine if he didn't take the rights with him, Konami would sell the rights for a low price considering how unprofitable it supposedly would have been for them going by HD collection sales. They aren't going to do anything with the IP. It's just going to sit and rot on their shelf.

I think Konami and Kojima are on really bad terms with each other and hate each other's guts. Konami blocked Kojima from the Video Game Awards, even though Konami had no benefit to doing so. It was a pure spite move. Hence, I don't think Konami's going to give any intellectual rights to Kojima any time soon.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, it looks like the nightmare is over. We're still going to have to deal with Konami's hair brained attempts to 're-invent' Metal Gear (Knowing them they'll probably just give the series to some random no talent western studio) but at least Kojima is safe, sound and still making games.

I wouldn't be surprised if half of the actors refused to sign on for future titles because of all this mess.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Guys, if Kojima would do some games, then we will get a New name. Remember Konami owns all (or most) of the games names that made Kojima big
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Seska1973 wrote:
Guys, if Kojima would do some games, then we will get a New name. Remember Konami owns all (or most) of the games names that made Kojima big
Yes, Konami does have the rights to all his franchises. However, that doesn't mean he, or another publisher, couldn't buy the IP. Granted, they'd probably charge an arm and a leg for it, even if they don't even want it(Zone of the Enders). They're making a push out of the AAA console game business. They might as well at least trim the fat off their catalog.

Not to mention if Kojima made a kickstarter to buy an IP back from Konami, I can almost guarantee you it would be funded no matter the price. Because 1) It's Kojima, everyone loves Kojima and everyone loves his games. And 2) Just to spite Konami because of all the bullshit they've pulled this past year.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I hope Kojima takes this new rumored company and floors Konami..just saying. I mwan, he totally deserves to keep doing what he does!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll be curious to see what happens since now Kojima has to make good on all those times he commented that he wanted to move on from Metal Gear and make something else. Sequels to anything he has made previously would belong to Konami, and I would think that other publishers would be eager to be able to say they are involved in Kojima's first completely new game after Metal Gear.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
By this time next year Kojima will have announced he's making a "Not" Metal Gear game and or a "Not" Silent Hill(S) game, Just like every one else that done this.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:
By this time next year Kojima will have announced he's making a "Not" Metal Gear game and or a "Not" Silent Hill(S) game, Just like every one else that done this.

That was my first thought, but how does copyright work for something like that? Could he literally make another Metal Gear game as long as he changes the title and characters?
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
ReifuTD wrote:

That was my first thought, but how does copyright work for something like that? Could he literally make another Metal Gear game as long as he changes the title and characters?
He probably could, but I imagine he'd want to try something completely new if he isn't going to make a sequel or spiritual successor to one of his previous series. Start his new post-Konami career off with a bang.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Similar to Mighty No 9, I would not be surprised if Kojima uses Kickstarter to fund his (not) Metal Gear sequel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3