• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paper Mario Color Splash Game Announced for 2016

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:47 am Reply with quote
I was at the live stream event at the NYC Nintendo store on Thursday.
Some of the reactions in the crowd was disappointment when they saw the new Paper Mario game.
terminus24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:34 am Reply with quote
Disappointment was pretty much my reaction when I saw this, Paper Mario:Sticker Star ruined the series, and it just looks like more of the same. Shame, since the first two games were fantastic RPGs.

This is probably going to be the first entry in the series I won't even touch.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:01 am Reply with quote
this is one of the few times i'll say this to nintendo but, "if it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT"! seriously the only thing holding the game together is the plot,and that's not enough to get me to buy it.

the thousand year door was definitely the last good paper mario game,yes i know they need retool it to keep it from getting stale,but so far none of their efforts are helping it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
It's a card battle game? Why? That makes no sense.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
Haven't really gotten around to watching the Direct concerning Paper Mario: Color Splash just yet, but judging from the comments, not many folks seemed excited for its debut. It's been said that much of the title has similarities to Sticker Star, which received quite a bit of negativity due to it having limited options, no story, and an unbalanced combat system.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
Fans are all again...

They are really hard to please. Sometimes it makes hate them a lot.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
Fans are all again...

Well, let's look at WHY they're upset:

1) Sticker Star was weak. Especially since it was a game that encouraged you to avoid most battles as you would simply lose stickers as a result
2) Nintendo is flat out LYING to "justify" this massive overhaul to the series. They flat out called the Paper Mario series an "action/adventure" series. Yeah, I guess they're hoping no one will remember those first two games on the 64/Gamecube that were clearly RPGs.

People are allowed to express disappointment and frustration if a company chooses to ignore criticisms of a previous installment (Sticker Star). If that actually makes you hate these people, that's quite the overreaction you're having.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
Was a little hopeful for this when it was rumored a month or two ago. I held back a lot of excitement because of how Sticker Star was. It would take a whole lot to sell me on a new Paper Mario after that game.

And... Sadly, not only can I not say that this game has sold me, but it has done everything to not get a sell from me.

RIP Paper Mario series. Sad
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
2) Nintendo is flat out LYING to "justify" this massive overhaul to the series. They flat out called the Paper Mario series an "action/adventure" series. Yeah, I guess they're hoping no one will remember those first two games on the 64/Gamecube that were clearly RPGs.

It seems that Nintendo is losing their steam with Paper Mario these days, as my time with the initial title on the N64 and The Thousand Year Door were very enjoyable thanks to the emotional bonds with the partners that I met, the challenging boss fights, and the awesome music scores that were unique to their own worlds. If only I could relive those moments...
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

It seems that Nintendo is losing their steam with Paper Mario these days, as my time with the initial title on the N64 and The Thousand Year Door were very enjoyable thanks to the emotional bonds with the partners that I met, the challenging boss fights, and the awesome music scores that were unique to their own worlds. If only I could relive those moments...

Good thing the N64 game is available on the Wii U Virtual Console then. Anime hyper
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
Fans are all again...

Which is why it's best not to get involved with them.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Which is why it's best not to get involved with them.

That's right, best to not feed them. Well, I just hope the story is not barebones this time.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
TheAnagelic1 wrote:
Good thing the N64 game is available on the Wii U Virtual Console then. Anime hyper

Yeah, wish the GC one was as well. The GC library is the big missing element of the Wii U virtual console.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
TheAnagelic1 wrote:

That'd be good.......if the game's quality matched.
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
TheAnagelic1 wrote:

Yeah, wish the GC one was as well. The GC library is the big missing element of the Wii U virtual console.

Probably a bit late in the game to start work on Gamecube emulation that match Nintendo's VC standards, especially if the NX is to launch this or next year. Least with the 3DS it'll carry on having support for a few years after it's successor is released (The GBA and DS carried on having new games for a good few years after their successors came out.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2