Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses RIN-NE 2 Sequel Anime




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hersh31



Joined: 14 Mar 2016
Posts: 22
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE Rumiko Takahashi's work. My favorite anime of all time is Maison Ikkoku. I am looking forward to delving into this series. If anyone has watched this, what do you think about it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ilovemurakamo



Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
It hasn't even aired yet and it's already licensed? My God Sentai, you haven't even released the first season on home media yet. It's nice you pick up lots of licenses but....you have to release them as well instead of just sitting on them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DuchessBianca



Joined: 24 Apr 2015
Posts: 562
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
ilovemurakamo wrote:
It hasn't even aired yet and it's already licensed? My God Sentai, you haven't even released the first season on home media yet. It's nice you pick up lots of licenses but....you have to release them as well instead of just sitting on them.


Has nothing to do with them "sitting on" their licenses and EVERYTHING to do with holdbacks from japan. Japan still worries about reverse importation with how much cheaper anime is in NA compared to Japan. While I dont know the exact details NA companies are pretty much forced to wait until Japan gives the okay or however its done for them to release in on bluray/dvd in NA. Usually takes 1-2 years after an anime airs in Japan for NA companies to release anime on bluray/dvd and since S1 of Rin-Ne finished airing this past september I wouldn't expect a home media release until early 2017 at the EARLIEST. Nothing Sentai or any other NA company can do at all. It sucks but thats how its been forever and how it will continue to be until Japan gets over their fears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 14 Jan 2011
Posts: 272
Location: inland US west, pretty rural
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
Hersh31 wrote:
I LOVE Rumiko Takahashi's work. My favorite anime of all time is Maison Ikkoku. I am looking forward to delving into this series. If anyone has watched this, what do you think about it?


Not her best. Very mild. Manga has a rep for being very repetitive. I watched the first season on crunchy last fall, and one or two eps were nice, but it is fast wearing out it's novelty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hersh31



Joined: 14 Mar 2016
Posts: 22
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
The first season is available on Huluplus as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaggedAuthor



Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Posts: 976
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Hersh31 wrote:
I LOVE Rumiko Takahashi's work. My favorite anime of all time is Maison Ikkoku. I am looking forward to delving into this series. If anyone has watched this, what do you think about it?


Not her best. Very mild. Manga has a rep for being very repetitive. I watched the first season on crunchy last fall, and one or two eps were nice, but it is fast wearing out it's novelty.


I personally enjoy it, but it's definitely my least favorite of her long-running comedies. Many of the character archetypes and relationship dynamics can be found in her other series, in which they're utilized to greater comic effect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ilovemurakamo



Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
ilovemurakamo wrote:
It hasn't even aired yet and it's already licensed? My God Sentai, you haven't even released the first season on home media yet. It's nice you pick up lots of licenses but....you have to release them as well instead of just sitting on them.


Has nothing to do with them "sitting on" their licenses and EVERYTHING to do with holdbacks from japan. Japan still worries about reverse importation with how much cheaper anime is in NA compared to Japan. While I dont know the exact details NA companies are pretty much forced to wait until Japan gives the okay or however its done for them to release in on bluray/dvd in NA. Usually takes 1-2 years after an anime airs in Japan for NA companies to release anime on bluray/dvd and since S1 of Rin-Ne finished airing this past september I wouldn't expect a home media release until early 2017 at the EARLIEST. Nothing Sentai or any other NA company can do at all. It sucks but thats how its been forever and how it will continue to be until Japan gets over their fears.


I know that Sentai has already started to focus on the "limited edition" side of things more these days. But they aquired it before it even aired. There's a ton of stuff that they aquired that aired last year, but maybe only 1/8 has been announced with release dates and such. Of course Sentai also releases shows that don't get dubs as well..those also for some reason take at least 2 years before they see the light of day. I know dubbing takes time and they don't do the whole broadcast dub thing like funimation does. But if it doesn't need to be dubbed in the first place don't you think it shouldnt take as long. Some Japanese companies have American branches like Aniplex and pony cannon. And they employ the Japanese anime industry business model - ie low episode count for lots of money with limited edition extras. Well last I checked North America is not Japan. Even if I don't really care so much anymore if a show gets a dub or not I still think it's ridiculous to pay $80 US per volume for Monster Musune on Blu-Ray with only 2 episodes a release just so I can get all the different artwork covers instead of the standard one. Sentai also seems to be re-releasing a lot of their back catalogue from the ADV days. Maybe it's because Sentai has a lot smaller work staff than funimation. But lately their release pace has just gone down. It isn't what it used to be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group