• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shonen Jump Site Teases April for Hunter x Hunter Manga's Return

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoułEater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
MY BODY IS READY
Encore22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Old Yugi-oh and Hunter x hunter, damn. Togashi better not go on another hiatus for a while!!!
javierm885778

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
I think it's hilarious that they are using the exact same Gon picture they used to announce Hunter x Hunter's return on 2014.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Is this a good series to get into despite the hiatus? I tend to buy and read and was wondering if this would be great in my collection
XSp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
@Desertking22 The series has tons of fans even though the author is famous for taking 2 year breaks... you don't even have to ask. xD
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I like that date, pretty soon.

Desertking22 wrote:
Is this a good series to get into despite the hiatus? I tend to buy and read and was wondering if this would be great in my collection

Definetely. In fact, volume 32 can be considered an ending point (it's where the anime ended), if you've ever read or watched Yu Yu Hakusho/Level E from the same author, his series can have endings like the end of said volume.

Even if HxH isn't completed, there is no regret in reading it, honestly.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Desertking22 wrote:

HunterXHunter (silent X) has not good art, but an amazing storytelling. The art isn't too terrible and it has its own flair. It's very dialogue-heavy. So if you are used to reading a series like Bakuman. or Death Note, reading a lot of dialogue shouldn't be new for you.

It's not really a pure battle manga, as there are several conflicts that aren't resolve through battles alone, and the main protagonist doesn't fight the main villain of the respective arc in every arc, since all arcs are really different from each other. The series makes it clear that Gon has huge potential, but he's usually outmatched against more experienced people. But power is never a the most important factor, since all battles are strategic, and pure strength only works if you are fighting fodder.

Even though Gon is your traditional kid hero like Goku, Gon's character is rather difficult to get. He is honest, stubborn and straightforward, but his morals are weird. He really doesn't divide between good and evil. If he has an agenda against someone, then having him as an enemy is not really good for you. But if you do him something good, he'll treat you well, even if you're a serial killer or an assassin.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Yea, it's still a fantastic read. Just regard one chapter short of the end of vol 32 (so, ch 339) as the 'real' end for now. Then treat everything after that as bonus. It'll be much less stressful as a HxH fan that way.
Why 339? Because 340 started a new arc. Then it went on hiatus for like 2 and a quarter years (no, I'm not counting the 2 Kurapika chapters strictly made for promoting a movie). Then we got another 9 chapters over like 11 issues. Then it returned to hiatus. And now here we are.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I like how they're promoting the temporary return of some of WSJ's most legendary shonen, what with Naruto Gaiden being a spinoff, Yu-Gi-Oh! DSoD being a promotional manga and Hunter x Hunter... well, doing what little it always does. It's kind of depressing actually haha.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it gets annoying to follow Hunter X Hunter right now, but there's enough content in this series to start if you'd like. There have been 32 volumes published, and while there are still plenty of loose ends, it does feel like our protagonist's story is mostly complete.

Yoshihiro Togashi seems able to just pick up where he leaves off, so if you read the manga one chapter after another, you'll never even notice where he went on hiatus.
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Guess he got around finishing every Dragon Quest, huh?[/list]
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I guess with that promo pic it looks like its 1999 again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JDude042

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I posted in the other thread about this, but I'll just quote it for others to read:

JDude042 wrote:
I think I've done more than enough bashing in previous threads in regards to Togashi's release schedule and work ethic personally. Honestly although it's surprising to see the news that the manga is returning, considering the amount of hiatuses beforehand, this news is pretty underwhelming considering his track record. Like many have said before, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just gonna be another short spurt of chapters and then another long hiatus again. It's better not to get your hopes up with this one folks. I'm not even discussing whether or not health related issues are really holding him back from a more frequent release schedule or if he's just taking things at his own pace because he's allowed to get away with it, but I know a lot of people wish he would just find the right balance between work and off time. Togashi man... his entire existence is a paradox is far as I'm concerned.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I do loved YuYu Hakusho and that's why I'm so drawn to this...
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:

Even though Gon is your traditional kid hero like Goku, Gon's character is rather difficult to get. He is honest, stubborn and straightforward, but his morals are weird. He really doesn't divide between good and evil. If he has an agenda against someone, then having him as an enemy is not really good for you. But if you do him something good, he'll treat you well, even if you're a serial killer or an assassin.

I really liked how his development went through in the Chimera arc. Just by seeing this image you get my point
He becomes a lot darker to the point it angsts his best friend Killua when he threatens spoiler[Pitou who is busy healing a wounded girl, Komugi.] I wonder if Togashi plans to bring back this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2