• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuri!!! on Ice (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Yuri!!! on Ice (TV)

Genres: tournament
Themes: ice-skating, sports

Plot Summary: Yūri Katsuki carried all of Japan's hopes on his shoulders to win at the Gran Prix Finale ice skating competition, but suffered a crushing defeat. He returns home to Kyushu and half feels like he wants to retire, and half feels like he wants to continue ice skating. Suddenly the five-time consecutive world championship ice skater Victor Nikiforov appears before him with Yuri Plisetsky, a young Russian figure skater who is already defeating his seniors. Victor and both Yuris take up the challenge on an unprecedented Gran Prix series.
---------------------------------

A series about ice skating! After seeing the preview, I'm actually really excited about this especially with the staff involved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
Before the discussion gets rolling, might I suggest that rather than referring to "Japanese Yuri" and "Russian Yuri" we use either Yuuri or Yūri for the former and Yuri for the latter? It should make typing simpler anyway. Smile
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Solid start, we got characters from a variety of countries for competition and they didn't waste time at introducing the most prominent ones.

Animation quality by MAPPA looks good with a fine degree of realism. Good OP song as well. Out of all the characters, that Viktor guy stands out the most in terms of look and ability. Looks like he's quite famous too. Pretty good episode overall, has a lot of potential.

Glorious music.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

And this is why I give shows a chance even if that I likely won't like it. The general art style of the promotional art and the hint that it was about ice skating kind of put me off, but the execution of this first episode was so well done that this is going to be an enjoyable watch.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Another great episode. I can't help but like Victor because of the personality he shows. Like he is really normal to talk to despite being an international celebrity. Of course, I like how he wants to test Yuri and Yuuri of their abilities by making them take risks.

Yuri Plisetsky has quite an intimidating presence in the show as well. He already establishes a rivalry with Yuuri and I'm really interested to see how far this goes. Would like to know more about his past as well.

The comedy is still pretty funny to watch with the character reactions.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm getting used to the comedy bits, or else they used them more sparingly/appropriately this time, not sure which. Viktor's great, with an interesting combination of maturity and innocence. He seems to be enjoying his life, at least by present appearances. Yuri also has maturity beyond his years mixed with a kid's innocence, but in him the combo manifests completely differently from Viktor's. Yūri, on the other hand, just seems innocent across the board.

Definitely looking good now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I liked the social media parts. Victor getting enamored with a tourist attraction, getting a picture taken and uploaded, followed by the media chasing him down. And when Yuri (Russian) holding himself back from posting a picture of something he found weird, before finding a shirt he likes and posting a picture of himself, leading his coach to being pissed that he went to Japan.

Also the OP song is good, perhaps because it sounds pretty native English.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

And gallons of blood were shed in the name of Eros!

I think that might be the first time I've genuinely laughed at a blood-spray joke. ::fans self:: But oh my, the eros was definitely strong in the subsequent scene. She spouted too soon and missed the best part. Very Happy I'm surprised Yuuri didn't join her on the floor in a pool of blood after that.

So much skating! Ahhh!! Soooo good. Those costumes must be hell to animate, especially with the netting.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

So, I honestly already knew how the three episodes would go because the plot summaries were released online and found them on Tumblr. So far i am absolutly convinced that this is my second favorite anime of 2016...only if the ending isn't awful.

Even though the humor improved and the Hot Springs on Ice animation was great, Episode 3 proved why I am worried about Victor's intentions. Yuri describes his Eros routine as a wandering Casanova seducing the town's women and finally claiming the main woman only to ditch her later. Obviously, Yuri's no heartbreaker but, I flipping cheered when he said the desirable woman role (and Victor's non binary outfit) fit him better. Jeez, you write a term paper on gender fluidity with that quote alone!

You don't need a Master's degree in Literature to see the foreshadowing. I'm scared that once Yuri admits his love to Victor (or something "else" happens), Victor's gonna split and leave Yuri in worst shape than before, especially since this will be Yuri's final season. I'm sure director Sayo is familiar with 70s and 80s boy love manga where tragic endings were more popular and won't go for the more idealistic "and they lived happily ever after" ending. If that's the case, I hope all the confidence Yuri's gaining will dull the blow.

But, if it completely breaks him then I feel like that would undercut all the good from these early three episodes. What would be really interesting if Yuri became so confident that he ditches Victor in the end since he gender flipped the story with the maiden pursing the guy. At this point I trust Sayo to direct a competent ending that won't be nihilist or tragic just for the sake of a sad, bittersweet story.

And that whistle from Victor when Yuri looked at him?!?! Yeah...I'm on Cloud 9 for the rest of the week~
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Haha, the man service of the show is hilarious.

Yuuri and Yurio's relationship is still pretty tense as they are rivals. I like Yurio's outfit this episode though, very flashy! The ice skating performance was great, really impressed by the movements, style, and music they used with a good degree of realism. However, it seemed like Yurio had some doubts? I'd love to see more of his background story.

Another strong episode. The show has been capitalizing on every little details ranging from the camera angles, commentary, and of course the ice skating performance itself. Yuri's own performance is also very impressive.
Grein Murray

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
I have really enjoyed each episode so far and am looking forward to the next one. I think Victor saw something in Yuri that he wanted to help build on. I hope Yuri's confidence grows under Victor's guidance.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Ah this episode was interesting, to see the character relationship building between Yuuri and Victor. Good to also see Yurio keeping up his work

Also, we got Phichit's introduction from Thailand, which goes to show how diverse the competition can be with all sort of countries in the world involved in the story. In the meantime, Yuri seeks to improve himself. Nice buildup, can't wait for the real competition to begin soon.

Lol, the music piece he named....very fitting.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:59 am Reply with quote
When Victor asked what the music was called, I pretty much knew it straight away.

I was listening to podcast the other day, and heard an interesting comment that there are a bunch of subtle details in the show, like apparently little touches to the ice rink that says something about the family that runs it. There was a moment in the episode I decided to expand my perception of it and I think they are right.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Pretty entertaining episode. It didn't waste much time getting right down to Yuri showing his talent again. I feel like his confidence grew more each time I see him as well.

Minami's pretty amusing, probably the most childish of any character so far introduced (besides the twins). Surprisingly good performance by him and catchy style. I think the competition just got tougher this episode if we see different approaches like what Minami performed. Of course, I think Yuri also improved quite a bit himself.

Lol @ Yurio's reaction in Russia.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6
Interesting performance by Phichit. I love how this series showcases the best of the best in this competition with its diverse cultural style and talent.

Of course there's also Yuri and his performance. I think he went with a slightly more aggressive style but still is able to impress the audience. I like how Yurio made that little grin at the end where it's like he expected it from his rival.

So yeah, I feel like the episode was an apex of the show so far where it presents what competition really is like when it comes to ice skating. Others to keep an eye on are Georgi, Leo, Christopher. Every skater has their own unique personality, talent, and way to convey their message to the audience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3