• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Zaregoto OVA's 2nd Trailer Previews Sangatsu no Phantasia's Theme Song

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheJaceX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
It does bug me that SHAFT is making this series look like Monogatari rather than keeping Take's art style like white fox did with Katanagatari
Derpinat0r

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:32 am Reply with quote
TheJaceX wrote:
It does bug me that SHAFT is making this series look like Monogatari rather than keeping Take's art style like white fox did with Katanagatari

i know what you mean. but from what i see is that it kinda matches the vol 1 art. it looks like take's art changed for every volume. i get what you mean thought i would rather have take's art. but this isn't really bad. i just hope they change it with every vol like take's art(this is just what i think from volume covers)
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
I'm the exact opposite. I think the Monogatari design is much cuter, so I'm all for it. Other then that... Yuuki Aoi is really good at these voices... so adorable...
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I thought the opening melody was the theme song and became very excited at the prospect that it wouldn't be standard idol music, but then I reached the second half of the video. Fortunately, I have enjoyed the two pieces of background music that have been presented so far.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
This looks SOOO Monogatari, it's kind of annoying. I love Monogatari, and I love NisiOisin, and I love SHAFT, but man, I really wanted them to go for a slightly different look with this project. I don't need more Monogatari for a completely different series. Maybe it'll do a better job of differentiating itself than the PV conveys. I hope so.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
This looks SOOO Monogatari, it's kind of annoying. I love Monogatari, and I love NisiOisin, and I love SHAFT, but man, I really wanted them to go for a slightly different look with this project. I don't need more Monogatari for a completely different series. Maybe it'll do a better job of differentiating itself than the PV conveys. I hope so.

Its not Monogatari style its Watanabe, Akio he does the animation and character designs. Its not just shaft either have you watch the world god only knows? The Fruit of Grisaia? In grisaia theres a character that looks 100% like Hitagi even has a box cutter as a weapon. He makes sexy character designs prolly because he was a hentai artist when he started out.

Also I'm sure nisio is happy with the change since he knows it will help up his sells of more novels of his like monogatari did
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Its not Monogatari style its Watanabe, Akio he does the animation and character designs. Its not just shaft either have you watch the world god only knows? The Fruit of Grisaia? In grisaia theres a character that looks 100% like Hitagi even has a box cutter as a weapon. He makes sexy character designs prolly because he was a hentai artist when he started out.

Also I'm sure nisio is happy with the change since he knows it will help up his sells of more novels of his like monogatari did

I'm not referring to the character designs. I am familiar with Akio Watanabe's work, and his designs are fine(though I would have preferred a closer interpretation of Take's work). I'm talking about the cinematography(framing, editing, etc.) specifically. Everything in this PV, directorially, screams Monogatari at the top of its lungs. Which would be great, if it was Monogatari, but it's not. So I'd really like to see something a little different.
I honestly have never really been a huge fan of Yuki Yase's other work either. I was hoping he just needed a chance to prove himself. This is looking like it could go either way.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
jesusalcala11 wrote:
I thought the opening melody was the theme song and became very excited at the prospect that it wouldn't be standard idol music, but then I reached the second half of the video.

Same... Sad

Well, there we are. Shaft head tilts all well and accounted for in one trailer. Looks like it's gonna be a flurry of head tilts each OVA.

And again, as always, I must still voice my disdain at the Watanabe art as opposed to take's art style. truly making this look indistinguishable from Monogatari, which is a vast disappointment for such a great series (and great character designs).
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
It's NisioisiN, so a family resemblance to *nogatari is only natural.

But beyond that, this is soooo Shaft. Yes, they've taken the *nogatari software and tweaked it a little, but beyond that, it's also the natural outgrowth of the visuals in Soul Taker or even Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko (the difference being the color palette ---*nogatari is pinks, reds, and oranges, while the earlier works used black. This series is full of light.

For this viewer, the PV achieved its goal. I'm eagerly looking forward to this, and hoping it means more of the novels will be released in the US.
Kreion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:21 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
GaryNhk wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

I'm not referring to the character designs. I am familiar with Akio Watanabe's work, and his designs are fine(though I would have preferred a closer interpretation of Take's work). I'm talking about the cinematography(framing, editing, etc.) specifically. Everything in this PV, directorially, screams Monogatari at the top of its lungs. Which would be great, if it was Monogatari, but it's not. So I'd really like to see something a little different.
I honestly have never really been a huge fan of Yuki Yase's other work either. I was hoping he just needed a chance to prove himself. This is looking like it could go either way.

Both my friend and I agree with you, both watched it and thought 'oh'. It just looks a bit too similar to monogatari, as in their other series did a fair enoough job at being different themselves whilst keeping Shaft's style (Madoka, Nisekoi, Denpa Onna To) even Sasami-san was still it's own work for the most part. But this reminds me of Mekaku City Actors and of Owarimonogatari, that is to say the worst parts of Shaft's style. MCA was desperately trying to hide the lack of budget with flash and it just didn't work, it's a good example of how bad Bakemono could have been if it'd been handled differently. Owarimonogatari was completely carried by the plot and characters this time around imo, the actual animation was meh for the most part. Compare things like Araragi's confrontation with the samurai armour with his fight with Kanbaru or Blake Hanekawa in Bake. Again, it looked liked it was suffering from mis-direction and Kizu draining resources.

This feels like the director said "if I make it 'Shaft' enough it will be good" when I worry that it's mis-use of the style without necessarily completely understanding the right places to use it? I'm sure the director has some level of skill but even Shinbou manages to fudge up from time to time.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:

Both my friend and I agree with you, both watched it and thought 'oh'. It just looks a bit too similar to monogatari, as in their other series did a fair enoough job at being different themselves whilst keeping Shaft's style (Madoka, Nisekoi, Denpa Onna To) even Sasami-san was still it's own work for the most part. But this reminds me of Mekaku City Actors and of Owarimonogatari, that is to say the worst parts of Shaft's style. MCA was desperately trying to hide the lack of budget with flash and it just didn't work, it's a good example of how bad Bakemono could have been if it'd been handled differently. Owarimonogatari was completely carried by the plot and characters this time around imo, the actual animation was meh for the most part. Compare things like Araragi's confrontation with the samurai armour with his fight with Kanbaru or Blake Hanekawa in Bake. Again, it looked liked it was suffering from mis-direction and Kizu draining resources.

This feels like the director said "if I make it 'Shaft' enough it will be good" when I worry that it's mis-use of the style without necessarily completely understanding the right places to use it? I'm sure the director has some level of skill but even Shinbou manages to fudge up from time to time.

Yeah, exactly. SHAFT has certainly proven that they are more than capable of utilizing different styles across many different series, while still keeping their "signature" look. Koufuku Graffiti is another one that comes to mind, and then of course we have the upcoming 3gatsu which looks like it is going to have some really cool visual direction.
I also agree on Owari. I love Owari, but it is very weak visually, compared to some of the early Monogatari. Now that Kizu's production is likely basically done, hopefully they aren't going to be over-extending themselves too much going forward.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Kreion wrote:

Yeah, exactly. SHAFT has certainly proven that they are more than capable of utilizing different styles across many different series, while still keeping their "signature" look. Koufuku Graffiti is another one that comes to mind, and then of course we have the upcoming 3gatsu which looks like it is going to have some really cool visual direction.
I also agree on Owari. I love Owari, but it is very weak visually, compared to some of the early Monogatari. Now that Kizu's production is likely basically done, hopefully they aren't going to be over-extending themselves too much going forward.

It gets on my nervs when someone saids shaft style is monogatari period. Their style has been done in their old works like soul taker and by other companies as well like silver link "Dusk Maiden of Amnesia" The main point everyone brings up why use the same character designer and animator as monogatari. Well maybe because he works for the company and his other titles solid alot in japan and its market towards those buyers thats just my opinion
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:

It gets on my nervs when someone saids shaft style is monogatari period. Their style has been done in their old works like soul taker and by other companies as well like silver link "Dusk Maiden of Amnesia" The main point everyone brings up why use the same character designer and animator as monogatari. Well maybe because he works for the company and his other titles solid alot in japan and its market towards those buyers thats just my opinion

I'm not sure if you're disagreeing or agreeing. But I agree that SHAFT is a very versatile company, and I don't have to look very hard to prove that. Koufuku Graffiti doesn't look anything like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, neither does The Monogatari Series look anything like Dance in the Vampire Bund, Even Kizumonogatari looks vastly different than anything they've done in the past, including other Monogatari stuff(some minor similarities to Bake, for obvious reasons, aside). Arakawa, Hidamari Sketch, Madoka, all of that stuff has a very distinct look. My only problem with this particular PV is that it isn't giving us anything that doesn't look like it would fit right into the middle of a Monogatari arc.
And I don't believe Akio Watanabe does actually "work" for SHAFT in any semi-permanent capacity. He has been doing work for many other studios over the years.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
GaryNhk wrote:

I'm not sure if you're disagreeing or agreeing. But I agree that SHAFT is a very versatile company, and I don't have to look very hard to prove that. Koufuku Graffiti doesn't look anything like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, neither does The Monogatari Series look anything like Dance in the Vampire Bund, Even Kizumonogatari looks vastly different than anything they've done in the past, including other Monogatari stuff(some minor similarities to Bake, for obvious reasons, aside). Arakawa, Hidamari Sketch, Madoka, all of that stuff has a very distinct look. My only problem with this particular PV is that it isn't giving us anything that doesn't look like it would fit right into the middle of a Monogatari arc.
And I don't believe Akio Watanabe does actually "work" for SHAFT in any semi-permanent capacity. He has been doing work for many other studios over the years.

i watch the pv and theres only 2 things that stand out to me from monogatari and thats one character looks like Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blade and the spinning stairs but i thought that was a call back to revolutionary girl utena stairs climb they redid alot but always looked badass at the time
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1