• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: ToraCon Offers Marriage Consulting for Anime Fans in Akihabara

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
Ok, I had to do a double take because I thought this was referring to RIT's Tora Con which would be kind of weird for them doing marriage consulting in a con. Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:00 am Reply with quote
It sounds like a decent service, but the full support plan is pretty expensive, and I don't understand why they have an exit fee for clients who marry--wouldn't that be a deterrent? If someone drops out of the program claiming to still be single, and marries someone they met through the service later, how can they prove it and collect the fee?

Also, what's up with the "men are expected to have stable employment" rule? Guess the poor Matsuno sextuplets don't qualify. Razz
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
That's so sexist indeed.

But it's nice that Japanese society is allowing itself to move on from its issues through formal means.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:49 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Ok, I had to do a double take because I thought this was referring to RIT's Tora Con which would be kind of weird for them doing marriage consulting in a con. Laughing

Yeah like hey guys my gf and I are having issues
You're saying this at artist alley why
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
They are not talking about marriages to body pillows.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Men are expected to have a stable job.

No sh*t. How the hell could you afford this plan otherwise(rich parents, I guess..)? That's some pretty steep pricing. I guess that's one way to make sure your applicants are super serious about it.
Also agree it's annoying that this is required for men only apparently. What if my ultimate goal is to be a stay at home Dad? Sad
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:19 am Reply with quote
I guess as long as you find love it's worth it?...

How does one prove they're single though?
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
My thought immediately went to the realm of "how is this possible when some anime fans really take the hobby to the extreme?"

Granted, extremism in anime is definitely a minority. I'm sure you guys can imagine some of the scenarios I'm thinking about.
Bandanaman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
Wow that's hella pricey and sexist as fudge. Steady paying job? Yeah, a salaryman isn't really equipped to be a good father/provider given how he'll be working so hard he's gonna Karoshi at any moment IF he meets that requirement.

However, that issue aside, if you wanna understand why Japan (and the Modern World in general really) is facing the problems it is currently facing in regards to romance, population, and societal and moral decay I'd suggest looking up the work of John B. Calhoun and his Mouse Utopia experiments.

If ya wanna see an anime written by someone who almost certainly read that research and decided to write an anime exploring the implications then go watch Texhnolyze. I won't spoil it for anyone but watch it after doing your research on what I mentioned above. Oh yeah, you'll see what I'm getting at. Dude definitely got inspired by the Behavioral Sink Japan and the West are currently trying to deal with.
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Haha, I also clicked this because I thought of the convention. I went last year and was very confused for a moment, because it's a really small con.

But this ToraCon, to me, seems a little expensive but definitely an interesting concept. The little mascot thing is adorable.

The part that confuses me most is the "exit fee" if you do find someone to marry. Why charge a fee for that?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
A 90% marriage rate seems unbelievably high. I guess if you put down that kind of money, you're motivated to find someone. I wonder if they will have any follow up stats on how long these marriages last once they've been around a few years, if they're around a few years.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote
Of course only men must have a stable job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1