Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime About the Woes of the Workplace


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CookieBun



Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 42
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
When it comes to workplace anime, there's also a nice little josei anime called Hataraki Man (2006). It's all about the things that happen as a female worker in a Japanese company.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lactobacillus yogurti



Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 306
Location: In your yogurt.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
While it hasn't been animated, I remember a manga called 5-ji kara 9-ji made that relates fairly well to how being a ESL teacher is, although it does have a lot of off-work drama in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chaccide



Joined: 16 Aug 2016
Posts: 272
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Good God the Anime Expo ad is making my eyes bleed. Turning off all page styles and extras for the next 2 weeks.

It's nice to see some love for Yugo the Negotiator. More people need to watch this. I think Planetes belongs on this list too, even if the jobs don't exist yet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Animegomaniac



Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 2815
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:


It's nice to see some love for Yugo the Negotiator. More people need to watch this. I think Planetes belongs on this list too, even if the jobs don't exist yet


Planetes on a spiritual level at least. On a more practical level there's Hanamaru Gakuen, the misadventures of a newbie Kindergarten teacher.

And then there's Dai Guard which wraps the office comedy around the giant robot genre. Hardly realistic but it's not like a realistic office setting would make for a good show.

Last week's poll went pretty much as I expected. As for my own answer, my example to which I compared the possibilities to was "Which teacher actually earned the bow similar to what Yukari got at the end of Azumanga Daioh?". Not just a card or a bouquet or even heartfelt thanks but acknowledgement of a fine performance and a deep debt owed. And after considering a couple of possibilities... I just went with Yukari.

Look, she helped teach Osaka, give the woman a medal for crying out loud...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 1465
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
I wanna call out the one person who voted for Hibiki from I My Me. Whoever you are, I find your decision funny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jmaeshawn



Joined: 08 Feb 2011
Posts: 156
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
If you're talking about workplace anime, I'm surprised this list didn't include the obvious "Working!" and "New Game!" (though, admittedly, those did have a lot non-work related stories...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
octopodpie
ANN Associate Editor


Joined: 02 May 2011
Posts: 1357
Location: Washington State
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Both those star high school kids, and I specifically wanted to focus on adults in the workplace. Great series, though!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Snakebit1995



Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 678
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Kinda surprised New Game! Didn't crack the list. It's such an honest yet simple portrayal of workplaces and how normal and bland it can be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slashman



Joined: 26 Dec 2015
Posts: 68
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Wagnaria???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wastrel



Joined: 26 Oct 2012
Posts: 240
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched any of these, and I probably never will. I'm sure they're great shows, but I just can't bring myself to come home from work and watch anime about... work.

Maybe in the future, a few years into retirement (assuming I last that long), I'll be able to watch them then.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6449
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I second Hataraki Man and nominate Master Keaton for the List.

As for the new series, I only know three of them, and I'm looking forward to at least two of those! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500



Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 2513
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Both those star high school kids, and I specifically wanted to focus on adults in the workplace. Great series, though!


Working aside, New Game's characters all graduated high school at least, despite some of their character designs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 3226
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Both those star high school kids, and I specifically wanted to focus on adults in the workplace. Great series, though!


Working aside, New Game's characters all graduated high school at least, despite some of their character designs


Yeah, Aoba is stated to be 18, if I remember right, and her friend Nene, who chose to go to University instead of directly into the work-force, I would assume is the same age. Everyone else, who is notable in the show, is in their 20s.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
zrdb



Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 556
Location: Who-me? Am I supposed to be somewhere?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
CookieBun wrote:
When it comes to workplace anime, there's also a nice little josei anime called Hataraki Man (2006). It's all about the things that happen as a female worker in a Japanese company.


What I was gonna say-Hataraki Man should definitely be on the list. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EricJ2



Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 3144
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming the list is for workaday workplace dramas, not one-set Office-style comedies--
To which the everyday radio-station follies of Android Maico 2010 sprang first to mind.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Last week's poll went pretty much as I expected. As for my own answer, my example to which I compared the possibilities to was "Which teacher actually earned the bow similar to what Yukari got at the end of Azumanga Daioh?". Not just a card or a bouquet or even heartfelt thanks but acknowledgement of a fine performance and a deep debt owed. And after considering a couple of possibilities... I just went with Yukari.

Look, she helped teach Osaka, give the woman a medal for crying out loud...


Well, I wouldn't say Yukari is a role model for teaching...
As opposed to Cardcaptor Sakura's Ms. Mizuki, who seems like the dream "nice" teacher, even before we have nagging suspicions she might be more than that.

But yes, even for just current titles on the poll, Koro-sensei is "To Sir, With Tentacles". Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group