• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro Gets U.S. Theatrical Release in Fall

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:19 am Reply with quote
Cool! Although it isn't actually the first time this movie was released in North American theaters. Back when Manga Entertainment was still the license holder, they screened it nationwide for one night in 2007 through their Anime Bento events! I remember seeing it in Atlanta, was a real treat.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Cool! Although it isn't actually the first time this movie was released in North American theaters. Back when Manga Entertainment was still the license holder, they screened it nationwide for one night in 2007 through their Anime Bento events! I remember seeing it in Atlanta, was a real treat.

And I remember trying to make converts in the early days when the Streamline dub played college theaters.
(Remember when we all said "Spielberg is a friend of anime!", when he just said he liked the chase scene, and hadn't really seen any other anime besides the two or three Streamline titles?)

Too bad it couldn't be playing with 4Kids' Ghibli-fest on Fathom screenings, so that newbies can be aware of the "other" Miyazaki that couldn't be Disney's, but never hurts to get a few more new kids to watch it.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:36 am Reply with quote
The article is a bit mistaken...
The US laserdisc release of Cagliostro NEVER happened.

The Streamline/Image Cagliostro LD was announced but the title never got released.
There were any number of Streamline/Image laserdisc releases announced that got cancelled. Cagliostro and Windaria were among them.
The cancellations probably happened because of the announcement of the DVD format in 1995. It just became much more difficult to market and sell anything on laserdisc post-1997, the year DVD was launched in the US. (DVDs actually began being sold in Japan in November 1996.) The LD format was pretty much extinct in the US by the end of 1998. Even in larger cities, most of the record and video chain stores stopped selling LD's by mid-1998... I lived in the one of the early DVD test markets (Chicago) around then and saw this happen.

It has to be strongly emphasized, IN BOLD, that it's the Lupin III manga that is 50 years old. They made a test anime film for Lupin III in the late 1960s (1969?) which is on the first season DVD set that Discotek released BUT the Lupin III anime series did not begin until 1971.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I wonder which dub they'll be using. The family-friendly version of the Animaze/Manga Ent. dub would be the best version for them to screen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1