• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Koikimo (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:39 am Reply with quote

Koikimo (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance

Plot Summary: Ryō Amakusa is a sex-crazed but highly eligible bachelor with a wandering eye for women. Ichika Arima is an ordinary otaku high school girl who is close friends with Ryō's little sister Rio. Ryō and Ichika meet by chance one day, but Ryō's direct approach — asking Ichika for a kiss and a date on the same day they meet — is a complete turn-off for Ichika. Despite Ichika's disgusted reaction (or arguably because of it), Ryō is convinced that she is the one.
----------------------------------

First episode is up on Crunchyroll.

Heh, Ryo has a funny way of talking to Arima especially when he just straight up asks about a kiss.

Arima and Ryo's character chemistry had my attention the most so far. It'll be interesting to see how their relationship will develop from here but the two seems so different.

Animation quality looks alright but nothing too attractive. Ryo's more amusing than I had thought as a character. Ryo's sister is cool. I kinda like her more than Arima tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
Ah, how delightful. A stalker-themed romantic comedy. It should pair well with the bully-themed one later this season.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I didn't hate this first episode. I actually will admit I liked it. I'll be happy to see where this goes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:31 am Reply with quote
I did like that she called him out as creepy, as much as he seemed to have a masochistic reaction to it.

No slut shaming the dude, he is not a lesser person just because he might sleep around. Not sure what to think of the part with the makeup though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. His sister calls him a scumball but I'm thinking a-hole is more on point. And getting violent with a woman is very uncool. Unfortunately, I really like Arima so I'll probably end up sticking with this, hoping with every breath that the plot is leading up to Ryo being thrown head first into an operating wood chipper.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:09 am Reply with quote
He is the worst kind of man. Why? He keeps going over Ichika's boundaries. He stalks her, even when she clearly asked him multiple times to stop, tells him that it bothers her. There's absolutely no respect for what she wants. She gives in, her choice, but I would've ditched both the blonde 'friend' and the guy forever. And ever. And called the police. A person who keeps nagging you even if you don't want to is no fun and it's abusive behavior. I had a date like that once and it was the most uncomfortable ever. He kept wanting to touch and kiss me even though I didn't want to. I said no multiple times, showed him I was angry but it was no use. I was so relieved I could finally go home (but I would've made drama if he didn't let me). My rule number one on a date is that someone respects me, my boundaries en I will respect his.
And that's why this is the worst show of 2021.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:41 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
He is the worst kind of man. Why? He keeps going over Ichika's boundaries. He stalks her, even when she clearly asked him multiple times to stop, tells him that it bothers her. There's absolutely no respect for what she wants. She gives in, her choice, but I would've ditched both the blonde 'friend' and the guy forever. And ever. And called the police. A person who keeps nagging you even if you don't want to is no fun and it's abusive behavior. I had a date like that once and it was the most uncomfortable ever. He kept wanting to touch and kiss me even though I didn't want to. I said no multiple times, showed him I was angry but it was no use. I was so relieved I could finally go home (but I would've made drama if he didn't let me). My rule number one on a date is that someone respects me, my boundaries en I will respect his.
And that's why this is the worst show of 2021.

Ditto. The guy is a parade of every red flag women are warned about. He lovebombs her, stalks her, he's way older than her, he treats other women like objects, and when she tells him to stop he just increases the pressure. And it's all played up like it's a cutesy romantic comedy. It's kinda very yikes.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I guess I never really considered how stalking could be a sweet brother-sister bonding activity. This show is really opening my eyes.

Despite my complaining, I actually like the show quite a bit. The idea of every bad thing happening to a person in a comedic sense really tickles my funny bone. Stockholm syndrome is hilarious when it's not happening to an actual person.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm of two minds on this. (I have only seen the first episode so far)

Any fans of The Dick Van Dyke Show? ...hows that for OT? A different time, but (told in flashbacks) something like this is how Rob wins Laurie.... along with a bunch of singing and dancing. He keeps trying to impress her and declaring his love, declaring that he'll win her over. Those episodes have stuck in my memory. It is both sweet in its way, and creepy. He does not take no for an answer.

A love story about one person's persistence can be sweet. But it's better when the unliked person wins by persistently showing off their good points and contradicting the other's bad first impression and assuring their initial faults are no longer of concern.

I'm not sure Ryō is succeeding at this. He shows his good points occasionally, but this should be a game of occasionally pulling away to let the girl to really contemplate the good. Instead, he lingers after so he leaves her with bad impressions. It is largely the writer's blindness to human nature that allows Ichika to come back to the good points that he does show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Rob Petrie is pretty far removed from Ryou. Where Ryou is suave, Rob is a mass of insecurities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTXTNW_M06g
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:19 pm Reply with quote
That's not the episode I was thinking of. There were multiple flashback episodes and the one I was thinking of featured them as not a couple at all. He won her over somehow during a USO show or something. Found it
Yep, still a bit creepy...he actually doesn't win her over at all in the episode. And apart from not taking "No" for an answer he doesn't take "I hate you" as a hint. As the story goes, he breaks her foot and he wins her over by... visiting her every day, giving her flowers... and candies... and... Sounds at least a bit similar, don't it?

But yes, Ryo is not Rob. As I said above. So far, he mostly leaves her with bad impressions. Rob is genuinely trying to fix a bad first impression, Ryo doesn't even deny his bad behavior.

But now that I've seen the second episode, I see improvements already.
And honestly, they don't portray him as "stalking" her. Every time they've met have been chance encounters or a public event, in the case of the festival. ... where he ends up being creepy. But occasionally helpful.

It's no great romance, not even close- but I don't see it as being as bad as made out.

I like the sister's outlook too. She likes her friend, she likes her brother and sees that her friend would be a good influence on her brother. She is.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Is it any less creepy when the name of the episode is literally called "You're Creepy" and the episode really looks like it is trying to go over the subject of something like an age difference and that it should not matter if the two parties can actually like each other? The episode was really trying to play into the part of him starting to feel bad that maybe he is too old for her and try to avoid her, that I can't say that I was unaffected. The show really in the last several episodes really tried to say that it was aware of an age gap and people are wrong for expecting the worst of him for being interested in a high school student. That Ichika really came to her own conclusions.

But the whole show still has that gross aspect of a grown man going after a teenage girl and relentlessly badgering her for affection. I would probably have things to say about her mother being as supportive to the whole thing. And her friend, Rio, I would think it would be fair to label her as incredibly manipulative, who kept selfishly influencing her friend her friend to be receptive to her grown adult brother so that she could have a better sibling relationship with him. I am not sure if the show ever called out Rio for being far from an unbiased person, who played some part in grooming Ichika into being receptive, with at the end doing something about them just being happy when it looked like indeed Ichika had started to show interest.

I kind of find Ryo's character kind of confusing, like he was a player, but also a gentleman. He is mature and grown up, but also innocent and vulnerable, who is hurting from his dad and just needed the right girl to be devoted to. Not saying that his character would be unrealistic, or more so than other character types, just kind of confused about his point, where all of his bad (creepy) aspects seem okay because he is good looking and kind to Ichika, before also kind to the insert woman character. I also thought that the show was less than nice to the girl he was with before in the first episode with makeup. Is he a gentleman to all, or the kind that would smear a woman's makeup to get rid of her?

Despite everything, I would say that it was mostly effective at keeping attention, it could be cute when it needed to be. It looked okay, and its music even sounded generally nice. My rating is going to be a Decent (6/10), I don't think I really lost my time watching. But I do think that there were some uncomfortable aspects, and the fact it kind of is maybe even effective at making an audience want to forgive that, I think is all the more kind of uncomfortable. Don't creep on people by breaking their boundaries as part of some idea of wearing down someone's defences until they will return feelings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1