• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Clip for Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Shows Ryuk, Light's Meeting

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I like Ryuk actively encouraging Light to use the Death Note. The whole point is that it's Light's self-righteousness that causes him to use the notebook out of some grand design to bring justice to the world, not Ryuk. Ryuk is just there to watch. But I do like the performance of Dafoe in itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
This clip is old..
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't think I like Ryuk actively encouraging Light to use the Death Note. The whole point is that it's Light's self-righteousness that causes him to use the notebook out of some grand design to bring justice to the world, not Ryuk. Ryuk is just there to watch. But I do like the performance of Dafoe in itself.

Got to set up Light to be redeemable in the end somehow. Now they can say Ryuk tempted and coerced him.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember Light being such a b****. Also I kinda wish they would have just used the death note premise without reusing Light. I mean still keep Ryuk but a different wielder of the death note.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, they've killed Kenny!
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Somehow they made Light a bigger edgelord than he is in the Japanese version. That's quite an accomplishment.
catbot158

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Somehow they made Light a bigger edgelord than he is in the Japanese version. That's quite an accomplishment.

Not really, we Americans tend to make things "edgy" very easily. Razz
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Got to set up Light to be redeemable in the end somehow. Now they can say Ryuk tempted and coerced him.

Is that just your assumption of what they are going to try to do? I wouldn't be too surprised if they decide to make Light a good guy, but of all of the changes that they could make, I think that one is one of the only ones that would slightly annoy me. Making Ryuk an active coercer is also a little bit annoying, but I can look passed it.
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Losing faith this adaptation gets what made Death Note "mainstream" in the first place. Bring back my egotistical psychopath please.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:

Dammit, best comment ever.

I actually don't mind this clip. I agree with penguintruth entirely, and think that having Ryuk in the shadows is rather odd since he isn't the monster of a horror movie, per say, but as a film this looks pretty good.
Talniir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
What's wrong with the original anime/movies? This seems like some Michael Bay contrived bs imho. Just one man's opinion who hates remakes of already well established sources that don't rely on special effects and gimmicks as opposed to an interesting story. I guess Battle Royale is next.... oh wait.... Hunger Games.... never mind.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
revolutionotaku wrote:

Dammit, best comment ever.

I actually don't mind this clip. I agree with penguintruth entirely, and think that having Ryuk in the shadows is rather odd since he isn't the monster of a horror movie, per say, but as a film this looks pretty good.

They probably just don't want to show him in the trailers. Not what I'd do, personally, but freaking Dafoe can sell his character on voice alone anyway, so I'm not too worried. If we go more than 20 minutes without seeing his face in the film, then I'll start to be more worried.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
So... Instead of killing criminals, Light kills bullies now. So much for a God of the New World Laughing
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
The performance for Ryuk seems pretty spot on with the anime dub and I'm impressed by that at least but I don't remember Light decapitating anyone this early in the story.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
So... Instead of killing criminals, Light kills bullies now. So much for a God of the New World Laughing

His passion for justice in the first place spawned from witnessing bullying and other injustices in the manga anyway. No harm in starting there. The first murder he committed in the anime/manga wasn't exactly some mass murderer or anything either. It was the first injustice that presented itself. This is no different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3