• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actors Yūichi Nakamura, Tomokazu Sugita Star in Nutritional Snack Ad

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TunaMayo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The video begins with Nakamura as a CalorieMate block saying, "There were eyes in an unexpected place. It's CalorieMate...

The commercial begins with the lines "意外な所で目が合ったね。CalorieMateです." A better translation of the phrase would be something like, "We sure met at an unexpected place. I'm CalorieMate."

As a long time reader of ANN, I felt the need to finally make a forum account.
While questionable translation quality is fairly harmless in an innocuous Interest piece like this, I feel like I've been noticing more of it lately.
At best, it could cause a bit of confusion, but grosser cases of misunderstanding with wide impact have definitely happened in the past.
Many people depend on ANN to overcome the language barrier of Japanese anime news, so I hope more care is taken in the future to accurately deliver.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1