• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sakura Wars Creator Ouji Hiroi Reveals Marriage to 37-Year-Old Dentist

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
-reads through my ANN Newspaper and finds this article-

...Slow news day, eh?
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
It surprised many people because of headlines like this. Brilliant professional journalism, ANN. Rolling Eyes
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Best wishes to the happy couple.

Regarding the announced anime/multi-media project ...
“Japan's real fishing industry is in danger due to decline in fish populations.”

Something seems a bit off, backwards even, about a sentence like that ... quite possibly deliberately written that way, by Jennifer Sherman, because of the angle of approach taken by the creators of "that" universe.

Perhaps it can be turned around and approached from the perspective that human overpopulation is the problem? Fish populations are in danger due to overfishing, pollution and other forms of habitat destruction...

Japan has a declining birth rate but Japan also experienced population explosions over the decades preceding the more recent -slight- decline. Perhaps settling on a lower number of people and working further towards sustainable fisheries -based on that smaller human population- is a better approach than trying to look for ways to increase births -Hiroi confirmed that his wife is not pregnant- or other methods to inflate the number of inhabitants of this -relatively- small island nation. Rather than creating more space-debris and transplanting our planet's underlying problems into another realm.

Curious how whales manage to survive in the envisioned environment of this series where fish -can- no longer exist in the same water.

Curious to see how serious a series about space fisheries can be taken as a method for bringing these problems to the attention of the target audience, curious what its makers hope to achieve by its chosen form of presentation and that brings me to another point of curiosity of equal importance - how is misogyny going to be dealt with under the circumstances as created in "that" universe?

Lots of questions about very interesting and important topics.

Last edited by #Verso.Sciolto on Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to the married couple! Smile I wish Mr. Hiroi-san best of luck with his new media project.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
2016? Bit late with the news aren't you? Razz

And people shouldn't get concerned over a 26 year difference in age, she is an adult in her 30s and found love. That's all that matters.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
Best wishes to them. Congrats~.

I was curious about that game's concept before, but interesting background. It's cool he thought of those factors.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I fail to see what the big deal is either. It's not like the woman is a gold digger or like when Fujishima knocked up a twenty year-old. I mean, the woman is middle-aged and a dentist.

As for Hiroi's new project, it sounds like a whole lot of virtual signaling, unless it's the article author. Climate change and gender roles? Please. China is the biggest contributor to climate change and overfishing. Also, minke whale populations have rebounded to the extent they're pests eating the rest of the fish, hence why Japan wants to whale more for scientific research and export to Norway, where it's culturally a delicacy and Artic populations are lower. As for gender roles, while Japan might have less women in executive boardrooms, it has quite a lot in the general workforce. Would you rather see people with experience running companies, or women so you're not called sexist. Compare Yahoo! in Japan to its counterpart in the West, the latter which was destroyed by a CEO who only got the job for being a woman. Also, it's not unusual for women anywhere to leave work after marriage or childbirth, considering that too much daycare can psychologically affect children. The national government has proposed programs to help mitigate this, but adopting them requires an unbelievable amount red tape, even compared to the United States.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Hiroi and his wife. At least she's not 20's years old while you already have a daughter older than her. That would be awkward.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1