• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Developers and Fan Projects

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Ya know with Sonic Mania in the news and raking in the rave reviews, there is a reason to question how developers go about treating their fan base. Sonic for all intents and purposes, was dying in a developer induced coma. Sega seemed to have totally lost touch with the fans and the IP was suffering. However the fan community was thriving. The bad moves by Sega, fostered greater growth in fan creations. People liked Sonic, but didn't like the games Sega was making.

Then now we have Sonic Mania where we've got Sega working with the fans.

Think back before that, there was Serious Sam. They made headlines by opening their lore to fans to make games based on it. While they didn't have the same success, it was something you didn't really see ever.

I'm part of a team right now behind this: https://igg.me/at/brokenhammer/x/16780722

We're very much doing something similar. Except for a steam/diesel punk airships game. We have a contract with Muse to do it.

In their case, they lost their lore person early on and just never really took it beyond it's PVP limits until lately with their PVE expansion for Guns of Icarus. So us building a "legend" kind of lore and generating some buzz for them has been good.

Makes you think about other projects that could benefit from fan games. Imagine projects like ARK: Survival Evolved? There isn't much lore there, plenty of options for fans to generate stories or new games. I doubt big box devs would want to take advantage of this, but smaller ones looking to encourage their communities would benefit.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
It seems that most developers are OK with fangames. It's mostly the larger publishers that tend to take issue, though Capcom was uncharacteristically chill about Mega Man Maker https://megamanmaker.com/

Personally, I'm all for fangames. While it's not legal to sell them, I'm glad when they get made, especially when they're high quality.
I also like some of the things to come out of the anime scene (Magical Chaser is one; it puts the cast of Doremi, Comet, and a few less-recognizable characters in a fighting game. Because obviously, Doremi and Comet are all about bludgeoning their enemies)

...Though after I write this, I see that you link to an Indiegogo page... Asking for money on a fangame is a big no-no, unless you get explicit permission from the original publisher.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1