• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voltron Legendary Defender Show's Season 4 Trailer Reveals October 13 Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:07 am Reply with quote
Completely Jaden-free! Very Happy
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah! I'm always up for more Voltron! Just finished season 3 a couple days ago. Pidge is best Paladin. No question. Seriously, more shows like this need to be made, rich with good stories and actual three-dimensional characters who aren't stereotypical cookie-cutter people made to spout gross-out jokes or morals.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
I wasn't a big fan of season 3 beyond Lotor and his harem lieutenants. I am actually extremely pissed that Shiro has been kicked off the Black Lion and how freaking easy it was for Keith to go to Black, Lance to Red, and Allura to Blue. In the original Voltron Shiro/Sven was killed/injured really early in the show so he had no development and we didn't care for him. Here Shiro has had tons of character development and went through this huge arc in season 2 and finally won complete control of the Black Lion from spoiler[Zarkon]. Also in this series you don't just jump into a lion and pilot it. You have to form an almost spiritual connection with the lion and it chooses you to be it's paladin. Except now you can just easily change lions.

It was a lazy and stupid way to please old school fans of the original Voltron and it has really soured me on the show. If anyone should have been kicked out of their paladin to make room for Allura it should have been Lance. Lance has had almost zero development in the show and he is the most annoying character. Sure he is the comic relief but so is Hunk. Killing Lance or injuring him so he can no longer pilot the blue lion to make room for Allura works so much better then having three lions switch up paladins. Even though this completely fucks with the shows own mythos.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
This is one of the most confused, awkward shows ever and it feels like the advertising, fans, and writers all want something different from it, creating an awkward mess.

The advertising was pitching this spiritual successor to the Brave Series, right down to the first ad where the combination sequence is literally GaoGaiGar’s.

The association with The Legend of Korra has attracted this bizarre swarm of fujioshi who want everything to be a gay romance, when it makes no sense in the context of the story.

What the show is, especially last season, is Avatar IN SPACE! Where the writers do their damndest to make the lions more important than the combining robot, hand to hand combat is the big highlight, and there’s all of one implied relationship between a man and a woman. Except it can’t even do that right because everyone is so one dimensional and stilted.

I guess my point is, I am so glad Darling in the Franxx is coming soon.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
What the show is, especially last season, is Avatar IN SPACE! Where the writers do their damndest to make the lions more important than the combining robot, hand to hand combat is the big highlight, and there’s all of one implied relationship between a man and a woman. Except it can’t even do that right because everyone is so one dimensional and stilted.

I always heard the show was basically "Super robot show for people who hate super robots, by people who hate super robots". From the sounds of it, sounded like they wanted to make another Avatar series, but got stuck with a Voltron gig instead.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
That’s what it feels like. Like they had to gag and grimace at referencing all these shows. “Eww! I don’t want to make a show like GaoGaiGar! I want everyone to dance around like a Chinese theatre troupe!”

Granted GaoGaiGar is a hundred times the show Legendary Defender will ever be, but I digress. It’s not fun watching people who hate the genre do all they can to ignore the elephant in the room, when I could just watch Knight’s and Magic where the main character adores mecha and the characterization isn’t a jumbled confused mess.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh so this is what Steven Yuen's been doing after Walking Dead spoiler[got rid of him].
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
I am actually extremely pissed that Shiro has been kicked off the Black Lion and how freaking easy it was for Keith to go to Black, Lance to Red, and Allura to Blue.

spoiler[To be fair, Black's shown an attachment to Keith since Season 1. If that's your problem, its been one since the initial premeire. With regards to Lance and Allura, they did utilize Lance's jokester attitude considering he really hasn't gotten an arc to himself unlike Allura, Keith, Hunk or Shiro. While it was rushed, I'd argue they have something planned down the line. Allura had the huge breakdown with regards to Red which Blue probably picked up. She didn't simply want want to be a castle sitter. ]

I do agree with Shiro though. spoiler[Even though I don't think its Shiro. Possibly Shiro-2 considering they explicately use the Japanese word for Clone; he's probably a sleeper agent of some sort, an actual sleeper in fact as he doesn't remember it. ]

The Changing of the Guard was way too rushed, yeah. Should've taken longer than it did IMO, even if it meant more episodes without fights.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Monster Hunter wrote:
I am actually extremely pissed that Shiro has been kicked off the Black Lion and how freaking easy it was for Keith to go to Black, Lance to Red, and Allura to Blue.

spoiler[To be fair, Black's shown an attachment to Keith since Season 1. If that's your problem, its been one since the initial premeire. With regards to Lance and Allura, they did utilize Lance's jokester attitude considering he really hasn't gotten an arc to himself unlike Allura, Keith, Hunk or Shiro. While it was rushed, I'd argue they have something planned down the line. Allura had the huge breakdown with regards to Red which Blue probably picked up. She didn't simply want want to be a castle sitter. ]

I do agree with Shiro though. spoiler[Even though I don't think its Shiro. Possibly Shiro-2 considering they explicately use the Japanese word for Clone; he's probably a sleeper agent of some sort, an actual sleeper in fact as he doesn't remember it. ]

The Changing of the Guard was way too rushed, yeah. Should've taken longer than it did IMO, even if it meant more episodes without fights.

Ya I know that spoiler[Shiro is a clone or something] but it still pisses me off. Now with Lance it literally makes no sense why he got forcibly switched to Red Lion. Because he showed "maturity" by saying it is cool that Keith can pilot the Black Lion so he got "upgraded" to the Red Lion. Is that seriously the explanation you want to go for show? If anything Keith goes to Black, Allura takes red spoiler[especially since her dad was the original Red Lion paladin] and Lance stays Blue. Really everything besides Lotor and his harem and the potential future spoiler[Lion versus Vehicle Voltron fight they seem to be setting up] I found Season 3 to be extremely disappointing and brought down my opinion of the show.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
That’s what it feels like. Like they had to gag and grimace at referencing all these shows. “Eww! I don’t want to make a show like GaoGaiGar! I want everyone to dance around like a Chinese theatre troupe!”

Granted GaoGaiGar is a hundred times the show Legendary Defender will ever be, but I digress. It’s not fun watching people who hate the genre do all they can to ignore the elephant in the room, when I could just watch Knight’s and Magic where the main character adores mecha and the characterization isn’t a jumbled confused mess.

What you mean is that the show has to involve more mecha tropes, or to make the mecha part play a bigger role? Aren´t most anime series in the mecha genre, having mechas for commercial purposes and not to involve them as much in the plot? Because recent series are like that
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:

What you mean is that the show has to involve more mecha tropes, or to make the mecha part play a bigger role? Aren´t most anime series in the mecha genre, having mechas for commercial purposes and not to involve them as much in the plot? Because recent series are like that

I mean actually use the mecha as its major set piece instead of thinking we're impressed with crappy hand to hand fight sequences. Knight's and Magic for instance, uses the mecha as the major set piece while Voltron wants to forget the mecha exists except to show how special the lion bond is. Except when it isn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1