• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Fall 2017

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
While this season didn't have any show that really challenged Action Heroine Cheer Fruits for my personal "anime of the year", I still think it was one of the strongest seasons of 2017 in terms of the sheer number of "watchable" shows. (Not to say that this was a weak year for anime, because it obviously wasn't.)
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Weird to see all this Lustrous love. I'm 5 episodes in and it still fails to get my attention.

Personnally I feel the best show of the season are Just Because, BBB&B and Kino's journey. All 3 went above and beyond what i wanted from them. If I had to pick a best though Just Because! would be it. It's just the perfect SoL. One of the best I saw yet. This and Tsukigakirei are easily my #2 and #3 of the year just behind MHA.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Girls' Last Tour has been a refreshment for many. By sticking to an iyashikei formula rather than a more involved plot, themes that could otherwise have led to bluntness or melodrama are instead covered with gentle and respectful care. My only notable criticism is its streaming arrangement for North American viewers—in my case, I was most lucky to find it on HiDive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost surprised that King's Game didn't sweep the Worst category. Then again, it wouldn't be all that fair to include it if someone avoided it from the start, which is a fair choice to make.

The Best category would be harder for me. Going through ANN's list, I almost forgot how many shows I ended up enjoying a lot this year.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Summarized version:

MMO Junkie - 4 appearances (2 Best)
The Ancient Magus' Bride - 3 (all Best)
Land of the Lustrous - 3 (all Best)
Konohana Kitan - 2
Girls' Last Tour - 1 (Best)
BBB Beyond - 1
Infini-T Force - 1
Inuyashiki - 1
Gintama (current arc) - 1
Just Because! - 1

King's Game was the only repeat on the Worst, with 4 appearances.

Don't think there are (or should be) any big surprises in these results. Glad to see MMO Junkie get attention, as I liked it a lot but couldn't quite put it in my top 5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Girls' Last Tour only gets stronger as the girls' travels continue towards their initial goal.
Highly recommend reading past where this excellent adaption ends.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
This has been a very strong season, like Fall seasons tend to be. I usually follow 10 shows per season, but this season I ended up watching 17.

Best: The Ancient Magus' Bride - This show about magic is becoming a great story about redemption. It seems to get better with every episode, and it has a shot at being the best anime series of 2017.

Runner-up: Girls' Last Tour - Saying that this show is quiet maybe an understatement, but it actually conveys a lot of emotion and thoughts. I really like the main duo, but the best parts for me have been the atmosphere and direction.

Worst: Two Car - This is not a terrible show, but it is not very interesting.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
Koda89

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
My choice for Best would be Konohana Kitan with GARO: Vanishing Line as my very, VERY close Runner-Up.

Worst is definitely King’s Game.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
For me it is probably BBB, Mangus has been almost as good, Gintama is more of a casual arc, Osomatsu has been mostly great, a few segments have let it down.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Best: March Comes in Like Lion Season 2. I'm surprised none of the reviewers mentioned this show as this season has been an absolute mastery of story telling. Easily one of the best of the year.

Runner up: Ancient Magus Bride. Not much to say hear that the others have not. I don't think I've seen such strong world building in I don't know how long. Simply magical (no pun intended.)

Worst: King's Game. No surprise here. It really just is soooo bad.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
As for my FAVORITE anime this season, i'd have to say MMO Junkie as the top, and BBB&B as a close second. I agree with Jacob that it's not quite the same as the first season, but it's such an entertaining ride every week, with some great stand out episodes.

This season was just so good! Besides other good shows i saw like Konohana Kitan and Anime Gataris, there are several shows i just haven't had the time to get to yet, like Garo Vanishing Line (which i'm glad to hear has been good), Land of the Lustrous, Inuyashiki, and Girl's Last Tour
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Gonna have to ask Paul to come in and defend his criticism of Blend S.

Quote:
I often find myself developing a kind of relationship with my streaming review shows, though the type of relationship varies widely from one title to another. In the case of Blend S, I felt like the exasperated parent of a persistently underachieving child. This slice of life comedy was intensely frustrating in its inconsistency, displaying flashes of potential one week only to fall flat on its face seven days later. Its rare but enjoyable high points made it all the more vexing to watch so many episodes settle for being bland and forgettable. I kept hoping that Blend S would get its act together, but it never really did. In some ways, a series that lets its potential go to waste is worse than one that never had any to begin with.

This is vague, obtuse, and meaningless. What was it that made it flash potential? What was it that caused it to fall on its face? When writing critique, it's crucial to provide actual examples otherwise it simply falls flat as critique.

EDIT: Didn't realize Blend S had been covered. Time to do some reading of the individual episodes. Blend S wasn't a great show, but it was a decent show.

Last edited by Megiddo on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Girls' Last Tour/AMB/Land of the Lustrous are all genuinely great shows that are great in very different ways, so I'm not really sure how I'd stack them against one another. They're definitely my favourites of the season, with Just Because! as a runner-up.

Special mention to episode 6 of GLT for being much more unambiguously my favourite single episode of the season, and another to GLT for having what I think is my favourite ED of the year.

Megiddo wrote:
Typically, there had already been previous discussion that you could point to, but Blend S wasn't covered by ANN so there isn't any previous established dialogue.

Blend-S was covered by Paul.

Last edited by 鏡 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Gonna have to ask Paul to come in and defend his criticism of Blend S.

This is vague, obtuse, and meaningless. What was it that made it flash potential? What was it that caused it to fall on its face? When writing critique, it's crucial to provide actual examples otherwise it simply falls flat as critique. Typically, there had already been previous discussion that you could point to, but Blend S wasn't covered by ANN so there isn't any previous established dialogue.

I have to agree. Blend S obviously wasnt the best but it definitely wasnt the worst especially when Kings Game is on the list of shows.

And wasnt Blend S covered in weekly reviews? Unless you only mean the This Week In Anime column.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That said Kings Game was indeed a huge disappointment. To be honest I wasnt expecting too much but I had at least hoped for better. It really had potential but it was wasted and it certainly didn't help that the studio that animated this is more known for making spoiler[Hentai]. I wish they had animated the Kigen story first cos it has a better story and gives better insight to the origins of the game.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Rather than join the praise for The Ancient Magus Bride and Recovery of an MMO Junkie, I want to hand out two other superlatives:

Most Improved: Love Live! Sunshine!! After a first season that was far too reliant on nostalgia for the original Love Live!, the sequel really found its nerve in its second season. As far as I can tell, μ's hasn't been mentioned once, and it's for the better. More importantly, the "save our school" plot, which seemed like a tacked-on nostalgia nugget in season one, has been completely turned on its head by Aqours' inability to repeat μs' miracle, and their bittersweet resignation to the school's imminent closure has let the show experience some new emotions that have never been part of its repertoire. This is probably the best thing the franchise has ever done.

Biggest Disappointment: Wake Up, Girls! New Chapter: OMFG, WTF happened? The studio switch has completely ruined this show. Ordet may have been infamous for Yamakan taking to Twitter to beg for animators, but even he didn't lose an entire episode like Millepensee did. Fans tuning in for episode 7 got to see voice actresses bullshitting to the camera and dining on various dishes, because the studio couldn't get an actual anime episode out. Not that it was a surprise: signs of disaster were already apparent when concert scenes were "animated" via the Ken Burns Effect of panning over a single still picture, and whole scenes were voiced over establishing shots of buildings or the entire city. (See my WUG reviews on Tumblr for the ugly details.)

And it's a shame, because the animation has let down a bold turn in the storytelling. Instead of yet another run of the WUGs as lovable loser, hard luck kids, the series has broadened its scope to show an entire idol industry in transition. The viewer is now responsible for keeping track of six separate idol groups, including one who is a Hatsune Miku-like smartphone app. It kind of comes off like the various competitions and personalities of Yuri On Ice!!… or it would if we weren't constantly pulled out of the action by all the limited animation and the outrageous lengths they've gone to just to avoid animating lip flap, blinks, gestures, and the like.

In a nutshell, you know how Sakuga Blog covered the animation failures of Dynamic Chord? If you're on Twitter and you start typing a #WUG hashtag, one of the popular completions is #WUGNAMIC_CHORD. It's that bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5