• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: A Mountain of Manga Coming to the USA

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Why do all the manga look like they were drawn in the 80's?
fencer_x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Why do all the manga look like they were drawn in the 80's?

Cause it seems like most of them were.

Also wondering who they got to do Itazura na Kiss; I actually typeset several of the first few chapters when I worked for the manga company "Manga Reborn" a few years ago. I wonder if they sold the rights to this company or if they are partnering with them.
Calico

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, they've managed to put at least one of their titles under the wrong author on amazon. Also, they should probably set up a actual website for their company.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how well the translations are, but $4 to $5 is a great price for ebook manga. Personally, I prefer physical manga and ebook light novels, though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Full list? Or is it only this handful for now?
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Mysterion actually sounds interesting.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
If they're allowed to license manga from Shogakukan, then I really hope they eventually license Danchi Tomoo and Mysterious Joker.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
Also wondering who they got to do Itazura na Kiss; I actually typeset several of the first few chapters when I worked for the manga company "Manga Reborn" a few years ago. I wonder if they sold the rights to this company or if they are partnering with them.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking of Manga Reborn while reading the article. They just quietly seemed to close up shop. I supported their Kickstarter years ago.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry I don't even watch South Park and Kenny's superhero alter-ego is all I could think of when the name "Mysterion" came up.
xScar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:19 am Reply with quote
Looking at the sample for Itazura na Kiss, the typesetting looks pretty bad...

They don't do any redraws/clean up, so anything not in a speech bubble is left along with the English translation, but then some of those lines aren't even translated at all.

The typesetting for "She's pissed off" is literally on a panel line when there's plenty of space elsewhere for it.

DMP's release of it wasn't like this, was it?

They also have the author labeled incorrectly on Amazon.

I wish them luck, but trying to jump into a foreign market without any sense of quality control definitely isn't the way to go.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
xScar wrote:

I wish them luck, but trying to jump into a foreign market without any sense of quality control definitely isn't the way to go.

I can only find my copy of "volume 3", but DMP's typesetting looks a lot better.

That said, it's ironic you mention DMP and then get on Media Do about quality, because overall DMC's typesetting is equally bad, and their digital releases (physical ones look fine) are compressed so badly some of the smaller lines are unreadable. From the previews I read, these guys at least have fairly high quality image files.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
Golgo 13 fans may be in interested in that they have many of Saito's other works.
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
xScar wrote:

I can only find my copy of "volume 3", but DMP's typesetting looks a lot better.

That said, it's ironic you mention DMP and then get on Media Do about quality, because overall DMC's typesetting is equally bad, and their digital releases (physical ones look fine) are compressed so badly some of the smaller lines are unreadable. From the previews I read, these guys at least have fairly high quality image files.

Not only the typsetting I just checked and the translation is different too. Once upon a time DMP did have a few volumes of digital full-colored Itazura na Kiss available for purchase. They also finally managed to publish the whole series in print earlier this year. Though, I think whatever copies of the last collection there were are now out of stock and didn’t reach other retailers. DMI aren’t a very good publisher but, they have had a few good ideas.

So this new release of Itazura na Kiss feels like a step back. Not only is it another localization this time it’s in single volumes meaning there will be 23 of them and the copies are also locked up with DRM unlike Digital Manga.

edit: Looking at more of the titles there are some other ones that have been previously published in English too.There are a few volumes by Makoto Tateno up. Volume 2 of Blue Sheep Reverie was censored originally as well as Steal Moon Vol. 1 by DMI. So I wonder if the new digital releases aren't?

@rizuchan
Do you buy DMI's eBooks from another retailer or directly from their online shops? I've managed with the right reading app on my tablet to display DMI's PDFs fine. Though their eBooks are still not as good quality as some put out by other publishers.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
They also finally managed to publish the whole series in print earlier this year. Though, I think whatever copies of the last collection there were are now out of stock and didn’t reach other retailers. DMI aren’t a very good publisher but, they have had a few good ideas.

Ugh, what?! I ordered v11 last year when someone here on the forum mentioned it was available from the Akadot website. 12 was to be the last, right? I guess I missed out on that one. That's a big ol' bummer :(
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
@rizuchan
Do you buy DMI's eBooks from another retailer or directly from their online shops? I've managed with the right reading app on my tablet to display DMI's PDFs fine. Though their eBooks are still not as good quality as some put out by other publishers.

To be fair, I've gotten all my DMP digital editions from Overdrive via Amazon (Or Adobe for the 18+ titles) and haven't really purchased anything, so I can't confirm that the purchased ones are the same for sure... but they use the same Amazon listing as the Kindle versions, so they should be the same, and I have no idea how those versions compare to the original PDFs they sold themselves.

This is a sample from a book I have on hand. Calibre insisted on saving the page as a png but it is the native size and the artifacts are visually identical to the jpegs contained in the epub I downloaded. Most ebook manga is published in a resolution nearly 10x that for Kindle/epub, and those are usually half the size of the cbz versions.

On the bright side, the file sizes are so tiny I can keep a heck of a lot of bad yaoi on my tablet. Too bad most of it isn't worth reading once much less again. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2