Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Land of the Lustrous the Best 3DCG Anime?


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fantaselion



Joined: 22 Dec 2016
Posts: 351
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
First 3DCG anime that I actually like, and its my AOTS. This series deserves all the love.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5344
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Knights of Sidona still takes the cake for me as far as CG anime go
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 3119
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
More than visual flourish, I think what makes it work visually is that the character don't have the awkward stiffness and speed that most other 3DCG anime have. There movement feel a lot more natural. But visually my favorite part is the moon and the way they appear.

Personally I don't really like Phos, her path till now:

1) Told she can't fight and instead given another job
2) Ignore other job and try to fight
3) Fail with consequence to those around her
4) Says she's sorry
5) Try again and fail again, again with consequence to those around her
6) Says she's sorry
7) Told to focus on the task that she can do and specifically told not to do something
8) Immediately do what she was told not to, which has consequence for those around her and herself
9) Says she's sorry
10) Miraculously gain power which means she can finally fight (or at least be useful in a fight situation)
11) Get in a fight, fail to do anything useful, which has consequence for those around her
12) Says she's sorry
13) Told to do something else
14) Doesn't do that
15) Given another job and specifically warned about a danger
16) Immediately fall prey to do the danger, with consequence for those around her
17) Says she's sorry

So sure Phos really want to help, but she can't and is apparently incapable of learning from her mistake. She's not improving so much as there's constantly a steady stream of miracle that saves her/power her up but she's fundamentally still the same shitty person she was at the start.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fantaselion



Joined: 22 Dec 2016
Posts: 351
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
More than visual flourish, I think what makes it work visually is that the character don't have the awkward stiffness and speed that most other 3DCG anime have. There movement feel a lot more natural. But visually my favorite part is the moon and the way they appear.

Personally I don't really like Phos, her path till now:

1) Told she can't fight and instead given another job
2) Ignore other job and try to fight
3) Fail with consequence to those around her
4) Says she's sorry
5) Try again and fail again, again with consequence to those around her
6) Says she's sorry
7) Told to focus on the task that she can do and specifically told not to do something
8) Immediately do what she was told not to, which has consequence for those around her and herself
9) Says she's sorry
10) Miraculously gain power which means she can finally fight (or at least be useful in a fight situation)
11) Get in a fight, fail to do anything useful, which has consequence for those around her
12) Says she's sorry
13) Told to do something else
14) Doesn't do that
15) Given another job and specifically warned about a danger
16) Immediately fall prey to do the danger, with consequence for those around her
17) Says she's sorry

So sure Phos really want to help, but she can't and is apparently incapable of learning from her mistake. She's not improving so much as there's constantly a steady stream of miracle that saves her/power her up but she's fundamentally still the same shitty person she was at the start.


I question how much you've been paying attention, As Phos has obviously changed since episode 1. Sure the change is slow, but she is actually trying now rather than how she was in episode 1 where she tried to push everything onto everyone else.

She wouldn't of even tried to stay up during winter if she was the same person she was in episode 1. Plus, her saying she is sorry is just cause she IS sorry. Should she not apologize? Plus she is really week. She's trying her best as the gem with the least battle experience and a really weak hardness. Obviously the Artic gem (hard name to remember) has a lower hardness but at the same time, much more battle experience. Also whats wrong with trying again and again only to fail? Should she not try anymore? IMO that makes you a shittier person. Also her not following what she has been told is partly due to the fact she doesn't really think the others care for her that much, and the fact that she wants to help even if it means breaking the rules.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Niello



Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 274
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
More than visual flourish, I think what makes it work visually is that the character don't have the awkward stiffness and speed that most other 3DCG anime have. There movement feel a lot more natural. But visually my favorite part is the moon and the way they appear.

Personally I don't really like Phos, her path till now:

1) Told she can't fight and instead given another job
2) Ignore other job and try to fight
3) Fail with consequence to those around her
4) Says she's sorry
5) Try again and fail again, again with consequence to those around her
6) Says she's sorry
7) Told to focus on the task that she can do and specifically told not to do something
8) Immediately do what she was told not to, which has consequence for those around her and herself
9) Says she's sorry
10) Miraculously gain power which means she can finally fight (or at least be useful in a fight situation)
11) Get in a fight, fail to do anything useful, which has consequence for those around her
12) Says she's sorry
13) Told to do something else
14) Doesn't do that
15) Given another job and specifically warned about a danger
16) Immediately fall prey to do the danger, with consequence for those around her
17) Says she's sorry

So sure Phos really want to help, but she can't and is apparently incapable of learning from her mistake. She's not improving so much as there's constantly a steady stream of miracle that saves her/power her up but she's fundamentally still the same shitty person she was at the start.


Are we watching the same show? Because that's not how most of it went down. Seems to me like you're just fabricating parts of the show. There was not a single time so far Phos was told to fight and not a single time he did aside from the latest episode where he tried to save Antarct. Seems rather obvious you haven't paid much attention to what's going on. So the compains you have about the character mostly applies to what you think went on and not what actually happened.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joshua Zarate



Joined: 12 Jan 2017
Posts: 2056
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
^^Towards the two people above me, yeah, meiam has shown to display this type of behavior numerous times before in these threads (not paying attention in the shows they watch), and it happened again here, so I would suggest just taking their statements with some salt going forward in case you haven’t done so already.

Land of the Lustrous is the best 3DCG anime that I’ve watched up to this point and it’s one of my favorites of the season. This show is special and I hope that the series can become enough of a success to warrant more anime out of it. It deserves it and I think that this show is a good example to say that CG in anime as a whole is definitely improving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 5291
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Knights of Sidona still takes the cake for me as far as CG anime go


That's the thing. Sidonia is a pretty decent show, but somewhere in the back of my mind I thought that could have been a 2D animated show with 3DCG mechs, and the Sidonia anime wouldn't have been too different of an experience. The same goes for the other 3DCG anime shows especially ones found in Netflix. Land of the Lustrous is probably the first time I felt the 3DCG medium actually complemented visually and became integral to the show. It would have been tough in 2D animation to maintain the glossy hair look, and show off the weight and density of the gems especially when they get shattered into many pieces.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Siing



Joined: 15 Dec 2006
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Nice spoiler-free thumbnail you've chosen there Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Animechic420



Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 1655
Location: A Cave Filled With Riches
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I see people still haven't caught on to the meaning of Genderless. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 3119
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Niello wrote:

Are we watching the same show? Because that's not how most of it went down. Seems to me like you're just fabricating parts of the show. There was not a single time so far Phos was told to fight and not a single time he did aside from the latest episode where he tried to save Antarct. Seems rather obvious you haven't paid much attention to what's going on. So the compains you have about the character mostly applies to what you think went on and not what actually happened.


Maybe don't accuse people of not paying attention when you clearly didn't pay attention to my post... I never said Phos was ever told to fight, so I'm not sure why you're even mentioning that...

Also, Phos can still help in a fight even if she's not actively fighting, she can go and call reinforcement (which she never does, again and again and again).

@Fantaselion. Phos always wanted to fight, that's what she wanted since episode 1. The problem is not that she wanted to push that on someone else, the problem is that she's useless in a fight, was given a more appropriate task and then tried to push that task on someone else so she could fight. That hasn't changed.

Same with staying up, no one asked her to stay up, she just decided to do that (after being told not to), which end up causing trouble for Antartica (he was killed while trying to help Phos get out of her cube and he was only so far from the temple/sensei because they needed to fix Phos, because she got hurt putting her hand in the ice immediately after she was told to not do that). Trying is fine, failing is fine, apologising is fine. Constantly doing the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do and causing problem to people around you every time is not fine, even if you apologise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fantaselion



Joined: 22 Dec 2016
Posts: 351
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Niello wrote:

Are we watching the same show? Because that's not how most of it went down. Seems to me like you're just fabricating parts of the show. There was not a single time so far Phos was told to fight and not a single time he did aside from the latest episode where he tried to save Antarct. Seems rather obvious you haven't paid much attention to what's going on. So the compains you have about the character mostly applies to what you think went on and not what actually happened.


Maybe don't accuse people of not paying attention when you clearly didn't pay attention to my post... I never said Phos was ever told to fight, so I'm not sure why you're even mentioning that...

Also, Phos can still help in a fight even if she's not actively fighting, she can go and call reinforcement (which she never does, again and again and again).

@Fantaselion. Phos always wanted to fight, that's what she wanted since episode 1. The problem is not that she wanted to push that on someone else, the problem is that she's useless in a fight, was given a more appropriate task and then tried to push that task on someone else so she could fight. That hasn't changed.

Same with staying up, no one asked her to stay up, she just decided to do that (after being told not to), which end up causing trouble for Antartica (he was killed while trying to help Phos get out of her cube and he was only so far from the temple/sensei because they needed to fix Phos, because she got hurt putting her hand in the ice immediately after she was told to not do that). Trying is fine, failing is fine, apologising is fine. Constantly doing the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do and causing problem to people around you every time is not fine, even if you apologise.


Again, it seems your not paying attention. Phos got fired from that encyclopedia job remember? So no, that has changed, as she no longer has that job. Yes, she didn't go to bed like she was told to, but she ASKED KONGO if she could stay up, and he said yes, and for the hand thing, she was about to do it, but in the end she decided not to do it and ended up slipping on the ice and falling in the water. So no, she didn't do it intentionally (was about to but didn't) Also, how was the cube thing her fault? Was she supposed to be like "no, don't use gold for my arms cause it will encase me in a cube!!!" like seriously, that's her fault? Also, And the only times she has done something different than what she was told, was

1: ignore the encyclopedia job and worry about Cinibar
2: Go into the ocean even after Kongo-Sensei said not to

Also, that time when she could of called for reinforcements when the twins got captured, this was her first battle, she froze up. Yes she should of called for reinforcements, but its understandable on your "FIRST FIGHT" to freeze up during such a situation. And the fact she didn't get in trouble was the reason she couldn't fall asleep in the first place.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
64BitRatchet



Joined: 12 Jan 2017
Posts: 317
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
It is my second favorite, just behind Knights of Sidonia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hazelll



Joined: 13 Oct 2016
Posts: 39
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
WTF is with ANN and spoilery thumbnails?? Seriously they always do this have a bit of common sense for God's sake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500
Subscriber



Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3765
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Actually there is more of a connection between Love Live and Lustrous than just being one of the previous entries of this column. The director was also the director of the first two seasons of Love Live. Which would explain this show's sight gag game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terrible90sDub



Joined: 14 Jul 2017
Posts: 168
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't necessarily consider this image too much of a spoiler. Without context, if someone had seen some episodes not but all of them, then the gems break apart all the time and it normally just means a trip to glue-doctor. It probably definitely looks like death to someone who has never seen it / doesn't know they're immortal, though.

Had it been an image of what happens after that screenshot, I think that would've been far more of a spoiler... I'm not going to deny there are less potentially spoiler-prone images to use, but in general, if I see one of them breaking, I don't assume it equals what happened at the end of this most recent episode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group