• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is The Purpose Of Recap Episodes?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Recap episodes occasionally do some good, unless the viewer has a super memory. I felt the ones in the Monogatari franchise and at the beginning of My Hero Academia season 2 were well-done and appropriately timed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
The Erased and Saga of Tanya the evil recaps were so painful to see and worse since we had to wait an extra week. Tanya was understandable at least since it's a new studio but there was no excuse for Erased.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Wolf's Rain.... four clip episodes... in a row... I believe that's a state beyond "troubled". On its first DVD run, they were all on one disc and I just skipped it entirely.

Chobits has three clip shows sprinkled throughout its run and they were released on volume "seven of six". I remember thinking "I heard there were clip shows but I didn't see any. Oh, there's a volume 7; I wonder what's on it as the series was already finished?"

I wasn't as lucky that time.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A recap episode, generally, means they finally didn't make it. Some insurmountable challenge has come up, someone has dropped the ball, something just couldn't happen on time. The episode wasn't going to be done on time, and missed its broadcast. It's a white flag of surrender; a face-plant.

Which is why recaps constituted almost a third of the last-minute episodes Macross had to fill in at the last minute, when 23 episodes became 36.
Maybe not as many recap episodes as Family Ties, but still.

One example of the "Last minute throw-together" is were the three recap episodes we saw one season of Urusei Yatsura, two of them in a row, near the end of the season before Mamoru Oshii left the series, in eps. #93, 103 and 104. One recap near the end of the coeur break might be put down to a rushed schedule, but three in one season, and something's clearly stuck up the works.

Also popular with little-kid shows with less viewer attention-span or regular viewership, and need occasional reminders of the more complicated plot setups and who our marketable characters are, as Sailor Moon and Samurai Pizza Cats were particular recap offenders.
Michael Andersson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah recaps are usaually a huge pain do deal with, but through all my experiences i think the Re:Creator recap episode was one of the best ones i've seen. Yes it was a recap, but all those spoiler[comedic approaches, combined with new content and just really well made, how it makes kinda fun of the industry as a whole was great]
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Michael Andersson wrote:
Yeah recaps are usaually a huge pain do deal with, but through all my experiences i think the Re:Creator recap episode was one of the best ones i've seen. Yes it was a recap, but all those spoiler[comedic approaches, combined with new content and just really well made how it makes kinda fun of the industry as a whole]

Re:Creators recap was one of the rare (if not only) example of it being planned since the beginning tho.
aifhak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
There are a couple exceptions like already mentioned.
The recap episodes in Monogatari's 2nd season are an example and while I myself would argue they were a massive waste of time and noone should ever watch them, they handled it as good as possible.

For the ones not being the biggest fans of the series:

The 2nd series covered 6 volumes of the source materal over the span of a 2cour season. Or was supposed to. MAL has it as 26 episodes so I'll take it as that.
The issue with that was that one of the vols was, from the point of the rests of the series, playing way in the future and would kind of spoil parts of the season if done in that order.
In the end they decided to drop that one vol out of the broadcast and do it separately later on.
That freed up 4 whole episodes and since they had 5 vols to cover they included a recap episode between each "arc" and they did indeed deliver the last arc that was cut out very quickly.
They just didn't want to have it in the season at the time it was supposed to be.

All in all not that messy of a situation and I'd even argue that there was some sense behind doing it that way for the TV adaptation but it clearly wasn't planned that way when they bought the TV slot. They didn't run into time issues or anything like that, just decided to deliver the series a bit differently.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Wolf's Rain.... four clip episodes... in a row... I believe that's a state beyond "troubled". On its first DVD run, they were all on one disc and I just skipped it entirely.

I don't know if that's the same situation or not. Gundam Wing did the same thing. It was right before the ending so it almost seemed intentional on the one hand, on the other, they weren't done very well, so it seemed like there had to be budget issues or something.

I guess my question is, if recap episodes are so damaging to the reputation of the show, why not just show a rerun or something else? US TV shows do this all the time when there are production issues without a huge stink, although TV shows in the US hardly have reliable schedules to begin with. It just seems like creating a recap is a waste of time and money, if it's not saving face at all. Usually there's got to be a voice over or something to keep it coherent, so there's gotta be a handful of staff that have to be pulled away from their hectic schedules to cobble it together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I guess my question is, if recap episodes are so damaging to the reputation of the show, why not just show a rerun or something else? US TV shows do this all the time when there are production issues without a huge stink, although TV shows in the US hardly have reliable schedules to begin with. It just seems like creating a recap is a waste of time and money, if it's not saving face at all. Usually there's got to be a voice over or something to keep it coherent, so there's gotta be a handful of staff that have to be pulled away from their hectic schedules to cobble it together.

It's not just "face" pride, it's that shows are usually under contract to provide networks with a number of shows per season, vis the Macross example.
If you're contracted for 23 episodes and your overworked studio can only deliver 20, that's a breach of contract. The show must go on, and it's better to throw three more bits of filler together to deliver something and keep the network happy, than get into any troubles that might persuade the network to drop the series.

Reruns are usually substituted by the network at the last minute, for ex. if a show offends recent headlines and can't be aired that week even if it DID finish production.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Wolf's Rain is the worst contender for this. I remember hearing something about production issues? Would explain why the real ending was done after several OVAs... which should've been part of the main tv series

I wonder what did happen?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
There's troubled productions that resort to recap episodes… and then there's Wake Up, Girls! New Chapter, where episode 7 resorted to 30 minutes of the live voice actresses just bullshitting in studio and eating tasty dishes on camera. What a disaster.

Crunchyroll didn't even bother to (or wasn't allowed to?) show it, just saying in a sidebar "Wake Up, Girls! New Chapter will take a break on November 20 before resuming the following week with Episode #8. Episode #7 does not affect the continuity of the story."

Last edited by invalidname on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Nana's recap episodes were pretty neat. They coincided with the end of each story climax & had three of the more minor characters recap events & briefly muse on what it might mean going forward. Served as a nice break from the drama & a useful tone buffer between the rather heavy & serious way each arc ended, & the lighter & more comedic way they tended to start. Their timing makes me pretty sure they were planned, or they at least seemed that way as I remember them.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
There are some pretty depressing disasters, indeed. And like Justin, my heart also wrenches whenever I see a production resort to one.
Just Because this season was one example. A real tragedy of a production, overall. Too much ambition can be blamed in that case, but it's still respectable. Hopefully they are able to bring everything together in the end.
How many recaps(recap-esque episodes) do we have this season? Is it just Wake Up, Girls and Just Because? I've seen about 10 shows so far, but those are the only two I've caught with them. It's not a good sign to see multiple last-resort recaps in a single season, regardless.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
How many recaps(recap-esque episodes) do we have this season? Is it just Wake Up, Girls and Just Because? I've seen about 10 shows so far, but those are the only two I've caught with them. It's not a good sign to see multiple last-resort recaps in a single season, regardless.

Just those two that I know of... and, IIRC, three re-cap or re-capesque eps last season. (Not counting re:Creators, which was a planned break.) If memory serves, I only recall hearing of 1 or so per season prior to that.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I don't know if that's the same situation or not. Gundam Wing did the same thing. It was right before the ending so it almost seemed intentional on the one hand, on the other, they weren't done very well, so it seemed like there had to be budget issues or something.

They weren't near the ending of the series but a bit past the half way point (Episodes 27 and 28 out of 49) And the reason is those episodes were to suppose to be about the origins of the five Gundam pilots but they couldn't fit them in due to disputes with the writers at the time and had no choice but to going with clip shows while the planned backstories got turned into a manga, Episode Zero.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5