• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sequels Dominate Most Anticipated Winter 2018 Anime Poll

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Yay! The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. is #1! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
i never know till the anime comes out, even if its based on something else. never know what descisions there gonna make. but for winter, the new basilisk, devilman, and b:the beggining i have my eye on. maybe pop team epic. i dont normally get into anime comedy but i hear people talking about it like its something different.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Cant say any of those 20 strike me, since summer all I've been watching is one piece and dragonball and that looks like continuing. Cardcaptor might be a possibility though I am 20 years older than when that I first watched that.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Humm CardCaptor is definitely my most anticipated show. I don't know how much they'll follow the original anime since so much of it was original. Devilman would be the 2nd followed by FRANKXX. Devilman just looks so much hype with that super stylish animation. FRANKXX I just love the style and it's 2D mechs.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Not really excited about anything, but I am most curious about the Trigger one.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptors, Dearhmarch and Evergarden would be my top 3 but there are others.

Lemonchest wrote:
Not really excited about anything, but I am most curious about the Trigger one.

Trigger is coming out with an anime next season? Which one?

WatcherZer wrote:
Cant say any of those 20 strike me, since summer all I've been watching is one piece and dragonball and that looks like continuing. Cardcaptor might be a possibility though I am 20 years older than when that I first watched that.

This whole post just screams "Trux Fortuita" Laughing
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
It is so interesting that two original shows made it onto the anticipated list: ‘a place further than the universe’ and ‘darling in the franxx’. ‘Darling’ is a given because it’s trigger x a-1 and they’re pretty well known studios, but ‘further than the universe’? It has no prior source material, but its key selling points must then be director Ishizuka Atsuko (Hanayamata, No Game no Life, Pet Girl of Sakurasou) and the all-star cast of Kana Hanazawa, Saori Hayami, Inori Minase, and Yuka Iguchi. I shouldn’t be surprised at this, but still...

Happy to see the sequels and established franchises are looking healthy.

Of course Violet Evergarden and Idolish7 is among my anticipated anime (I’ve been looking forward to them for over a year now!)

Also glad to see two other of my anticiapted shows are flying completely under the radar...less bs to deal with later.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised sequels dominate this list; the last 3 years have been full of sequels (and spin offs). Violet Evergarden is my most anticipated Winter 2018 show.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Humm CardCaptor is definitely my most anticipated show. I don't know how much they'll follow the original anime since so much of it was original.

Probably not very much, since Clear Card's story begins with spoiler[Tomoyo "ruining the mood"] Wink of the original manga's epilogue scene.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
While Violet Evergarden is undoubtedly my most anticipated show of 2018, given Netflix is holding it until spring outside Japan, I'll have to settle for other shows for winter. I'll go with Fate/Shaft, Overlord II, and Seven Deadly Sins second (full) season.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:

You're missing out on a TON of fantastic anime. Dragon Ball Super is honestly very generic/subpar. I can't say much about One Piece's current stuff. But you're definitely missing out on a lot of gems.

zrnzle500 wrote:
While Violet Evergarden is undoubtedly my most anticipated show of 2018, given Netflix is holding it until spring outside Japan, I'll have to settle for other shows for winter. I'll go with Fate/Shaft, Overlord II, and Seven Deadly Sins second (full) season.
I'm cancelling Netflix to protest their BS. Gonna enjoy Violet Evergarden, though.

Why did you say "(full) season"? "real second season" would've been more accurate. Netflix/CR/Funi tend to be stupid on their websites when it comes to season splitting.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
^Personally speaking, I'd rather wait three months to watch Violet Evergarden on my TV via Netflix. Pirate streaming sites don't generally offer visual quality as good as Netflix or other legit streaming sites in my experience, and I'd rather not invest the time find some high quality fansubs and jury rig it so I can watch it on my TV when waiting a few months will solve that issue. Also in my current line of work, I think it would be wise to avoid any activity which could be construed as improperly using IT systems.

As to seasons for Seven Deadly Sins, I wouldn't say it is a matter of arbitrary season splitting as Signs of Holy War aired on TV weekly separately from the first season. I'm not sure what you would call it other than a season, as OVAs refer to things that are meant to be straight to home video. I don't think it is unreasonable for Netflix (and other sites for other shows in similar situations) to use season when referring to different portions of multi season series, as sets of episodes would be a bit of an awkward way to refer to both TV seasons and OVAs, and making a separate section for OVAs would be extra work that would be entirely unnecessary for most of their catalog, even among their anime.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
^ Monogatari just calls the 4~6 episodes they air covering an arc outside a regular season just the name of the arc.

Anyway, guess my most anticipated one is Pop Team Epic. KyoAni, Trigger and Shaft anime are a must-watch for me any season, and I'm glad this is gonna have all of them.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I will probably start watching about half the shows on that list but the ones I am most looking forward to are Fate/Extra, Overlord II, and Death March to The Parallel World Rhapsody.

zrnzle500 wrote:
Personally speaking, I'd rather wait three months to watch Violet Evergarden on my TV via Netflix.
Agreed, I get that people don't like the delay but there was a time when anime did not get a legal release for 2 years or more. Also Netflix includes dubs with their new anime and it is part of their standard package so I think they are a pretty good value.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Personally speaking, I'd rather wait three months to watch Violet Evergarden on my TV via Netflix.
Agreed, I get that people don't like the delay but there was a time when anime did not get a legal release for 2 years or more. Also Netflix includes dubs with their new anime and it is part of their standard package so I think they are a pretty good value.

When Netflix gets shows with wider appeal (like Seven Deadly Sins) I have no trouble, but going after a show from otaku favorite KyoAni seems wrongheaded to me. Same thing with the Fate show they got this year. Since when is the typical Netflix watcher so into otaku-targeted anime? I do get the allure of Netflix for anime producers, but I hope this does not lead to a huge backlash from seasoned anime fans outside Japan.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2