• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Criticism of reviewers & Mod responses

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
For clarification, this thread was started by me to stop derailing a different thread. This post was originally taken from this thread. --willag

JacobC wrote:
Blood- wrote:
willag wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Let me guess, without reading the piece, that Anne gave Your Name a B+ because she does not give many A's.

The post above was deleted. We don't need to start derailing this thread as well. Anyone else who wants to make similar snarky comments will just have their words deleted also.

Great, so now ANN is practising censorship to protect its reviewers. It should be clear that complaining about a reviewer's review is not a "derailing" of a thread... the entire point of a discussion thread is to discuss the reviewer's work. Hey, why not simply disable all commentary about a reviewer's work? Oh wait, I guess positive comments would still be okay?

It literally has no relevance to the editorial in question. It's an off-topic personal attack intended to kick off soapboxing about something unrelated. So yeah, that's against forum rules.

I grant that the deleted remark has its origin in a different thread but it cites an opinion held by a number of posters at ANN that reflects on Anne as a REVIEWER not as a person. And willag's comment that we don't need to derail this thread AS WELL indicates that ANN staff view criticism of Anne's reviews of TAMB in the discussion thread related to those reviews as a "derailment." Which it is if you take the position that anything other than praise for a reviewer's work is "derailing" a thread.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Here's a thread that we can complain or discuss to our heart's content without derailing other threads.

EDIT: First, you're right, this thread wasn't well-thought out on my part, and if you'd prefer having this be just a PM discussion between us, then I'll delete this thread and make it so. I was mainly trying to avoid having the debate continue in the original thread.

Also, you're right, my AS WELL implies that I thought that the discussion on TAMB was derailing. After a certain point it was soapboxing because it was the same users discussing the same points, and it was taking up a majority of the thread. We were getting reports on the discussion, so we stepped in and requested it to stop.

Now, as a user, I will be honest and state that I found the discussion asinine (which I've stayed away from sharing my opinions up until now because I am a mod and, as such, I try to be careful), because no two reviewers are going to review or rate the same way. Every user has their own nitpicks and things that bother them, has a different tolerance for different things, or may be at different points of the "weary cynicism" that Answerman talked about last week. Additionally, the rating scales themselves might not be the same. I may rate Very Good shows as B's, while someone else may rate Very Good shows as A's. Some complaints lobbied against Anne felt more like people making a beef over the fact that the show they considered Anime Of The Season was not getting comparative ratings (Ep # of XX show got an A, while Anne only gave Ep # of TAMB a B+, and TAMB was clearly the better one this week), and then taking it out on Anne for having certain nitpicks or being so discerning. I understand the feeling of validation and wanting shows you like to be rated well, and I also don't think a person's wrong for disagreeing with the reviewer and sharing constructive criticisms and thoughts on why they disagree. But when people kept harping on it to the point of making digs at the reviewer and not letting go of the subject, then the thread started devolving from a reasonable discussion into a whiny soapbox. People have different opinions and rate things differently. It's a feature on a site that has multiple reviewers. Move on. You aren't owed a reviewer who shares your opinion and will rate it accordingly in comparison to others. Passive-aggressive jabs are immature, rude, and quickly derail threads.

I like you, Blood-, and I think you're a fun guy to goof around with. But as a general user, I feel that you need to learn to let go of an argument and stop making passive-aggressive jabs at other users. And as a mod, I'm obligated to stop rude remarks and derailing threads. We allow leeway to a certain point and have been giving you multiple warnings over the matter, and you're on the cusp of a 3-month moderation. I started this thread, and if you wish to continue holding a discussion with me over it, then feel free to PM me, and I won't hold it against you in regards to the latest warning you've been given since I was the one to reach out to you. But you do need to hold off on derailing other threads on ANN and making rude remarks to others.

And this goes for anyone else derailing and making passive-aggressive jabs. The mods are lenient, but only to a certain point.

Last edited by Crisha on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:13 pm; edited 7 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I am confused. If posters have criticisms about a reviewer's work do we have to register it here as opposed to the relevant review discussion thread? If a poster thinks a reviewer is making the same kind of mistake in Review B that he or she did in Review A are they not allowed to reference it in in the discussion thread for Review B? They have to do it here? I have to say I am not a fan of what I perceive as ANN's new policy to shunt some criticism of its reviewers to a thread in a little used forum.

Also, it would be nice if it was made clear right in the OP that I did not start this thread and add some other context. I'm not sure how a reader who has no background in how this thread came about will understand it. Also not sure why poster criticism of reviewers has to share a thread with criticism over mods. Two separate issues.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I am confused. If posters have criticisms about a reviewer's work do we have to register it here as opposed to the relevant review discussion thread? If a poster thinks a reviewer is making the same kind of mistake in Review B that he or she did in Review A are they not allowed to reference it in in the discussion thread for Review B? They have to do it here? I have to say I am not a fan of what I perceive as ANN's new policy to shunt some criticism of its reviewers to a thread in a little used forum.

There is a vast difference between questioning a review and the opinions of the reviewer as it pertains to the review, and using the review as a base to launch personal jabs at the reviewer themselves personally. I'm sorry but you Blood, like several others, quite often fall into the latter and not the former. You cry foul when others attack you personally and not simply your opinions, but yet when you do the same thing towards reviewers or normal users and are then called out on it you, and others, act as if it's the totalitarian facist regime simply trying to silence you. I'm sorry but it's not a 1 way street where you can complain about being insulted personally but then get away with showing the same behavior yourself towards others. There is also quite a vast difference between CIVILLY debating and question a review and being rude, insulting, overly snarky, or passive aggressive. Lately there has been a sharp rise in the latter and not the former. They may be reviewers and should expect a certain level of constructive criticisms of their reviews (as reviews are subjective person to person) by fans who disagree with them, but they should not have to deal with the rude personal attacks and shitty insulting comments that are there to simply be mean spirited and piss all over them as people.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
See my response above.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Yes, this thread has been poor thought out on a number of levels. If my request to have some sort of contextual information isn't going to be put in ORIGINAL POST (ideally I would prefer my post be the second one in the thread just so it is CRYSTAL CLEAR that I didn't start it this thread nor put it in this forum.

I have zero interest in carrying on this conversation. It is very clear to me that there is a movement afoot in ANN to protect ANN reviewers from their own incompetence and I'll just have to learn to color within those lines.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I did originally start this thread and the 2nd post on here was my original post. Since you posted your original post at a date/time stamp before mine, yours automatically jumped to the top of the thread, which I forgot was going to happen. Looking back, just quoting your post in my post would have been better. I'm sorry. I've edited the first post in the thread to clarify.

But, yeah, it doesn't sound like this thread is really going to go anywhere constructive, so we might as well shut down conversation. I'll leave the thread open for now, but will probably close it tomorrow if nothing more is said.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
@ willag - thank you for putting the clarification in the OP, I appreciate it. It's for the benefit of anyone who might stumble on this thread and not understand what's going on.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I have zero interest in carrying on this conversation. It is very clear to me that there is a movement afoot in ANN to protect ANN reviewers from their own incompetence and I'll just have to learn to color within those lines.

What's very clear is like normal you are deflecting and seem to expect carte blanche to treat anyone however you want here with zero consequences. Of course the reviewers are incompetent because you disagree with their opinions but anytime someone says anything like that towards you they're being rude and insulting you when you're just posting your "opinion". The rules never apply to you except when you want them to, and anytime we enforce them regarding your posts you often go into one of your conspiracy theories where the staff at ANN is just out to silence you, and others, like the facist dictators we are. You complain about how things are run here but the truth is plain and simple you often act like a bully and brow beat others into submission with your opinions, passive aggressiveness, and shitty attitudes. The honest truth is we get reports about your behavior more than 95% of anyone else that gets reported here. There are plenty of users who have been flat out perma-banned for far less then what you get away with month after month. Yet no matter what you say or do you seem to think you have never done anything wrong and it's all on ANN or others.

You're right, this conversation is going to go nowhere so long as you continue to keep your head firmly in the sand and toss the blame onto everyone else. The next time you're rude and insulting to a user, reviewer, or violate the rules you're going back on moderation. End of story. You've had more than enough warnings on this. The mods as a whole have already discussed this prior to this thread's creation as well.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
What???

I get reported only 95% more than any other poster???

Damn, I'm losing my edge.

In any case, yes, I am going to be making a concerted effort going forward to follow the rules.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
And I think this thread has reached it's end so I'll lock it. If you'd prefer it to be deleted, Blood-, send me a PM and I'll do so. Thanks.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1