• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Girl Site (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:10 am Reply with quote

Magical Girl Site (TV)

Genres: action, drama, horror, magic, psychological, thriller
Themes: death, magical girl, survival game, tragedy, violence

Plot Summary: Aya Asagiri is a young girl who has fallen victim to bullies at her school. Looking for a way to escape her troubles, she looks to the Internet for distraction, when a mysterious website called “Magical Girl Site” appears. Simply viewing the page is all it takes to hurtle Aya headlong into the deadly world of the Magical Girl Apocalypse. There, it's fight or die, against a seemingly endless array of savagely adorable, frilly-skirted killing machines, each armed with magical powers and an unquenchable thirst for blood and chaos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I have seen more than a fair share of the dark magical girl anime, but holy shit is this dark. Most of the darkness so far is not even of a magical nature, but the nature of people who are pretty much monsters. So bad that it was practically frustrating to see the main character have a realistic reaction from accidentally killing two of them, because you pretty much want to reach across the screen and do something about it. It puts a standout part of Vivid Strike to shame, and that you kind of want the same thing to happen by going Rinne. If March Comes in Like a Lion, was already hard enough?

And there is mature stuff in general in here. There is a particular moment she talks about the damage done to her body having side effects like stopping her period, periods are almost never brought up in anime. The ED also had a surprising amount of sperm. This is not actually unrelated to something like magical girls, as I have said before magical girls are often thematically linked to puberty.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:36 am Reply with quote
Well that got dark....

It's a dark magical girl type of show but I'm not really sold on it yet in particular with the ruthless bullying and animal killing. (well, they didn't show it but it obviously happened off screen). Aya's brother is also incredibly disturbing to watch and I have a feeling the show will show more of his disturbing personality as he breaks down more and more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:10 am Reply with quote
All i got from watching this was....

Discount Mami
Discount Homura
Discount Gantz
Discount Madoka Magica

I mean if you're looking for over the top depressing/angst things this might be up your alley. Otherwise i'm not even sure it's worth it being an irony watch.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
As usual, a Japanese story goes way over the line in dramatizing being bullied. As soon as I saw the kitten I was like, "well, I know how this is going to turn out." However, I have to say that knowing at least two a-holes got clobbered by a train was crudely satisfying. Also, seems like the ringleader chick now has a second mouth. Right now the brother's abuse is just physical, but who wants to be bet it's going to turn sexual at some point?

Anyway, I'll continue watching because I do like seeing deserving a-holes die.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
There's a HUGE difference between dark magical girl series, and edgy brutality pandering for teenagers. The former has at least some sort of character and world building, that meets ominous atmosphere, and things got slowly, but meaningfully dark, and whenever there's an instance of (usually mild) brutality, it has impact. The latter starts up with some ridiculous, twisted brutality, and operates merely with shock values and more brutality, so much that there's no time for characters to really feel like human beings, there will be no surprise, and the brutal scenes will lose their impact. Not to mention when the writer is bad at subtlety, it will just have permanently overexaggerated faces all over the plain, basically telling us "see, this is villain #1, #2 and #3, they are just horrible people because they are", and that's it, you can't even be bothered to come up with any scenerio as to how they ended up that way; there will be no payoff even if you did, because they really are just bitches because they are.
So take a guess which category this series falls into, and stop comparing it to titles from the other category, they don't deserve it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

That brother's face was really something.

The third member of the bullying trio seems to be losing it, and thinking that she may have been least worst of the bunch, she was not the one pushing a rape or cutting someone up, I wonder if she will see herself as a being targeted, and even could end up as a magical girl too with trying to get revenge.

Only just realised part way through the episode that that the bleeding thing is almost too on point for the puberty angle. The reveal of tempest, and the sperm imagery of the ED, makes me think along the lines of some theme like the standing magical girl would be the sperm to fertilise the new world, or something,
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:41 am Reply with quote
Second episode was much less over the top with respect to cruelty which was a relief. I'm liking this and very curious about how things are going to play out.
echen_taichi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
best anime this season
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
GOOD LORD.

This makes MGRP look like Card Captor Sakura

Nope.

I can't do this. It's so cruel that it's sickening....also normal human children don't talk like that

I'm out.

Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
It's so cruel that it's sickening....

Did you make it past the first episode? I felt the same way at that point but was just intrigued enough to keep going, and at least so far it has turned out to be far more entertaining than I expected, although it still seems to have some trouble deciding whether it wants to parody post-Madoka edgy magical girl shows, or fiercely compete for last place among them.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
It's so cruel that it's sickening....

Did you make it past the first episode?

I did not..........but I seriously never want to see her brother again. :/

I got my dose of this kind of series from Magical Girl Raising Project which I did really like actually. I loved its creativity and I genuinely cared about the cast (#cryingforthreedaysforsouchanandtopspeed) I don't think this one will do anything else better.

On top of the unpleasantness, like a large chunk of the ANN reviewers here, I'm angry at the writers for not respecting my intelligence in a series clearly not aimed at young children. I felt the same way reading Future Diary; MSS feels like Future Diary....with girls using magical weapons.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

So, did how horrible the brother was, spoiler[validate him being anally raped] in the last episode? He was not just the worst, but I also really don't feel comfortable with how this series keeps piling on horrible things, with spoiler[rape as a punishment], going back to actually the first episode. I guess it kind of ended happy, in that the main character have found some happiness, even if the villains seem pretty bent on going even harder now, and the conflicts have never really been in a fair favour to the good guys,

The show did make some positive steps, that made it not just feel like a nihilistic sad fest, which I think really came in with the scarred neck girl going from hating Aya with extreme passion for everything she stood for, to deciding to give her actual good nature a go. I think it was even a kind of touching ending, where she said that she used to be unfortunate, an unfortunate soul the administrator would say, but can find happiness in the now. And this was somehow a mortal sin to the big villains. So I think it works that this show shovelled on so many horrible thing, but probably wants one to try and find happiness despite that. Which is kind of a positive. Well it clearly did not end everything, and I would actually be a bit surprised for there to be more, because going through a lot of this show was rough, and confronting. Not an easy watch, so I can't imagine there will be a lot of people clambering for more.

It did not really do anything amazing, at that. I think it tried to be pretty at times, and maybe be joyful, but all of that felt undone with just the presence of crazy faces from the likes of the brother. Or the kind of crazy, but also nice, idol girl who's power was panties, and got it especially rough. Although it did feel like the death was impactful, and worth a bit of credit, it coming after an episode that had sort of made me lower my guard a bit. I will be giving it a rating of So-so (5/10), not because it did not really catch my attention, but at times it really could be a bit much, which is unfortunate for other parts that I don't think were too bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1