• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Discotek's Cyborg 009 Anime License Includes God's War Finale

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Bonus thanks goes out for Justin Sevakis on helping give this overlooked show some of its deserved love.
Giant_Robo_28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:44 am Reply with quote
I picked up the disc that Sony put out years ago and I never thought that the entire series would ever see the light of day here in the U.S. It's truly a wonderful thing that Discotek is putting this out and I really hope that the release does well for them!
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote
I always wonder how on earth they even uncover some of this stuff. But it's also part of why Discotek continues to be my favorite anime licensing company of all time!
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:27 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping Discotek will license the Devilman OVAs (plus Amon: Darkside of the Devilman) considering the popularity of Devilman Crybaby (and maybe include a new dub).
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:38 am Reply with quote
After all these years I can finally complete it in English. I really like the voice cast, even though the dub was pretty inaccurate at times.
I just wonder if they'll include the 5.1 audio mix(at least Japanese audio) or if they plan to not include it to cram more episodes onto a disc.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:25 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I always wonder how on earth they even uncover some of this stuff. But it's also part of why Discotek continues to be my favorite anime licensing company of all time!

This show is very well-known in other parts of the world outside of Japan.
In Japan, it's at least semi-iconish and seems to gets a revival at least once every twenty years.

There have been at least 3 animated TV adaptations of Cyborg 009 and additionally 6-7 movies and at least one crossover series with Devilman. The Devilman crossover (which I've seen; it's decent) did run on Netflix within the last 2 years but nobody's licensed it for home video release in North America that I'm aware of.

It's not as if it's completely obscure -- it just didn't do that well ratings-wise when they aired the last Cyborg 009 TV series on Cartoon Network which is why they didn't bother finishing the full run of the show. Ditto for why Sony yanked the home video release after releasing only two DVDs (edited network version and unedited).

There were only 2 full-series DVD releases of the last series (2001). One of those was the Japanese release. The other series DVD release was maybe in Australia, New Zealand, or Italy? I forget where but the show wasn't widely licensed outside of Japan for home video.

There's also a spin-off shows, 009-1, but that really only uses the character designs from Cyborg 009. ADV Films did the original release and Funimation later re-licensed it when ADV went into bankruptcy. The characters themselves are completely different people in that series. The anime of 009-1 is actually pretty decent. The live-action 009-1 movie IS a piece of junk!
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:35 am Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:
Here's hoping Discotek will license the Devilman OVAs (plus Amon: Darkside of the Devilman) considering the popularity of Devilman Crybaby (and maybe include a new dub).

Amon is Aniplex so unfortunately that won't be happening.

Levonr wrote:
I just wonder if they'll include the 5.1 audio mix(at least Japanese audio) or if they plan to not include it to cram more episodes onto a disc.

https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/956332292904951808

^It wasn't linked in the article but according to this, there might be a problem with including the 5.1 mix.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:00 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Levonr wrote:

https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/956332292904951808

^It wasn't linked in the article but according to this, there might be a problem with including the 5.1 mix.

Well that's a shame. Its not ideal at all but its possible to create a 5.1 English using the Japanese 5.1 from the DVDs. I have tried it as an experiment actually. With Audacity using a plug-in Channel Mixer I'd take the English stereo and mix the left and right channels to mono for the center channel and replace the Japanese center with that. Then I take the stereo English and create four mono tracks for the front left/right & back left/right with the fronts using a widen present and another present & slight delay for the back channels. LFE can be kept with the original Japanese. Then I'd listen to the entire audio with the center on mute and any time I heard Japanese dialog in the surround channels I'd label them for editing later. Once done I go back and cut out the Japanese vocals in any surrounds and insert my newly created English surrounds.
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
I NEED THOSE DVDS!! Anime cry
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
@GeorgeC
I don't think you quite understood what I meant by "find some of this stuff". I'm not asking how they know the series existed, hell, I even watched a good chunk of it back on Toonami myself. For a company well known for releasing tons of out of print old school stuff, with a bunch of old-taku working there, I have no question as to how they learned of the series existence, I'd assume they were there (also, google exists, so, y'know, that's all info I knew myself years ago).

I'm asking how on earth they uncovered the English dub for the last 4 episodes, considering it never aired anywhere and was never released on DVD or online (any one of those options, some fan could have recorded it) and, of course, Bandai anime went under ages ago. I'm just wondering how they uncovered the dubbed episodes for those last 4. Did Bandai somehow hold onto them? Did Cartoon Network hold onto them? Did someone else different altogether hold onto them? How did Discotek find out who had them in the first place? etc etc. That's the sort of stuff I'd be interested in knowing about

@Levonr
According to Justin Sevaki's Twitter account, it sounds like some of the 5.1 audio mixes might be lost or too damaged to use, but I think it sounds like they intend to use all of the ones that they can in the final product.
Quote:
Cyborg 009 update: the materials are a giant mess and we’re still doing major triage. This is one of the biggest production challenges we’ve ever faced. I still think we can make a good product but some 5.1 mixes may be lost.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
anime,including God's War,was broadcast in it's entirety by Cartoon Network on Latin America with option to watch the english dub(in fact,I have the entire anime with my local dub taped from those airings)
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Lizzie_B wrote:

Amon is Aniplex so unfortunately that won't be happening.

Dang
WhiteOrochi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Not to sound impatient, but is there any news of a date yet? Too soon to tell? Just curious.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:04 am Reply with quote
Discotek is certainly further cementing its reputation as a go-to licensor for licensing or license rescuing many anime titles that never got a complete release here.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Yesssssss!

Giant_Robo_28 wrote:
I picked up the disc that Sony put out years ago and I never thought that the entire series would ever see the light of day here in the U.S. It's truly a wonderful thing that Discotek is putting this out and I really hope that the release does well for them!

Same!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2