• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do I Need To Check All My Anime Blu-Rays For Errors?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:15 am Reply with quote
I'd check my DVDs all the time, especially visually. Mail order, and discs rattling in Amaray cases are a recipe for scratches, and if I see a scratch on the disc, I'd play it immediately to that point to see if it glitches (Sony DVD players are cool in that regard, as they have an indicator as to where abouts on the disc the laser is reading).

With Blu-rays, it's just a question of, does it play? If it does, put it on the to watch pile. That scratchproof coating is a godsend.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
I used to check my anime discs when they arrived; I didn't watch the whole thing but just checked for playing errors and audio. I eventually stopped doing that because bad discs are not that common. What I try to do is buy my BD's and DVD's when I plan to revisit the show on disc.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Or some bad chemicals were used to produce your disc and the layers within it are becoming un-laminated.

This has been an issue with CD's and with some British DVD's that we bought. With the DVD's, because it was Amazon and an acknowledged issue by the BBC, we got a second set of the collection ( Torchwood ) and was able to combine good disks from the two sets to get a complete copy. The rest went back to Amazon.

So far only one set of Blu-Ray disks has had an issue, they were supposed to be a semi-transparent "Smoke" color but were actually too light and only one of our players could read them and that only after dozens of retries. Those were returned and a replacement set had the correct "Smoke" color with no read issues.

Mark Gosdin
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
I don’t know if anyone else had this problem-I haven’t found anyone who's ever mentioned it, but I also haven’t looked too hard-but when I was watching Yu Yu Hakusho, I made it to season four, popped in one of the DVDs (don’t remember which one) and started watching. I made it through the first episode . . . and the first episode started playing again. No matter how far I tried to skip ahead, it would just loop that one episode again and again. So I went to the menu and tried selecting the next episode manually. It looked like it worked, until I realized it was STILL just the first episode. It did that with every episode on there—no matter which one I picked, it would only play that one episode. There was no skipping or freezing. Did anyone have the same problem?
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
I check to make sure the discs load. I've had a few over the past decade+ that either wouldn't or loaded into a blank screen. It doesn't take a ton of time, and it at least gives me a bit of piece of mind.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
(Very) fondly remembers late-era Bandai Ent. discs post-replicator change…

I won't watch through the entire disc, but I'll skip through to various points. If something's wrong, it'll usually crop up. Thankfully, it's a very rare occurrence in comparison to purchases at-large, but if I just put money into something like that, better safe than sorry…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SejinPK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And you don't need to sit there and watch the entire disc against your will to check for them. You can just as easily just pop the disc in your computer, explore the contents of the disc, find the VIDEO_TS folder (or BDMV folder on a Blu-ray), and copy the entire thing to your hard drive. The disc will be encrypted, so the resulting folder won't be useful for anything (you can trash it immediately), but if the file copy goes fine, your disc has no read errors.

THANK YOU FOR THIS. I do the same thing as the person who asked the question. It's a HUGE pain, so knowing this is a godsend. Now I'll just need to get an external blu-ray drive to be able to do this. And if discs don't have any physical damage and they copy just fine, I'll have peace of mind with much less headache. Very Happy

I do have a couple questions, though. First, Justin only mentioned copying the video to check for any issues, but I assume the same thing holds true for the audio?

Second, IIRC I've heard that some blu-ray drives can increase the drive speed or some other metric when reading (and writing?--I want to say the ability to increase speed or whatever it was had to do with the drive's ability to write to discs, but that it also could affect reading them) blu-ray discs, and that this may cause discs to play just fine in the drive, but that any issues may be still picked up by a normal Blu-ray playing device (Blu-ray players, PS3/4, etc.). Is that actually true? If it is, would using a Blu-ray drive that only reads Blu-rays, but can't write to them, nip that potential pitfall in the bud?
Frenzie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:
that this may cause discs to play just fine in the drive, but that any issues may be still picked up by a normal Blu-ray playing device (Blu-ray players, PS3/4, etc.). Is that actually true? If it is, would using a Blu-ray drive that only reads Blu-rays, but can't write to them, nip that potential pitfall in the bud?

I would expect the opposite? I'd expect playing it back slowly (i.e., at 1x) to easier and less error-prone than doing it at, say, 4x.

On the other hand, I suppose everything would need to be higher quality to support higher speeds, with all that entails…
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Chances are very, very good that you are wasting your time.

Chances are even better that the poster is an old 90's fan, from back when anime and DVD fans were paranoid of big corporate releases of "their" titles, and saw disk errors, deliberate mistranslations, and other abuses of power intentional and unintentional under every bush. Yep, I'm old enough to remember those days too, although I didn't get in on the "Fan class-action lawsuits" against MGM and Netflix. Laughing

Of course, back then, the entire industry was still getting the hang of how to make or release DVD's (I just had to donate my old Pioneer Ranma and Tenchi disks that were still in CD jewel cases)--And it didn't help that the smaller anime companies were the first to jump onto making the move to DVD, without 100% knowing how like Pioneer's big technically-established laserdisc background.
You might have looked for errors in on a CPM disk in 1999, but think you're pretty well out of the woods today, and even more so on Blu-ray. I wouldn't say Funimation isn't "lazy" as a company, but I at least trust Blu sets I buy from them.
Dranio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I check mine. especially after the encoding mistake on the complete set for Bodacious Space Pirates. Towards the end, when they're on the pirates base place repairing the ship, the one guys says "Let's send it to our lady on the outside", english dub only, it jumps up in volume suddenly, something the part sets do not do. I checked on multiple players with multiple hdmi cords and multiple tvs both new and older, happens every time. even a separate complete set I got 5 or 6 months later had the same exact issue in the same exact spot, needless to say even though part 2 is 1080i instead of 1080p I kept the part sets because that is frickin' annoying. I check every disc regardless now for those types of issues. I doubt sentai bothered to check on the error for that set after I let them know, but I'm not buying a 3rd set to find out. their elfen lied BD set episode 9 doesn't play properly on the PS3 (tried on multiple models original and slim) their divergence eve and angelic layer dvd sets have audio issues (fluctuating volume). so yes, I check EVERY disc when I get it.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
One cannot forget Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Blu-ray release. The glitchest non-professional release of recent years. What a dumpster fire of a release.
loveliver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
When I experience a new disc at all, now I make sure it loads, and doesn't skip (especially on the main feature). If it is NOT one that I'm the MOST interested in, I usually skip chapter by chapter to look for anything that might harm the disc, and it does work most of the time. I have experiences of certain rentals from a Family Video store that the disc skips in some way or form (I was trying to get started on Attack on Titan, by the way, and it was probably cause they put it in the same type of cases for all discs, either Blu-ray or DVD, and some TV series have discs stacked, which can scratch discs easily, even if you're careful). I also have experiences of certain pawn shops that the disc skips in some way or form (I found some classic anime DVDs, including Evangelion: Death & Rebirth, but that disc is double-sided, and one of the sides were scratched so hard, it's really unplayable). I have my ways of collecting anime (a real risk-taker, being a little poor myself), but I understand why anime collectors get their stuff from the retailer itself, to ensure the disc works ALL THE WAY. I might've gave unnecessary information, but I'm giving you the facts.
loveliver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
If I did have a problem with an anime release that I had problem with, that is the Discotek DVD release of IGPX.
Unnecessary information: Chapter breaks are in some inappropriate places, including some episodes having an unnecessary break, even though it's in the same part of the episode. Doesn't make a professional-looking disc in my eyes.
Necessary information: Audio problems between the Main Feature and the menu. The menu is WAY TOO LOUD across every single one of the 10 discs, and the main feature has different points of volume between audio tracks, which you can definitely see for yourself on the Production I.G. Cut discs.
This is the only Discotek release I have thus far. Is there any other Discotek release that have technical problems?
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I've never done this, but I do remember a time when replacement disc(s) for a show I'd bought just showed up in my mailbox with no advance warning, and with a letter explaining that the disc(s?) in question were a replacement for ones I've already gotten that had a production error of some sort. I didn't even notice myself, or ask for a replacement, but they showed up anyway. How often does THAT happen? ^^;;

I think it was for Daily Lives of High School Boys, but I'm not entirely sure.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:
First, Justin only mentioned copying the video to check for any issues, but I assume the same thing holds true for the audio?

Second, IIRC I've heard that some blu-ray drives can increase the drive speed or some other metric when reading (and writing?--I want to say the ability to increase speed or whatever it was had to do with the drive's ability to write to discs, but that it also could affect reading them) blu-ray discs, and that this may cause discs to play just fine in the drive, but that any issues may be still picked up by a normal Blu-ray playing device (Blu-ray players, PS3/4, etc.). Is that actually true? If it is, would using a Blu-ray drive that only reads Blu-rays, but can't write to them, nip that potential pitfall in the bud?

The VIDEO_TS folder contains everything on a DVD, Video, Audio, subtitled and menus. The AUDIO_TS folder is almost always empty. It’s for DVD Audio format, which is fairly obscure.

PC optical drive speeds don’t affect readability. If there’s data that the drive is struggling to read, it’ll slow down to try again. That said, there are some discs that some drives struggle with but others play fine, but that’s mostly an issue with recordable discs, not replicated ones. You don’t need a burner to do what I suggested.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3