Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - A Place Further Than the Universe and Back Again


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
paulchaested



Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 148
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I do hope CR eventually sublicenses the distribution rights to Funi. Definitely worth purchasing for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ultimatehaki



Joined: 27 Oct 2012
Posts: 1090
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Nick on this one. Awkwardly carrying their poop back would have been the crowning jewel of jokes in an already hilarious show! My AOTS and definitely a contender for AOTY. The rest of the year has high bar to climb.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FireChick



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 1991
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Yes! These guys managed to put into words everything I love about this show! It's optimistic, but not excessively, diabetes-inducingly so, and teenagers can be petty and mean. Sometimes conflicts don't get resolved just by being nice and forgiving them easily. Someone gets it! Yes! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
athimmel



Joined: 23 Nov 2017
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
This was a great review that matched up pretty darn well with what I felt about this show. My only complaint is that the episodes felt like they flew by! (Who knew that 24 minutes could feel like 10? With some shows, 24 feels like an hour!)

I really hope this isn't the last we see of this group. Even though the final episode is a nearly perfect conclusion, all it did was made me want to see them go on a new adventure, or to revisit the base and help with the construction on the observatory.

I didn't know what I expected when I saw the preliminary information about this series, but I certainly didn't expect the at times joyful, at times sob-inducing experience I received.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 5292
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
It's amazing how Yorimoi jump started the Winter season off on a really strong foot and ends quite spectacularly. These are the kind of girls you would love to hang out with for crazy, non-boring adventures (even if it involves getting seasick). It's also amazing how fully realized each of them are beyond their first appearance ESPECIALLY Shirase.

If this becomes a success, I can see Atsuko Ishizuka getting lots more work in the future (or more No Game No Life).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aquasakura



Joined: 01 Jan 2014
Posts: 700
Location: Chesterfield, Virginia, U.S.A
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A Place Further Than the Universe, this season's hidden gem


I would be disappointed that it's a hidden gem, but when I think about it it's not so bad. Since it's not a popular show it means people won't hype it to proportions which would lead to other people to have high expectations for it then they should only to be disappointed when the anime does not reach their exaggerated expectations leading them to say things like "this show is not as great others make it out to be" or something like that. Not to mention not having the problem with people who latch on to a show simply because it's popular instead of enjoying it for it's own merits.

Even so, I feel it would be nice if this anime gets some recognition at least.

Quote:
If she doesn't at least get nominated for Best Girl next year, we'll know the Anime Awards are an illuminati scam.


That would be nice if she does get nominated, but I also like the other three as well. It's been kind of difficult for me to decide which of the four female characters I like. Mari and Yuzuki were relatable to me, but Hinata was a nice combination of being bubbly but mature that I don't recall seeing often. You are right in that she does stand out from the other three (which the series seems to imply given one of the promotional art). However, Shirase did had a strong character arc, and she did had a charm to her when ever she gets enthusiastic, determined, or sharing her passion with Mari (especially given that smile of hers. Anime smile). They are all likable in their won way.

As for the awards itself given from how they approach best female (as well as male character) last year I am guessing it's most likely going to be either Mari, Shirase, or both given that Mari is the protagonist and Shirase prominence in the story. That is unless they change how the approach this category.

Quote:
Apparently the characters' interactions were inspired by director Atsuko Ishizuka's own group of friends in high school, and it really shows.


That explains a lot. One of the aspects I love about this anime is the relationship between the four female characters and how close they become at the end. I think it's been a while since I have seen this level of intimacy. I feel there this close to being like a family to each other.

Quote:
Shirase finally making up with her second mom is just super sweet.


Quote:
They don't call her Gin and Takako's daughter for nothin'.


Funny as I was sensing that Gin and Shirase had this mother/daughter relationship despite how they acted on the surface. Gin is like a second mom to Shirase. Anime smile

Quote:
Mari not only inspired Megu to break out of her own restraints and do something crazy, she also taught her how to dunk on friends like the best of em.


That ending was funny in that it could be interpreted in Megu getting retribution on Mari for leaving her for three months. "You left me for three months now I am doing the same to you." Ha! Ha! Very Happy Megu really did dunk on her in the end. Anime smile But seriously while I was a bit sad that the two are far apart once again it was nice to see Megu stepping into her own self, and she did by doing the same thing Mari did by traveling to a cold place (except this one is up north).

Quote:
my issue is that for all the show's dedication to realism and all the effort they put into making the girls' journey feel grounded, their departure didn't feature a single mention of the fact that by law when you leave Antarctica, you have to take your poop with you.


Okay...I didn't know that either. 0_0 Can we just assume they did that in off-screen land and leave it at that?

- - -

This was a fantastic show, and I would love to re-watch it again someday when it gets release here on DVD/Blue-ray (I hope it does get a domestic release, but I think high likely it will). In fact earlier from reading this I felt like I want to watch this anime again a bit, but I other shows to watch/rewatch at the moment. Besides I think it's good to take a break from an anime for a while before returning back to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
HeeroTX



Joined: 15 Jul 2002
Posts: 2046
Location: Austin, TX
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Quote:
my issue is that for all the show's dedication to realism and all the effort they put into making the girls' journey feel grounded, their departure didn't feature a single mention of the fact that by law when you leave Antarctica, you have to take your poop with you.


Okay...I didn't know that either. 0_0 Can we just assume they did that in off-screen land and leave it at that?

I neither knew, nor cared about that factoid. But now that I've been motivated to look it up:

According to Antarctic law, all active research stations must remove all their trash from the environment. Human sewage and food waste are permitted to be discharged into the sea, though many stations have installed biological treatment plants and incinerators to deal with these waste products in a more environmentally-friendly way.
https://hmdecozine.com/2017/02/04/waste_in_antarctica/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Tuor_of_Gondolin



Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Posts: 3484
Location: Bellevue, WA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
According to Antarctic law, all active research stations must remove all their trash from the environment. Human sewage and food waste are permitted to be discharged into the sea, though many stations have installed biological treatment plants and incinerators to deal with these waste products in a more environmentally-friendly way.
https://hmdecozine.com/2017/02/04/waste_in_antarctica/

Dang, Heero. The guy only knows 3 things, and you had to destroy one of them. That's harsh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 3121
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
According to Antarctic law, all active research stations must remove all their trash from the environment. Human sewage and food waste are permitted to be discharged into the sea, though many stations have installed biological treatment plants and incinerators to deal with these waste products in a more environmentally-friendly way.
https://hmdecozine.com/2017/02/04/waste_in_antarctica/

Dang, Heero. The guy only knows 3 things, and you had to destroy one of them. That's harsh.


They would still have to carry it with them on the helicopter to discharge them from the boat if they didn't have an incinerator on site.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
srlracing



Joined: 28 Feb 2013
Posts: 81
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
According to Antarctic law, all active research stations must remove all their trash from the environment. Human sewage and food waste are permitted to be discharged into the sea, though many stations have installed biological treatment plants and incinerators to deal with these waste products in a more environmentally-friendly way.
https://hmdecozine.com/2017/02/04/waste_in_antarctica/

Dang, Heero. The guy only knows 3 things, and you had to destroy one of them. That's harsh.


They would still have to carry it with them on the helicopter to discharge them from the boat if they didn't have an incinerator on site.

At the end of episode 10 is a scene with the girls minus Yuzu cleaning out the incinerator and Shirase says that they take it back after a year on the expedition.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aquasakura



Joined: 01 Jan 2014
Posts: 700
Location: Chesterfield, Virginia, U.S.A
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
athimmel wrote:

I really hope this isn't the last we see of this group. Even though the final episode is a nearly perfect conclusion, all it did was made me want to see them go on a new adventure, or to revisit the base and help with the construction on the observatory.


Most likely this would be it for this series as there is no real need for there to be a sequel given that the story wrapped everything perfectly and the characters that mattered have been explored and developed enough to not leave any loose ends. This is at least concerning story telling from a technical perspective (for a lack of better term).

With that said I know what you mean as to be honest a part of me would like to see the four go on another adventure. Although if they were to go on another adventure I would imagine it would be someplace else (my imagination goes for jungle adventure). Plus concerning them helping the Antarctic Observation Team build the observatory, I think that might be unlikely as they would be occupy with other matters in their lives (mostly concerning university). Plus ultimately constructing observatory is the dream of the Antarctic Observation Team and not of Mari and her friends. At best I can see them returning to Antarctica one day when the observatory has been finish (especially since Mari did made her friends promise they would return one day).

HeeroTX wrote:

I neither knew, nor cared about that factoid. But now that I've been motivated to look it up:

According to Antarctic law, all active research stations must remove all their trash from the environment. Human sewage and food waste are permitted to be discharged into the sea, though many stations have installed biological treatment plants and incinerators to deal with these waste products in a more environmentally-friendly way.
https://hmdecozine.com/2017/02/04/waste_in_antarctica/


Thanks for sharing more information concerning this law Heero as well as providing a link to your source.

- - -

I forgot to mention one thing. Every time I read people addressing this anime as Universe, I think of Steven Universe given both the title of the show and that fact that is the last name of the protagonist. For this reason it feels kind of odd for this anime to have this nickname, but not in a bad way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 3121
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
srlracing wrote:
meiam wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
According to Antarctic law, all active research stations must remove all their trash from the environment. Human sewage and food waste are permitted to be discharged into the sea, though many stations have installed biological treatment plants and incinerators to deal with these waste products in a more environmentally-friendly way.
https://hmdecozine.com/2017/02/04/waste_in_antarctica/

Dang, Heero. The guy only knows 3 things, and you had to destroy one of them. That's harsh.


They would still have to carry it with them on the helicopter to discharge them from the boat if they didn't have an incinerator on site.

At the end of episode 10 is a scene with the girls minus Yuzu cleaning out the incinerator and Shirase says that they take it back after a year on the expedition.


Not sure if you can use the same kind of incinerator for trash and biological sample. Can you imagine during weeks of old poop in the middle of the camp...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StarchildStorm



Joined: 25 Apr 2017
Posts: 72
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
I need to get back to the show. Kind of only just got on board with it and only seen the first four thus far. Loving the show but I tend to multitask so subs aren't really the most convenient for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DuskyPredator
Subscriber



Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 14868
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:39 am Reply with quote
As mentioned above, picking a clear winner among the girls is hard, as they are all great. In particular I was fond of HInata for her aspects, but I do think that Shirase was the best because I fell in love with her characteristics like appearing sensible, before seeing her much sillier side, yet feeling genuine. Hinata was kind of the perfect opposite of Shirase. Like the perfect foil, before even Mari and Yuzuki also added in their great sides.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
neozxtc



Joined: 25 Jun 2015
Posts: 23
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:51 am Reply with quote
Such a shame that people aren't willing to give this show as chance because they read the synopsis on CR and are like, I don't get it.

I love the show from the beginning and had a feeling that it would be really good in the end. So much so that I am buying the Japanese BD even though it has no subs. Sad And I even picked up the sound track.

I would say that this, Laid Back Camp, and Takagi-san are my 3 favorites.

My friend gave it a little review and I 100% agree.

Quote:
kk1

"A Place Further Than the Universe best show of the season, just an all around well done show, from the animation to music it was all excellent and not a single lull in the story or a dull episode. Plus just not your typical anime with a very realistic look at friendship and adventure, no fan service or over the top comedy and none was required."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group