• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gegege no Kitarou (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote

Gegege no Kitarou (TV)

Genres: supernatural
Themes:

Plot
The classic tale of Gegege no Kitaro told yet again. The story is the usual in the Gegege no Kitaro series. Kitaro is a boy living in the Gegege Forest/Cemetery (lands where many Yokai roam) with his mostly dead father (who survives only in his eye), Sunakake Babaa, NekoMusume, and Konaki Jiji. One difference between this Kitaro and all of the others that came before him, is that this one has brown hair instead of the standard grayish silver. (Myanimelist)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Episode 1:
I haven't seen the original series before but this had my interest as Kitaro is a really peculiar yet curious character.

It takes place in a modern setting and I'm also interested in how far they develop the cast. The supernatural elements feels lighthearted and I like some of the character chemistry going on so far. Daddy Eyeball definitely has my attention as one of the strangest looking characters I've seen this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:21 am Reply with quote
I did not know what to expect, but the first episode was actually pretty cool. And actually pretty creepy, in a way that still feels inviting. I think that it might have my attention if it keeps quality close to this.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else think that idiot sacrilegious YouTuber character that released the demon was a lambasting of Logan Paul?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
It would be hilarious if it was.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

I thought that this was mostly a kids show at the start, and it has had episodes and plots that can be, but some episodes like this involve things like actual death, which are a real shock for thinking it be just what be what we would assume is child friendly.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I thought that this was mostly a kids show at the start, and it has had episodes and plots that can be, but some episodes like this involve things like actual death, which are a real shock for thinking it be just what be what we would assume is child friendly.

The series has a long, varied history. The very earliest comics were horror. (see the Hakaba no Kitaro anime) Then it got kiddified when it became an anime, although there was sometimes mild "TV death" in the 60s-70s show. The 80s one seems to be a flat out shonen action show from what I've seen with little scares or fatalities.

I think this new show is trying to represent all of these incarnations.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

I wonder if this show realizes how on point it was about there actually being a conspiracy that limits the supply of diamonds to artificially raise its value. And is hardly a secret thing. It is like a well known thing that pretty much a single company bought up all diamond mines.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

This show has occasionally touched on important and hard to talk about topics. With this episode, I would not have guessed that it would be brave enough to really talk about Japan's part in war, and do so seriously. It is somewhat my understanding that Japan, or really any country, can forget the horrible things that it did in the past, and feel uncomfortable explaining it to the youth, and that Mana's misconception of the war just being Japan being invaded might not be too unlikely. I have said my misgivings before about things like Kantai Collection that felt like it was practically glorifying the war, so the sober representation here I think was well done, even if it was still sympathetic to an individual soldier forced into it. The episode finishing with Mana reading out her research into it, after thinking she could do the summer research on some youkai thing, was a nice touch, about war being a real monster humanity.

Lest we forget.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 27

Looks like they are bringing western Youkai/monsters into the mix. They have shown a castle quite a bit, which made me think of Hogwarts, but thinking Japanese media, Castlevania also came to mind, along with a bunch of monsters. While a werewolf, vampire, and witch are kind of fine, I don't really get straight up Victor Frankenstein as Frankenstein's monster, it is not part of any legends rather than an author. And some big eye called Backbeard, that I have no idea about. Actually looking for similarities, kind of feels like the more similar thing to Youkai would be fairies, just look at The Ancient Magus' Bride. Although, I guess gothic would be what they want to go for,
SomeHero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
for me, its started strong, but lost his air pretty fast. Every time the same Technics was cool maybe 10 - 12 Years ago, but those days i expect a little Variety.
kt86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Can someone let me know if this is an entirely new remake or is it a continuation from the 2007 series?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:50 am Reply with quote
kt86 wrote:
Can someone let me know if this is an entirely new remake or is it a continuation from the 2007 series?

I think that it has generally acted like previous seasons did happen, with I think the first episodes having references to people who may have known Kitaro. Don't know about 2007 series specifically, but it has not felt like something that you have to see previous seasons to get an understanding, or re-treading previous plotlines. Some episodes have rather topical themes that really relevant to modern times., or other things that are quite noticeable.

Youtuber Gaijin Goomba has done videos on some of the episodes with notable topics, that you could find some by looking up "Gaijin Goomba Gegege no Kitaro" if you want to see a bit of how it has touched on new things.
kt86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:48 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
kt86 wrote:

I think that it has generally acted like previous seasons did happen, with I think the first episodes having references to people who may have known Kitaro. Don't know about 2007 series specifically, but it has not felt like something that you have to see previous seasons to get an understanding, or re-treading previous plotlines. Some episodes have rather topical themes that really relevant to modern times., or other things that are quite noticeable.

Youtuber Gaijin Goomba has done videos on some of the episodes with notable topics, that you could find some by looking up "Gaijin Goomba Gegege no Kitaro" if you want to see a bit of how it has touched on new things.

Oh okay, thank you. But do they reintroduce all the main characters? I haven't watched any of the previous series, so I hope I don't have to watch any of the previous series to know their backstories.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:37 am Reply with quote
kt86 wrote:
Oh okay, thank you. But do they reintroduce all the main characters? I haven't watched any of the previous series, so I hope I don't have to watch any of the previous series to know their backstories.

I haven't seen any of the previous series either, and I have been fine. I have mostly keyed together personality through how they introduced them in this series, so I think they do a fine job, it is not really that complex. In that I was saying characters from previous series may have been referenced, it was mostly a giuess based on how some children talked about a grandparent that knew the titular character, in a way I think was mostly just a nod. I am pretty sure kids are expected to be able to watch this season without having seen others.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote
Some of the episodes draw directly from Mizuki's works, others seem like new material from Toei. The episodes that present various yokai from Japanese myth are, I suspect, remakes of Mizuki's manga. Other arcs like the one that opens the show seem entirely new. Some of the discussants in the AnimeSuki forum for this show are better informed on these matters than me.

My personal choice for "best episode of 2018," episode 20 of GeGeGe no Kitarou, was written by Toei. It relies on Mizuki's history as a Japanese soldier in Papua New Guinea to indict official Japan, and especially its educational system, for its unwillingness to confront its past.

This show consistently earns high marks from me. It has its ups and downs, of course, but there are so many excellent episodes that even the low points are "good" by the standards of most anime.

All the Kitarou stories employ a standard cast of supporting characters like Neko-Musume (annoyingly translated as "Catchick" in the current CR subtitles), Nezumi-Otoko ("Rat-Man"), and Medama-Oyagi ("Daddy-Eyeball"). All you need to know about them is in the show itself. (Daddy-Eyeball's origin isn't explained; for that watch episode one of 2007's noitaminA remake Hakaba Kitarou.)

Joining them is an entirely original character, the 13-yo human girl Mana. She's an excellent addition to the cast.

Oh, and Toei spared no expense to produce this 50th Anniversary edition of Kitarou.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2