• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lawyer Sues NTT for Blocking Pirate Manga Sites

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:24 am Reply with quote
Freedom of Speech means that things can be said that the majority strongly disagrees with.

The Japanese struggle with this same as everyone else. It looks to me that their Constitution and Laws are strongly worded so censoring anything will be hard to do.

As they say, where's the popcorn? It's time for the show.

Mark Gosdin
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:32 am Reply with quote
I figured someone would challenge it, and I'm happy to see that they did. Censoring the internet is not the answer nor is it a good sign to see a supposedly free state start doing so. I fully support cracking down on sites hosting illegal content but not censoring access.

Also from this part, "The secrecy of communications being handled by a telecommunications carrier shall not be violated," it makes it sound like the entire fact that the government has any idea who is visiting any of these sites itself is an issue. Perhaps anonymized, aggregate information is not protected under that though... medical information here is suppose to be protected but can be shared if anonymized.
Sakurafire_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:49 am Reply with quote
Which censoring the internet is very, very bad... People's livelihoods are being destroyed because of these pirate sites. How is getting rid of them a bad thing for anyone??
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:07 am Reply with quote
The Japanese Constitution and how it shows in law are two different things mostly because that constitution was penned by US GI's with no Japanese input also this is japan ace attorney is sort of how law is seen
Yorl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
Sakurafire_ wrote:
Which censoring the internet is very, very bad... People's livelihoods are being destroyed because of these pirate sites. How is getting rid of them a bad thing for anyone??

While we're at it, who needs due process? All the people accused by the government are really bad people, so why do we need the legal system? Lets just make NTT the judge, jury and executioner. /sarcasm
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:51 am Reply with quote
1 - I think there are even some mangaka who called the whole ''sites destroying livelyhood'' argument bulls**t. Those sites tend to be used by people who don't have much disposable income to begin with.

2 - Regardless, the constitution is to be followed. If they're allowed to make this unconstitutional move, they will be allowed to supress everything they don't like. That some people are so short-sighted to see this, is worrying.

3 - This case may have a ripple effect on other forms of censorship in Japanese Law, like say, pixeling. I mean, Rokudenashiko getting sued over a 3d print of her vagina? Really?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1