• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord (TV)
Season 2 - How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord Omega (TV)

Genres: fantasy
Themes: isekai

Plot Summary: In the MMORPG Cross Reverie, Takuma Sakamoto is so powerful that he is lauded as the “Demon Lord” by other players. One day, he is summoned to a world outside his own, but with the same appearance he had in the game. There, he meets two girls who both proclaim themselves to be his Summoner. They perform an Enslavement Ritual to turn him into their Summon, but that’s when Takuma’s passive ability Magic Reflection activates. Instead, it is the girls who become enslaved. Though Takuma may be the strongest Sorcerer there is, he has no idea how to talk with other people. It is here he makes his choice: to act based on his persona from the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:16 am Reply with quote
Hmm, so someone saw Overlord and thought about what they would do different. In ways, I kind of approve. I don't know if other people have the problem, but something that always bothered me about Overlord was that Ainz's character is sort of weird in his character being suppressed, that it is hard to see what is even his old personality. I like how Diablo here is mostly still his old self, and a twist that acting demon lord like is his way of coping with social situations. The name Diablo, especially with demons and games, is not that creative, after all there being a game series named after it.

The ecchi stuff is hit and miss, it can be a guilty pleasure, but the focus on breasts has also been a bit distracting so far. It may come down to how I can temper my expectations. But I have been pretty fine with blander shows, and more fanservice shows, so this is in my ballpark.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:03 am Reply with quote
Im enjoying this so i went hunting for the light novels, it says they are published in English by J novel club so i assume that's digital only? either way i nearly wound up buy volume 1 of the manga because seven seas are less than helpful and are blanking me on twitter.

Anyhoo yeah the series is pretty typical so far except the protag actually getting hands on the women, normally they freak out and run or cower but this guy is just going for it lol and elf girl was actually into it so its got some slight difference. Im really enjoying the isekai genre and its got me reading light novels too so thats a bonus.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Would it be a problem if I said that I found some of episode 2 pretty sexy? As bad as I tend to find non-consensual things.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't exactly say the girls didn't like it, so what't the problem?
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah I did not feel like it was creepy at all. The Elf was into it , and Rem has no trouble defending herself. I have to say I was a little surprised the whole in the video game animes have not really appealed to me. This one feels a little different. Perhaps it has something to do with Diablo I liked the character almost immediately. I loved watching him surprise the hell out of that mage association guy and the elves that came after the princess (don't recall her name at the moment). Also they have already hinted that there is a real risk of death similar to SAO. One of the things I am curious about and hope they address is how in the hell did he get summoned into the game world and why the hell isn't he more alarmed by the fact. Seems like he took it extremely well like as in oh I am in the game world , wow check out the hot chicks. I hope he gets a bit more depth going forward.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:16 am Reply with quote
Mugen1style wrote:
One of the things I am curious about and hope they address is how in the hell did he get summoned into the game world and why the hell isn't he more alarmed by the fact.

I practically half expect I could get sucked into a game when I am playing one, you could think I am joking but when playing something like Skyrim I actually feel happy when I have a place to stay and a nice nest egg set up in case I end up inside the game. I am doing it right now with a follower of Zenithar (god of wealth, labor and commerce) build that I have been playing.

One of the things I liked about Subaru in Re:Zero, is that he quickly just accepted he got pulled into a fantasy world, because that is what a good geek does. Hopefully not end up in a Re:Zero type fantasy world. And why I hope the Dark Souls and Bloodborne are not the kind that influence world ending up in.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
I get ya. I am not a gamer and probably not a very good geek either but I have always loved hanging with my gamer friends and watching them play , bit of a voyeur I guess. I have pictured my self in the game world before so I know what you mean while watching I always look at the world my friends are building and think about what I would do. I just totally suck at modern games. Give me an old arcade counsel and I can do pretty good but those days are pretty much gone now especially where I live there are no arcade style games anywhere in the area.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Well ep 3 seems to be the start of the actual plot. The Commander of the Fallen looks a bit out of place compared to her compatriots but as we all know looks can be deceiving. Speaking of deceiving I get the feeling the Celes might not be as good as she is made out to be, guess will see on that front. Galluk certainly had a secret. Of course the inevitable cliff hanger have to wait til next week to see how it plays out -_- The show is fun so I don't plan to get hung up on the details too much I can safely say I will not be dropping this one even if it jumps the shark at this point I just have to know what happens in the end or rather how it happens because the outcome is pretty obvious. The only surprise I would expect or suspect would be that Diablo ends up staying in that world. I mean he is a shut in , in the other world does he really have anything to return too?
SomeHero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:05 am Reply with quote
seen now 2 eps of this and 2 of the valkyrie isekai Thing... prefer the first one. Its an good mix from funny and serious. Okay, some oppai, but it seems youth - free until now.
Oh, and an interesting Catgirl, meow Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Wow, that got pretty involved. To think that in the series it would make us like tspoiler[he demon lord, Klem], turn the spoiler[third member of the harem into a villain], and have spoiler[Rem become a pincushion for swords]. Generally this show has got away with being pretty sexy, but I would say it also succeeded in interesting story beats. Well, this was better than the incestuous elf rapist part of the show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I just got done with final episodes of shows that I was pretty negative about, and yet I am going to be positive on this ecchi show, where the female main characters are forced into being servants to the main character, and all sorts of raunchy stuff happens. I did like the end of this, I would even go so far to say that there did feel like some weight behind the message of being yourself, and you can get a fresh start.

Mother's Basement recently did a video that I think did some good work on explaining why despite so many things, this show is actually pretty good. Sure the girls are forced into being slaves to the main characters, ending up with collars, but in spite of that, I think it somehow manages to be more palatable than many series that don't have something to that extent. The biggest I think is that as strange as it sounds, it is fun, in something as simple as it seems that the girls are into him, they don't really seemed to be forced into something they shout no as he accidentally feels them up. He like used his master powers once to make them make up when they were fighting, other than that has not forced his will on them, the girls I am sure see that despite his act he is not going to force anything on them. If anything they seem to enjoy being close with him, and that is actually sexy. The show is sexy, and I say that where I can find it kind of gross in many shows where female characters can supposedly have hot bodies and lots of nudity, and the shared enjoyment is a part of that.

Not always successful, though. What would come to mind is how uncomfortable Shera's brother was with her. But it got past that. A repeat of I will even call out Shera as sexy, and I normally am not into the big breasted characters. In addition that she actually seems to have a character to back up her elf hotness, lots of the characters do. Diablo too, he is not the same cookie cutter male character we often see, as well as not been a total pervert that makes him hard to watch like an Issei. Diablo has his character flaw in bad social skills that he covers up, and has actual influence on what happens. Klem, who only appeared in the last few episodes, actually managed to become instantly likable.

The show possibly had missteps, and did things in way that might not work for every type of story, but for what it was, it did well at being an enjoyable watch. I give a rating of Good (7/10), it is worth watching and probably especially so if you want an ecchi fantasy show that can have some fun, but also manage to be more than eye candy.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
The only sexy girls in this show were the big, or at least normal breasted girls actually.
But that's no surprise, that's because they were the ones with the good, detailed shots, while smaller girls got lazily drawn - but that's just because anime always operates on big boob catering, so no surprise they cut back on the "creepy niche".
At least it had the best kind of ending for a 12 episodes adaptation, and the MC had some moments where he felt like a likable character.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
The ecchi scenes were so campy I just laughed at them. The whole controversy over the slave aspect was kind of misplaced in my opinion. It did not really play into the story at all except that it allowed the girls an excuse to stay with Diablo and also for Klem to be able to eat biscuits. Over all and enjoyable romp of an RPG that did not take its self to seriously. If I can get this dubbed I am in for a purchase.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Bump reminder for S2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2